Masters Running

Happy FRIDAY 3/27 Runs and Rests (Read 427 times)

dg.

Thanks for saying that Mariposai. To me, with my worldly selfishness and hugh ego, every post from Steve makes my day. When he is here, he reminds us all what heart and kindness and balance in life really means. Spareribs
    I agree. Well said. Stevep, what a great picture. Holly, thanks. Surges, that was it. 4 successful pickups at the gym isn't quite what I was trying to say. Or do. eek. Karin, that's awful! How did you pull off finishing your presentation?
      Mary: I find that sometimes a slight soreness in my knees means it's time for new shoes. Bill: I hope it was a mild case of road rash -- it can be quite painful to lose a lot of skin off your knees and/or hands! CNY: I just discovered that I have a tooth that's suffering from "root resorption", which is difficult to fix. So I might have to have an implant. Hope your solution is easier (and less expensive). Ran 8 miles today for my first run of the year eastbound on the Clinton River Trail. The footing was a bit tricky due to ruts from bikes that had frozen into the mud, but I managed a 9:44 average to finish off a 20-mile week. I'm taking the plunge to enter the Dexter-Ann Arbor HM on May 31st, hoping to see the AA gang while I'm down there. Good luck to the weekend racers, whoever you are!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Steve, we have a 4 mile race here SUnday, too. Odd, not a typical length, is it? CNY, very cool save--I prolly would have swallowed the whole mess if I'd tried to do what you did Blush. Pshew--sounds as if it was good I ran the OD last year, even with the wind and all! That's a shame, nono, that the RD has so much on his plate. Byll, I ran with a guy in Utah at a marathon who introduced to a local area runner who did just what 2Cat suggested--he ran the entire Wasatch Relay by himself as a one-person relay team. sounds like fun in Boston this weekend! glad your foot healed up, H. must run, Amy
        Masters 2000 miles
        Slo

Steve, we have a 4 mile race here SUnday, too. Odd, not a typical length, is it?
          Around here a 4 mile race is very popular. Finding a 10k is nearly impossible. I just checked my clubs race calendar......Since Feb 7th there has been Four 4 mile races. There are only Two 10k's for the entire year.

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't think I've ever seen a 4-mile race around here, although there are tons of 5Ks and an occasion 8K or 10K. There are even a couple of 50k trail races in the area that I may be brave enough to try sometime. SteveP - I meant to comment also on what a great picture on yesterday's daily. That grandbaby is sure growing fast!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Ladies and Gentleman....please meet my new idol...............The woods lady aka MaEcono I met maEcono in Florence, OR last November where we both participated in a small local race. MaEcono is an inspiration to me. Her vibrant and joyful spirit and her eagerness to improve her race times makes her my new idol and I am just so happy she decided to keep us company around here. She is new at posting, but slowly we will bring her here. You all will love her, I just know it. She posted the following in my "Florence, OR turkey trot and econo hugs"thread. "Thank you all for the welcomes. I am honored! Tammyin, I really enjoyed meeting you and your nice family. Hope to see you in Eugene one of these times. Hey. I read that you liked the gum droppy things - so did I, and will keep my eye open for them. What are they called? Also, I am in your photo of GP at the finish line - in the far background in a blue jacket. Tetsujin209 Yep - those head high ferns grow in an area of my woods pretty close to our house, and the trees and underbrush are getting closer to the house every day. I am very lucky, I do almost of my walking/running in the woods, and see that several times a week. Today I found a 5 point elks rack on my Forest Service road, and lugged it home! We know a man who makes pens out of that , and will give it to him. Ileneforward, thank you. I am not yet sure how to post things, other than to answer like this, or on my log, which is all messed up, but plan to keep poking around until I get it right. Mariposai - Yes, I'd love to do the beach run, and also to show you my trail and Forest Service Road place. Any of you runners would love it, and I can show you a coupple of ways to get there - easy. Stumpy77 - so you also run to keep up with your daughter! And I love your saying that running is a new way to identify yourself. That is just the way I feel. That and freedom! I have read "Ribs" and also admire him. Econo - run like heck - remember your committee. My committee now has specialty sub committees, as suggested by Gavin. I did better today, and for the first time, went up the trail for about 3 miles, and had a great time. MaEcono" Seeeeeee, I told she is fun. For me today, nada...opted for beauty rest instead of a predawn run...will run later as body dictates.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

CNY, very cool save--I prolly would have swallowed the whole mess if I'd tried to do what you did Blush.
                Hi Amy! Actually, that's what I did....I could feel the dang thing in my mouth and I was close to a pause point in my session. I asked for questions: (allows me to take a sip of water and gather thoughts---all about pacing you know!---when I took my sip of water, there went the tooth particle and a 25 year-old filling. Tight lipped Sorry about the implant news Roch....Mr. CNyrunner had one last year, tooth implant or paint the house? He has a $4,000 implant and we have a peeling house. It all works out somehow. What I really came back in to say is WELCOME to Econo's Mother! How wonderful! Thanks Maraposai and I hope MaEcono posts lots.
                xor

Wait. Wait. "Woods Lady" is Econo's mother? No foolin. I better cut back on the colorful language and metaphors then. I'm supposed to run 9 miles this morning (8x1000 I pace in the middle, but I'll probably treat that as 8x4-minutes 'cause I won't be running a measured thingy) and 4-5 this afternoon. We'll see. I'm more likely to do this afternoon run than usual because it is to the post office and back. And I need to go to the post office! Tomorrow is a 50k held on a 3.2 mile loop. Actually, it's the same loop on which I'm about to run my 9 miles. Anyway, it is accurately called "Dizzy Daze". And of course, the weather has been wonderful for a couple days but will be pacific northwest March terrible tomorrow.

Slo

Phone Phun With Timbo K Tim, I got my phone prank in for today. We have a Plant Wide Pager System.....From the plant floor next to an operator I dialed the first two numbers and pretended to have a conversation.....I turned to the operator and handed him the phone telling him his team leader wanted to talk to him. As I handed him the phone I dialed the last number of the page system. He took the phone and said......"This is Mike"........pause......."Hello......Hello......John?.....Hello" With the page still active he said...."Are you sure he wanted to talk to me?"........I reached out and slap'd the hang-up down laughing my @$$ off. After the 4 secound delay Mike realized what I was laughing at ! Now some food for thought........Do you think we will ever get away from "dialing" a phone? Of course to us Masters here, we know why it's called dialing but I have three kids who never actually "dialed" a phone.......I'll have to pose a qx to them tonight to see what they call it. My wife and I still "turn" the channel but the kids "change" the channel.

I Can Go The Distance

Tim-Did you hear what happened?....He's here everyday folks, have the veal!!!! Big grin Welcome to MaEcono, post often we are a very friendly group of people. I had a great run today in IRC. No running rash, no teeth problems. I did 8 miles in 1:17:48-9:43/mi. Have a great day everyone, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

TammyinGP

rest day for me. Massage in a few hrs, maybe a short walk this evening. DS is having a buddy spend the night and we are going hiking tomorrow afternoon. Supposed to be a beautiful day here in So. Oregon so will hopefully get some spectacular pics and see a variety of wildflowers in bloom. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

Somehow I feel better about myself today. Big grin
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

Phone Phun With Timbo K Tim, I got my phone prank in for today. We have a Plant Wide Pager System.....From the plant floor next to an operator I dialed the first two numbers and pretended to have a conversation.....I turned to the operator and handed him the phone telling him his team leader wanted to talk to him. As I handed him the phone I dialed the last number of the page system. He took the phone and said......"This is Mike"........pause......."Hello......Hello......John?.....Hello" With the page still active he said...."Are you sure he wanted to talk to me?"........I reached out and slap'd the hang-up down laughing my @$$ off. After the 4 secound delay Mike realized what I was laughing at !
                            Slo.... Big grin, as I totally get that and is hilarious. Ya know, I work VERY hard and I try and stay on top of things...sorta hard handling the shop by myself. But everyone I am associated with loves my sense of humor, and loves to be around me....to see what happens next. And my techs all tell me, they look forward coming to work each day instead of dreading it...like some people do. Plus in a comfortable work atmosphere, I get more productivity out of my guys. Hey Karin, on April Fools Day guess what....no pranks or shenanigans what so ever...now that drives everyone nuts because they are expecting it more on that day....keeps um guessing Smile That's funny Bruce, and like I said before...so happy your back here posting your runs and such! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Karin - (((((((tooth))))))) - congrats on the weekly mileage - it's so good to see you running again! Nono and henrun - congrats on your miraculous healing and subsequent good runs! dg - your running rehabilitation is going so well - your speed is definitely picking up. Mine has deserted me for the time being, and I'm not going to push it before Boston. After Boston I'll get serious about training for a fall marathon. I need to start carrying a camera on my runs. There were some interesting ice formations on the cliffs along the trail last weekend - big enough to kill me if they decided to fall down. I would love to have had some photos of those. We have a local 3.45 mile road race here in May. It's billed as a 5K+ race. I thought that was a little strange. I managed an hour of core and upper body weights over my lunch hour. I'm ready for pizza..............

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Nice long run, enke.
                                Tom, You totally made my day!! Big grin That 10 mile run I did yesterday left me in such a mellow great mood for hours after. First time I felt good after a run in two weeks! I was so happy that I wore my running skirt today and did 5 miles instead of 4 and did them a bit faster than I should have, only 10:33 pace but it was hilly. I feel back to normal again after that flu carp and let me tell you, it feels like heaven. CNYrunner, so I gather, you swallowed it?? Nice going! You guys with your phone pranks...... Roll eyes henrun, it sounds so cool to be in the thick of the Boston excitement!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."