Masters Running

Two Boomer Boys on 2012 World Mega-Marathon Ranking (Read 43 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Two former Boomer boys who still post on the RA Masters Board once-in-a-while have been recognized in the annual World Mega-Marathon Rankings published by the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club..

224. Tom Detore (USA) - 349 marathons/ultra
    249.  Robert. Lopez (USA) - 336 marathons/ultra

Limited to runners who have completed 300 or more marathons and beyond events, the group’s North American home page indicates it’s an accomplishment limited to 0.0000000427% of the people on the planet:  “more people have orbited the earth . . .  and more climbers have summited Mt. Everest than have completed 300 or more marathons/ultras. . . .”   However, the prevalence and popularity of marathons has doubled the 167 qualifiers in 2009 to 334 mega-runners listed for 2012.
    Congratulations Tom and Robert.

http://www.worldmegamarathonranking.com/World_Megamarathon_Ranking/World_Ranking.html
    World Mega-Marathon Rankings (through 12/31/2012)
    1.  Christian Hotta (Germany) - 1,950
    2.  Horst Preisler (Germany) - 1,806
    3.  Sigrid Eichner (Germany) - 1,741
    4.  Kalevi Saukkonen (Finland) - 1,571
    5.  Hans-Joachim Meyer (Netherlands) - 1,448
    6.  Willin Mutze (Germany) - 1,215
    7.  Wilhelm Mutze (Germany) - 1,215
    8.  Giichi Kojima (Japan) - 1,173
    9.  Peter Wieneke (Germany) - 1,037
    10. Jim Simpson (USA) - 1,000

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

WOW!!  That is very cool!!  Congratulations Tom and Robert!!

denise

arf

MM #405

Thanks for posting this Tet.........

Huge Congrats to Tom and Robert!   Amazing athletes and incredibly sweet and humble men.

With respect and admiration

arf

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow!  Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wow what is with those Germans???

This made me smile:

0.0000000427% of the people on the planet

Too incredible for words.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Maniac 505

Yep, huge congrats to Tom and Robert.  both GREAT guys.  Larry Macon of Texas just passed his 1000th life time marathon.

As for the Germans.  Yep.  lots from there, and not to take away anything from any of them,  I can't imagine the effort it takes, but logistically it is easier in Germany than in many parts of the world to run mega marathons.

Mike E

MM #5615

I've only got 959 to go to get 1000!  Woo Hoo!