Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 11.29.23 (Read 38 times)

Regarding the "age" comment, I once had a job interview for a relatively entry-level job when I was about 50. A woman in her twenties, who was working in the same job title, and who was interviewing me, asked "how would you handle working with people much younger than you?". I was stunned. I said something like "that wouldn't be a problem".

I was so ticked off.

I didn't get the job (luckily), and was thinking about reporting this woman's question to me to their HR department. But then I thought they might think I was just mad I didn't get the job.

I really wish I had said something, so that young woman could get some training on ageism.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Man, this getting old stuff is not for sissies, that's for sure!  Sorry to hear about everyone's aches and pains and upcoming surgeries.  Sending hugs all around.

I was grateful for a relatively pain-free, if slow, run on the trails this afternoon.  7 miles at Centennial Cone park, in 50 degree temps!  I wore tights and long sleeves, since it was cloudy and breezy, and dressed about right.  My knee seems pretty okay.  I've always wondered why I'm one of the few, or only, women in my AG at races.  I think people's joints give out, maybe?

<nerd alert>  I planned out how to finish November on a prime, but then was curious if it's at all possible to run a prime number of miles for both December and 2023.   If every month is a prime, it's not possible for the year to be a prime, since 12 odd numbers will equal an even number, which can't be prime.  BUTT - rounding is allowed.  Let's say I ran an extra 0.1 miles each month, but rounded to a prime number - that would add up to another mile for the year, so I could still end on a prime.  So if I add a few tenths tomorrow, and a few tenths in December, I think I can do it!   <end nerd alert>

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Jay - Hopefully you kick the crutches to the curb soon.

Tetsuijin209 - You have a delightful way with words.  Anyone here could have told you that your heart is OK.

Leslie - Karen kicks butt!

Dnaff - I really hope you turn the corner soon.

KSA - That's a lot of miles.

RCG - That pain is quite concerning.  I can usually find relief sleeping in a recliner.

Wildchild is wild about being prime!

I got two gentle miles on the mill and the hip wasn't wonky.  I had my first meeting with a vendor rep where the bulk of his product line is being discontinued at our place.  I had gone through the goods marked for return and was impressed by the quality, but his line is not our niche.  What disappointed me was, our boss got ahold of this guy's supervisor and not the rep himself.  He was blindsided and took it on the nose from his super.  It was hard for him to work through that and be cordial.  I get it.

The guy who replaced me in receiving was getting hammered and I tackled a cabinet delivery.  It was a fella I had not seen in a few years and the unload was delightful.  Another truck pulled up and the driver was another familiar face.  I told him where the reindeer food was and invited him to help himself for his kids and the children of another driver for the same company.  The dude started unlading cabinets with me.  Bless him.

The hip started to bark so I took a work-related walking break after the paperwork on the two trucks.

I had a phone interview with our retirement dude.  He said DW and I did better than OK in 2023.  I got out of work in time to help put Thanksgiving decorations away and get some Christmas ones out.  Then I filled 60 more vials of reindeer food.

SteveP