Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 9.1.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

From the quick scanning of the past few days' posts, there seems to have been some great running going on around here - nothing surprising there! But my congrats still go out to you all.

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I headed out this morning in mild (70ºWink, muggy temps. However, I just kept going, so it evolved into a longish (for me) workout. I didn't have any fluids with me and was sweating a bit, and was worried about dehydration. I grabbed a bit of water from someone's lawn sprinkler, and found a water fountain late in the workout. But it wasn't enough, and I was runnin' on empty at about 11 miles of the 12.5 mile workout. I was somewhat dehydrated when I got home, and mixed up some recovery fluids and sucked them down right away. I've gone a little over 27 miles in the last 3 days which, for an ole' walker like me, is pretty big. Maybe I'll take the rest of the day off - unless I decide to do some yard work, and/or we decided to go kayaking...

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Hi Jay, and others to follow.

The Saint and I did our customary Monday morning recovery run of 3.4 miles, felt okay.

After taking the summer off from the Dallas Morning News Running Blog, I post for the first time today, so I'll hit the shower, eat my oatmeal and get that post up, then it's an easy day at home with family.  Spareribs

...mornin' guys//............didn't know what I wanted to do either,

so hopped on the bike and headed out

two words-

YARD SALE

......not a Biking Friendly Environment.....

==========

30-min,,,,,,,,,cut it short, headed back to see our company off.....

sadly,

my old running buddy figures he has about 5-years left....

.........it's tough

to see one of my earliest Marathoners thinking like that

(back in the 70's I thought he was Nuts for running them)

...............good running guys..............

,,,,,,oh ps,,,,,,,,of course I don't think any of YOU are Nuts for running them

back then

the Current Wisdom

was

''Marathon Runners are Born, Not Made''

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>although I forget who was quoted saying that

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Hey Jay, Ribs and TW and all to come.

Nice work Jay.

Ribs is blogging again. Cool.

Yard sales are good. If you can carry stuff home.

Ran a local 10k this morning. It's a nice race but a but hilly. No pr but a 41:24 and 1AG and 5OA. Good way to start a day.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing, C-R!

Puttering around the house day here, will do some office work from home, clean a bit, do some mending, and then bake peanut butter cookies. Masterpiece Mystery on tap for later.

7.2 easy paced miles, followed by lower body weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Ran an easy, sweaty 3 while Henry walked.  Then spent a couple of hours cleaning, rearranging and tossing stuff - ugh, but it looks good!

C-R - nice!

Jay - I'm in awe. my DD in stratham started out for 14 this morning and gave up at 6 - and is now at the beach cooling off!

enjoy your labors or lack of today!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tom - you are one of the special jewels of humanity.

Maybe I'll come back there too when my time comes.

Still glowing about the sub-12m/m pace in yesterday's Labor Day Half Marathon,  . .

and, if it works, for other reasons.<<<(<<<(300mi francesca and  Iron-Sylvia)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I skipped the big Labor Day Run that I have run many times since moving here.  A 5k & 10k with hot dogs, fresh baked goods and a potluck afterwards.  Instead I got in 8.26 miles around the neighborhood with plans to do some stuff around the house later.

Only now I don't feel like doing anything, so I am going to let it all go for another week and just relax and read some.  Maybe we'll get some strong winds and hail later to liven things up a bit.

Thanks for the start Jay and whether an 'ole walker or runner---awesome workout.

Yum, peanut butter cookies! Sounds awesome Holly and a good day planned too.

Sweet racing C-R and you too Tet!!

It's incredibly tough to see a treasured friend talk about endings like that TW. So sorry and whenever I spot a tag sale while out running, I turn and head in the other direction. Too many distracted drivers trying to get as close to the sale as possible come far too close to running me over.

Humid as heck here today and yesterday too. I raced a 15k in Burlington VT and if it's possible to find an ugly course in VT, this race was it---all sides of major roads and asphalt and barely a glimpse of Lake Champlain even though we were right there. Oh well. Fun team race and lots of super fast competitors from the NE clubs. I ran 24 miles today to keep up the running on tried legs training. This was another multiple loops run at the nearby reservoir. I was sweating so much you could hear my shoes squishing. bleh. Got it done and not so many super long ones before 9/28. 368 miles in August.

Glad to hear you're blogging again Ribs. Looking forward.

I plan on being pretty lazy for the rest of the day and then tomorrow it's back to the execu-drag and lots of work travel.

BTY

Good Labor Day afternoon all. Checked in earlier this morning and was inspired to go long. I really haven't run any long runs besides four 15k races in the past two years. And usually 'long' in my log is 1 mile warm up/4 miles/1 mile cool down. So I did 7 miles in 1:02:16. To be honest I can't remember my last 7 mile training run. Best part was passing a lady on a mountain bike and holding her off for about a mile and a half  

Tammy, your son and his team did well in their 50K relay.  Holly, my wife grows basil and makes pesto, too.  She usually freezes it in small (2 oz  ?) paper cups.  At the end of the season we will have several gallon zip lock bags full of those cups.  Aamos, nice 5K with 3rd place.  tet, congrats on your half, beating your nemesis for 1st time in 28 years.  C-R, nice 1 AG finish in your 10K.  CNY nice 15K race.

Nice long runs for Twocat, evan, mari, Tramps, deez, Holly, wild, ribs and The Saint, Starr, Jay, CNY, and BTY.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and there was just a light wind.  I woke up with tired, achy, legs and running was a struggle.  I did 3 miles at an 11:16 pace.

The last couple of days, my wife and I have been making salsa.  This morning, we finished:  52 1/2 pints canned.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

For some reason this post really energized one of our members on this forum. Can you guess who it was?

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/09/dead-indians-batman-and-great-beer.html/

Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tet - what a stellar race you had!  And Francesca pulled you along - how cool.

Nothing new here, 5 Cougar Mtn. miles, legs were dead at first but then woke up.  Best part, 3rd day of running in a row and no aches whatsoever from my knee or foot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Happy Labor Day my friends - glad to be off today and taking a break from those "laboring" women although I must say I had some of the nicest patients these past 3 days.

Went out for a very sticky sweat test run today - one hour of running and no fluids before or during ... I lost 2.4lbs on my run and am working with one of our MVS coaches to see if I am not replacing that enough during my marathons which leads to the cramping or if it's something else.  Glad to be working 1:1 with one of our coaches for this training period!!  Oh and I ran 6.6 miles in 61 minutes today!!

I didn't do the .3 last night to round me up to a prime number - exhausted and raining and didnt'care enough - lol .....but now even more glad I didn't ....I was reviewing my training log and realized I logged a run in as a bike so no prime number for me this month!!  

Happy Trails -- oh and I think we still need one more runner for our RTB team right Matt?

denise