Masters Running

Marathon Monday, April 21 (Read 821 times)

King of PhotoShop

Glad to hear from CNY so early, and yes you deserve a relaxing evening. What a feat! Thanks Eliz. Joey, again thanks for that last recap of those who beat their times. Interesting post. Tammy, you weren't far off. There have been corrals in the Boston Marathon for quite some time. In the 70's they did it with ropes and at the gun they dropped the rope and you simply began running. The wave start however, is very much newer, akin to many triathlons, and a good idea I think. Yes Mary, isn't the weather in Michigan today beautiful? Spareribs
    evanflein

Congratulations to each one but special note to Erika. Were you sandbagging?.....or did you simply finally thaw out? In any case, that is an incredible time.
      Thanks, Joey. No, I wasn't sandbagging... but I should've updated my time. My PR was Seattle in November at 3:49: something, but I didn't do it for whatever reason (I'm claiming basic laziness). But it was a 11 minute PR for me... what can I say... everything clicked today. I felt awesome. I have no chafing (chronic problem for me), no injuries, just a reallly pretty blister on my left pinky toe. I'll deal with it. I had a published goal of 3:45, a sekrit goal of 3:40, and never thought I'd see under 3:49... but I'll take it! This has been so fun to read thru this post. You guys are amazing. And I've had a blast here... met so many of my boomer/master friends it's just been great. Already planning to try to see Lou and Harriet in September... Now need to debate whether to go to the post-race party with the gang or go to bed... 12 minute ice bath and a shower done, not sure from here. Oh... one injury I wasn't counting on... I have a terrific sunburn on my shoulders/arms!!! I had SPF 40 on my face and chest, but not my shoulders! I thought I'd be running into the sun the whole way, and was expecting clouds... oh well. ETZ: SR, I didn't run with Lou as he was in a much earlier corral than I, but I did meet up with Steve (Perchcreek) at mile 4.5 and ran with him for about 10 miles before losing him. I thought he'd gone on ahead at a water stop (we did that, then would catch up to each other), so I tried to catch up to him for awhile, then realized he must be behind me a ways. Oh... and he's taking credit for my PR because of this. Gotta love the guy. Big grin
        ERIKA - YOU ARE AWESOME!! (I had secretly predicted a big PR for you, after being stunned by your training paces) Now go party girl!! Everyone else: you are all awesome runners and my inspriation! You all made my day. Big grin Big grin Big grin

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

To quote from my "running 1,000 miles in a year" blog: "Assuming all 25,000 runners ran the full 26.2 miles, this is equal to 655,000 miles. If this was done in individual cars averaging 20 miles per gallon at today's average gas price of $3.51 per gallon.......it would have cost $114,952.50 in gas costs for this group to have made this trip. At the time when I was a kid starting to drive, this same amount of people could have driven there for $9,792.25 (.299 cents per gallon)."
          Vista
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

CONGRATULATIONS, ERIKA! You are my role model, girl! I was so thrilled to follow your progress today. I had the tracking window open on one monitor while I supposedly worked on AutoCAD drawings on the other screen! I was following CNY and btb, also. You guys rock!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Congrats to all racers at Boston....you all rock!!!...hope Bob is OK...God bless you! I almost feel silly posting my run tonight, but all of you racers were on my mind tonight. 10 mile tempo run in 1:17:35 about 7:45 pace and felt great. Temps were 70 degrees and no wind which made for a great run. I am truly amazed and insprired today!!! Gotta get up early in the morning to make up for lost work today tracking ALL of "our" runners. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Congrats again to everyone in Boston! Today was a rest day, but you all got me so excited I just went out with the babysitter and dog (Renee) and ran 4.25 mi. We were dead-dog slow, but we did it! Thanks for the inspiration. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

awesome day in Boston everyone!! nice job!! i saw Bob and Harriet after they finished and came thru the chute - they looked amazing!! unfortunately didn't see any of our other RA Boomers ---- so many people coming thru at the same time and i'm trying to eyeball and triage them as i was handing them a banana, walking backwards and getting runners to make eye contact so i could see if they were doing ok - it was an incredible day!!

denise

GreenMan

Wow, Great running Boston Boomers. Joey, thanks for posting all the times. I had to work and basically missed the whole event. Cry Rest day. You can You can touch the sky. It’s not hard. Stand up, Stand up and try. Stand on your toes, Raise you arms, Stretch your fingers high. Go ahead, go ahead. You can touch the sky. jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                      Thanks Vista for making this easier to catch up. What a fantastic day for everyone!!!

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down