Masters Running

Monday, May 4th (Read 37 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So why isn't it on June 16th?

The official name is "Liliac Bloomsday 12K" and there are liliacs all over the place but then it should be the Liliac 12K.

I know someone who knows him so I'll find out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

The closest we have to Bloomsday on the east coast is the James Joyce Ramble - a 10K two weeks after Boston.  People dress up in costume and read from various Joyce works.

Kayaking was awesome.  Jay, today we put in on the Charles opposite Sears in Dedham, if you know the road.  We saw red tailed hawks, yellow warblers, vulture, 2 blue herons and miscellaneous other more common birds.  Going into the wind at one point was quite nasty, but coming back was awesome.  I used lots of sunscreen from Robin's partay!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So why isn't it on June 16th?

aim me  / marj / took at --

Even though Kardong  knew that Bloomsday was on June 16, he knew too that the date would change each year. Plus, June could be hot. So they agreed on the first Sunday in May and acceded to the Olympian’s suggestion that the event be given a name that works on a number of different levels. 

note: Kardong was an English major and  teacher

I wonder if he ever ran in Diublin

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/lilac-bloomsday-run?page=single

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

This is going to be pretty short.  I managed to get out for 8 miles at the end of the day.  Today was the last day of classes!!!!  I have a final to give out on Friday, then hand out grades and I am DONE for the semester!!  People think that means I am on vacation.  Actually, it means I can concentrate on what they really pay me to do; write research papers.  Good or bad, research universities pay people to do research.  Teaching is a bit of a sideline.  It is just the way it is.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

There sure are a lot of smart people in this group...I am definitely not one of them.  But I appreciate that nobody in here makes me feel stupid.  I'm not even sure why I said that...except, that I am always so impressed with how smart so many of you are...seriously.

Okay...my run...I wanted to do some mile repeats and I didn't want to guess on them on the road so I ran 3 miles to the middle school track in 23:48.  Then I did 1600 in 6:24--800 in 3:56--1600 in 6:14--800 in 3:51--and 1600 in 6:02.  Then I ran the 3 miles back home in 24:57.  Total was 10 miles in 1:15:11.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

Another late posting for my wings, but it seems like it is going to be the way it is as I transition from one job into another one. Training day number one at new job happened today. Not scared away  yet, but ohhh boy...HUD housing rules are monsters...enough said.

The weekend was so much fun. We met up with this handsome fellow at the starting line and met up again at the finish line. So much fun! The Easy Pacer crushed the course. He ran the race 20 minutes faster than two years ago...he is so proud of his stats and so am I. It was fun running the race with son Daniel until the Nash boys left me to dust.  No running today. I hope to get out on Wednesday since tomorrow is taken.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard