Masters Running

Saturday 5 10 14 (Read 38 times)

Mariposai

Great race Perchcreek. Cool experiment.

4 miles with the Easy Pacer.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nice time there Perch!

And hey, what is with the slacking off???

TomS - big congrats on all those races!!

That Tag!  Remi wants to tell Tag that he chewed up part of a wall and a door jam at his new dog-sitter's house last weekend.  He is a dysfunctional Remi!!!  The sitter said she will still take him again.....gosh, I feel so bad!

I have a 5K tomorrow, and I am feeling very fat, slow and slightly injured.  Good thing I will at least be in a new AG compared to last year.

I signed up for a new HM race, in six weeks, in Goat Boy's (Door #15) small rural town.  Is it too obvious I am looking for an excuse to see him again in person?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

an amazing likeness

I met Milk Truck (he found me) just before the start of today's Big Lake Half Marathon in Alton, NH. It was his first time on this course, so I hope he posts how he did. It was very cloudy and in the upper 40s/low 50s at the start. A light rain started when I got to about mile 2, and kept up for another 30-40 minutes or so. The rain felt good, and kept me cool. The clouds were so low that you couldn't see the tops of some of the trees. It warmed up a little after the rain stopped, but didn't get too warm. This is a relatively hilly course, with miles 2-6 being mostly uphill. After that, it was rolling hills, with one steep downhill somewhere around mile 7. My focus for today was on turnover rate: I took advantage of the uphills by maintaining my cadence better than most of the runners around me. And I tried to take advantage of the downhills by opening up my stride while increasing my cadence. From mile 8 on, I started to push a little harder, and reeled in some runners who had passed me in the first few miles of the race. When I racewalked this race in '06, I finished in 2:30:36. Today I finished in 2:24:10 (net time), which is my fastest half as a racewalker by about 10 seconds (I've been racewalking since '03).  Without a walking div., I was 5/9 in my age group, and 671/809 overall. Maybe I would have done a little better on a flatter course, but I have no regrets about today's race.

Jay

Thanks for letting me interrupt your pre-race, Jay -- I was pretty last minute getting out of the porta-potty lines and to the start, so was a bit rushed. Great job on your racewalking PR on a tough race course.

I posted a 1:41:21 on this sloppy, foggy,. rainy day. John Deere'd up the hills from 2 to 6.5 (chug, chug, chug), then tried to run even effort in all the up/down through 11 (the hill at 9.5 was evil). Stumbled a few times on the rough road from 8 - 10 and a shooting, knife plunge pain in upper hamstring/glute started at 10.5, so trudged in from there. Finished 4AG, so no maple syrup for me.  I'd rate this as a pretty hard course because of our how it takes away any chance of rhythm in the section from 7 - 11.

Andy

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice runnin' as usual tom.

My brain must not want to be as old as me as the rest of me though as,

even though 9:30m/m is impossibly fast for me anymore, somehow still 30:17 sounds so slow.

I guess I"ll be happy with all those 30's of recent years, after all.

Wow!  It was hardly runnable at all, because it was so steep and rocky, and there were lots of downed trees, and some snow remaining.

Somehow that seems like Neil Armstrong being impressed because something's a long ways away.

The White River 50 you might get to run someday outhere is like that,

making you wonder how in the world anyone hiking up either or both of Corral Pass

and Suntop Mountain would think that combining them would make a good 50 mile run.

You're accumulating some impressing running perch.

Do streakers keep track of miles as well as consecutive days running?

Are there daily 5K streakers, 10-milers, etc.

Have you done a 12x12 too?

Is 14x14 next?

good luck.

nice henry

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Today I finished in 2:24:10 (net time), which is my fastest half as a racewalker by about 10 seconds (I've been racewalking since '03). 

Well done, and on a tough course!

Perch and Milktruck - nice racing!

Carolyn - heck-of-a-run, so it does not count as bailing at all....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."