Masters Running

Covered Bridges HM RR (Read 329 times)

New skirt in town

Mainly because Ribs keeps pestering me, I decided to post a RR.

I've uploaded some pictures from my race weekend, so I thought I'd post a race report now!

Back story: I developed terrible plantar fasciitis at the Boston Marathon 7 weeks ago, and could barely walk for a
    week afterwards. I didn't even start running again until 4 weeks ago, and that has been for short, slow runs, interspersed with walking. I did manage a slow 12.5 miles 2 weeks ago, and felt great, but when I tried 7.5 miles on June 3 with a few miles at HM pace, my foot complained vociferously. I was not at ALL sure I'd be able to run my race!

The Covered Bridges Half Marathon is one of the most picturesque races in the country. It gets its name because you either cross or pass 7 covered bridges. Here's a picture of DS near one of them:

It is a small and charming race...and it is one of the most highly sought after registrations there is. Although I ran this race in 2007 and 2008, I wasn't able to get a number in 2009 and 2010 because the race sold out so quickly. This year, I thought I'd try it again...and lo and behold, I got myself a number last December!! The race sold out in 12 minutes online, so I felt like I had scored some incredible seat to a rock concert or something.

So, injured or not, I really wanted to run this beautiful race. Who knew when I'd get a chance to do it again?

We drove up to Woodstock, VT on Friday afternoon, at the start of what turned out to be the most perfect stretch of weather they had seen in some time! Puffy clouds, green, rolling hills, and temps in the 60's and 70's  during the day.

On Saturday, we just relaxed. We visited the Vermont Institute of Natural Science, and thoroughly enjoyed the raptor exhibits and the grounds.

My  DS had SO much fun doing the scavenger hunt there...he was so diligent about reading everything about all of the birds on exhibit to find the answers to the questions...and they were NOT easy!

We also went to Billings Farm, which is another destination along the route of the race:

Saturday  night, we dined at the restaurant at our hotel. It was a tasty, tasty meal and the restaurant itself was gorgeous! There was a big fountain in the center, with river rocks and birch branches set into ferns. Into the birch branches were set tiny little birds nest, into which they had set little eggs! (Hatched already).  Will wanted to see one, so I fished one out...

You can see one of the new essential problems with my race strategy right here in this picture above: champagne. And wine with dinner. Lots of it. I had no expectations about my run the next day, so I was treating it as if it wasn't really happening. And I must say that I overindulged!!

The  next morning, I wakened with a full on hangover. Headachey...bellyachey...the full deal. I hydrated for several hours and forced down some Gu, taped up my foot and hopped on the shuttle from our hotel to the race start. (There were about 100 runners staying at the Woodstock Inn, and they arranged a really nice shuttle service to the start so that our families could sleep in!). It was 47 degrees outside when I first stepped out, and you could see your breath!

I knew it would warm up pretty fast, so I wasn't worried. I hopped on the shuttle at around 7:20, arrived at the start, stood in line for my bib, and then hopped into the port-a-potty line at around 7:45 AM. I turned around and realized that the woman standing behind me was my old physical therapist! We had a nice conversation and strolled up to the starting line. She was uninjured and (as far as I could tell) not hung over, so I was sure she was going to have a faster run than I.

The starting gun went off at 8:15 AM and I let her go on her way while I shuffled for the 1st mile or 2, warming up and testing out my foot. By mile 3, I felt pretty good, so I let myself pick up the pace a bit. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best!

At around mile 4.5, we came  through the town of Woodstock, past the town Green where out hotel was (the Woodstock Inn) and where my DH and DS said they would be. They ended up being on the opposite side of the road from what they had told me, but I managed to find them. Here's a picture DH took, which I love because you can see my arm reaching out to high-five my son in the reflection of my sunglasses.

I just took it nice and steady, along River Road along the Ottauquechee River,and the weather was perfect. It warmed into the upper 50's for the morning. This  picture was taken at Simon Pierce glass works later on in the day, about 1 mile from the finish line.

As I neared the finish, I slowed to see if I could see my DH and DS. No such luck! So, instead of slowing, I just figured I'd see how much gas was left in the engine, so I took the pace up. My Garmin shows my last 1/4 mile in 7:32 pace! I felt shockingly good given my low expectations for this race!

All told, I finished in 1:51:11 (8:25 min/mile). I was 25/151 in my age group and 561/1849 overall. It was a personal worst HM time, but as far as I was concerned, it was a TERRIFIC time given where I was in terms of rehabbing my foot. It was beautiful day, I felt terrific. The finisher's medals were so perfectly charming, too: little wooden covered bridges!

I'm  hoping to be able to run this race again next year! We'll see if my fingers will be nimble enough to allow me to get in the narrow online registration window!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

an amazing likeness

Great pictures! 

I've been trying to get registered for the CBHM for a couple years with no luck...hopefuly next year.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

lamerunner

Nice race and great report!  I ran this race a few times many years ago before it became so hard to get in. It is a beautful course! Aounds like you had a great relaxing weekend too!

Mike E

MM #5615

Great report!  It looks like the whole family had a great time!

Tramps

Congratulations on a fine race. 

Nice report and wonderful pictures.  That one of your son reflected in your glasses is a classic!

I love this whole area...Woodstock...White River Jct...Hanover.  Sounds like a beautiful race. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Great report. I love the pictures ! The one of your DS next to the river is very cool.

Nice race...Looks like one I'd love to do.

Henrun

Great report Robin. You did really well considering your PF and the the pre-race feast and champagne (it was worth it!).

coastwalker

Hi Robin,

Sorry about the hangover, but otherwise, your pre-race dinner beverages sound quite tasty. Given your foot issues, you took a great approach to the race, had a great time with your family (and have the charming photos to prove it), and made it sound like you really enjoyed earning your PW. Congratulations on continuing to be the smart racer that we've always known you to be. And thanks for all the shots of DS and your wonderful smile - they tell it all.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Great report.  Great pictures.  I'm glad Ribs kept pestering you.  That looks like a fun race but too hard to get in I guess for someone with average finger speed.

Mariposai

Mainly because Ribs keeps pestering me, I decided to post a RR.

(yeah...don't we all love the wiseone!!!) Ribs so rulesss!!!

I enjoyed your race report Robin. I love your carefree spirit! and Sistahhh you did amazinly well considering all the "fun" drinks you had the day before!!!

This is my absolute favorite picture!!

Your boy is sure growing up to be a carefree fun loving person, just like his mama!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Robin - great race report!  I love the pics (your DS is getting so big!).  You did awesome, especially considering your PF (and the hangover) - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Gret report, Robin.  It's nice to just have a relaxed approach to a race once in a while.  Okay, maybe a hangover indicates you were a little too relaxed.  It looks like everyone had a wonderful time.  Take care of that PF--many of us have been there.

Thanks for posting this, Robin.  I enjoyed your report and the pictures.  It sounds like you enjoyed your race and the whole family had a great weekend.  That's success.

TomS

I think this race, with all its scenery is the perfect one to run hungover and at PW pace.  That picture with the sunglasses is a  keeper.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."