Masters Running

Saturday - July 4th - 2015 (Read 35 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Hmmm,  like father, like son?  Mike, sorry you didn't have quite the race you hoped for, but 3rd at Nationals is great!  And congrats to Ryan, too!

Dave, that's a lot of races over the years.  Nice new PR!

Also excellent racing for Amy, Twocat, Henry, Marj, and Jaywalker!  (love that nickname - not sure who coined it!)

No racing here - just a quiet day, trying to avoid the crowds by sticking close to home.  DH and I went for a 4 mile hike this morning, and I went out for a run this afternoon that got cut short by a thunderstorm, so only 2 miles.  But that's okay, my legs are tired from yesterday's long run.

No going out for fireworks here - it's pouring rain.  Hope the rest of you get a nice show!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

No fireworks here, they're banned because of the dry conditions. Got into the low 80's today, sunny with almost no smoke. These sorts of days are so special, I just love it. DH and I were outside almost all day working on the yard, garden and deck. I did get in a 10 mile hilly run today at 8:10 avg pace, but I did take some breaks to look for blueberries (early, but I did find some!) and met a friend I hadn't seen in years who was with a group of others with their horses. Stopped and had a nice chat before taking off again.

Mike you had a good run, and with all your experience it still makes me feel a little better than you go out too fast, too! Awesome job though, nothing to feel bad about. And ^5 to Ryan for his half marathon!

So much good running, racing and hanging out today. I hope everyone had a great 4th and has a good Sunday. I just had such a good time having all these days off... 4 day weekends rock! Oh, and there's another day to go, too! Woot! Having my parents out for dinner tomorrow, along with DS1 and his GF. We'll grill up some ribeye steaks and a couple of salmon fillets, with asparagus, and sweet peppers on the grill, a salad from the garden and Alaska potatoes (that I got from the store... mine aren't ready yet!).

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good bad jobs dave and mikeE and good good job everyone else.

I wonder what the founding fathers would have thought about grown men and women running around in skimpy attire to celebrate them.
        Me too dave, but the 13 minutes off what I ran in 1996 in an almost annual Firecracker 5000 yesterday-and-today (11:40pm - 12:16 a.m.) would have been a 26-minute PW if it’d been a 10K.  However, wearing only a U.S. flag swimming boxer and the reflective vest they had for the one-and-only time twenty years ago got me in the costume contest and one of several  runner up free entries one of their future races this year. Yippee.
        deezie - 1. any “wild salmon” from Alaska (mostly (a) King (Chinook) or (b) Red (Sockeye)) will have no additives and, I think, Canada too. 
        2.  Farmed Atlantic salmon from Norway and Silver (Coho) salmon from Chile aren’t supposed to have additives but their feed may be “enhanced” to impart reddness.  3.  However, particularly in years of exceptional abundance, there’s considerable uncertainty about what gets put in excess salmon (mostly Pink and Chum salmon) that are shipped to China for processing and returned to U.S. and other markets.
        I’ll check when I get a  chance to go back up north to salmon-land for a late-July GS visit.
        ps - since there’s no chance they would change the venue to the other side of town as almost caused arriving at an empty parking area and nearly missing last year’s Labor Day Half Marathon after 20 years,  why would someone who’s been going to the same Seattle Center 11:55 p.m. start since 1996 when they didn’t even have web pages bother to check the event web page?  Maybe the Labor Day lesson but it’s a good thing I did because they changed to start to 11:40 p.m. to be able to give out certificates to the speedsters who could finish before it became July 4.  Whew.
        ps - sometime fixing flats is the most important part of a triathlon but I hope not.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly--spicy Thai slaw sounds intriguing--recipe post, please?

Totally easy:

1 bottle of Trader Joe's Thai Peanut Dressing

2 packages of shredded cabbage/carrot mix (32 oz)

1 cup of raisins (more if you prefer)

1 cup peanuts (this is best if you use Trader Joe's Blister Peanuts, which are extra crunchy)

Mix it all up and serve!

Great racing, all of you!  Marj - stick to your guns about the AG.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."