Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 7/27/2008 (Read 480 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's the tally up from last week. Let me know if I made any errors.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    CNYrunner76.1 Excellent running, along with biking, hiking, canoeing – heck of a week, my fren...
    Hermosaboy72.5 Stung by bees/hornets/wasps – ouch!
    TomD67.518-miler and 22-miler, 2 days apart – wow!
    Jim2431560 Solid running, including a 16-miler and 17-miler
    Perch5814 miles over the plan and still feeling great!
    Slojim57.5 Very nice mileage, and with 2 rest days
    Ultrachick55 Going a little easy on the hammie
    DfromBG54.7 Solid running, and a 5K race
    Evenflein52.1 Gold Discovery Run – almost froze! I gotta go read that RR...
    Slowgino50.5 Lot of deer – you know, I saw 2 yesterday morning, more unusual where I run, though
    Biketm48.3 Even with a tender kankle..
    BCMorant46.3 Gradually increasing the mileage
    Mainerunnah43.4 Battling brutal H&H
    PeterNC36.4 Pretty darn close, on only 3 running days
    Breger135.2 Hey, that’s pretty close
    Twocat Free Pass Marathon recovery time
    WaltRB Free Pass Putting in some race-volunteering and quality time with the girls – well spent indeed...
    I won't even attempt a schedule for myself this week. (sigh) This Friday it will be 1 month since I did this, and I can barely run a mile right now. (Oh I probably could if I took enough ibu, but that's defeating the purpose.) So many times I have had sore muscles and still been able to run through it, so I just didn't want to believe that I couldn't do that this time, too. This being my first real running injury, I didn't really know the difference, and so kept trying to run. Ah well, live and learn. This too will pass... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Hang in there Holly. But thanks for keeping this going for the rest of us. Still trying the recovery run vs. rest day... we'll see how it goes this week. Not sure if I'll keep it up all thru August....
      Day Plan Actual Comments
      Monday3-4 miles4.5 MilesEZ pace but too many hills...
      Tuesday5 miles6 milesEasy effort, 8:33 avg pace
      Wednesday9 miles9.5 MilesWork to home run again, 8:20 avg pace, felt greta
      Thursday5 miles6 milesTurned into a tempo run, 8:01 avg pace (7:18 for mile 5)
      Friday4 miles4.1 milesSorta EZ pace at 8:31, foot sore today Angry
      Saturday9 miles10 miles8:15 avg pace on rolling hills
      Sunday19 miles17 miles8:34 avg pace, and 17 miles was plenty.
      Totals:54 Miles57.1 milesLongest week ever!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. six weeks is the typical time to heal most injuries so you should be seeing progress soon. Bit of a stepback week and it comes at a time with some travel that works just fine. Mon - 4 recovery (ran 4 mi slooow - feel refreshed) Tues - 9.2 mi incl 4 x 1 mi@7:15ish w/ 90s jog (9. 3 mi with 4 x 1 mile repeats avg 7:25) Wed - ? maybe nuthin (yup.. nuthin!) Thu - ? maybe nuthin (4.2 mi GA up and down hills avg 8:03 pace) Fri - 11 mi m-LR (10.7 mi progression run.. with 5 miles in the 7's) Sat - 4 mi recovery (4 mi at 9:28 pace) Sun - 17.2 mi LR (16.1 mi including 8 mi near MP on the Raleigh Marathon route.. VERY hilly.. bonked last 3) Total: 45 ish Actual: 48.4 miles Good week with some strong runs.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I Can Go The Distance

Holly, I know how hard it is to be patient when you can't run, but you need this time away from running to heal properly. Thanks for continuing to do this thread even when you can't run yourself. My plan is for 46.3 again this week: Mon 4 mile recovery run Done Tues 6 miles easy w/8x100m strides over last mile Done Wed 4 mile recovery run Done Thursday 8.15 miles easy Done Friday 8.15 miles easy Done Sat 12 mile LR Done Sun 4 mile recovery run Done Total 46.3

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

((((((Holly))))))) Take the time you need. And thanks for keeping the thread going. I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but here in the NE it's been pretty steamy- a good time to miss. M--8.5, 1:17.14 in the HHH, 9:05 m/m, 137/167 T-- W--rained out midweek run Th- F-- S--8.2 trail miles, 1:17, 9:24, 144/176 S--9.87, 1:30:13, new route, hillier than I thought so I cut short my long run, 151/185 26.5--I'm feelin' the summertime lull....more next week, promise....
              Heading into August and trying to hold it together as the training schedule gets more intense. This week is a step back week and then we go back up into 70s and hit 80 soon. Thanks again Holly…this helps keep me on track. Now for you my dear friend...I am sending you strength and hugs.....I have had my share of injuries even to the point of my college coach putting my foot in a cast so I wouldn't come back too quickly. It stinks, it sucks, but rest is really best. You are one of the toughest women I know----this requires that toughness. 7/21----Off---travel to NJ/Philly 7/22----9-10 miles with embedded 5k/weekly prediction race (7:20 pace)5 mile dyno/fartlek outrunning the t-storms/bagged the prediction race/workout 7/23----10-12 miles easy and then travel to NC--15 miles at 8:21 pace 7/24----8 miles in Boone, NC----8 miles 9:07 pace 7/25----Off/travel home and then to a wedding on the Cape---5.2 to conquer Bodenheimer Hill 7/26----10 with 4 at MP----6 with 5 at 7:30 pace 7/27----20---9:00 pace for 10 and then 8:20-8:30 for 2nd half---19.5 at 8:41 pace Total---58-60--58.7 Core, abs, stability and strength drills 3xweek Good week although I thought I would feel fresher after a step back week and I feel worse (not awful really but not rested) than the 76 mile week. It's a true sign of being right in the midst of the marathon cycle. August and early September provide the real test. MONSTER MILES here I come!
                Thanks Holly Smile Don't try to come back too quick.... I've had lots of experience with injuries the last 5 or 6 years and have finally learned to take my time recouping. 2 more weeks of base building and then I'll try to get serious about some consistent speed work for Pasadena... Sun. 20 long 21.5 long Mon. rest Tues 10 easy 10.25 easy Wed. 10 easy 10.25 easy Thur. rest 13.5 med long Fri. 10 easy 6.5 easy Sat. 10K with long warm up and cool down 10K / 3.5 warm up/cool down Total 60 +/- 71.7 actual Another PR mileage week Smile..... this was the first week this year with only one rest day ... I will probably drop my mileage back to mid 50's with 2 rest days for the start of marathon training.
                  I'm with everyone else Holly - take it slow and easy and take that Gym pass an use it for the 30 days with NO commitment! Undecided My plan for this week: Monday - 5 miles - 5.02 Tuesday - Speed work 8 miles (+/-) - 2.51 warm up miles 21:55 (8:43) - 6 x 1/2 mile repeats finishing with a 1 mile time trial - all w/1 minute recovery - 2:59 - 2:56 - 2:55 - 2:54 - 2:52 - 2:51 - 5:55 - .69 Mile cool down -6:25 (9:18) 7.8 miles total Wednesday - 5 miles - 5 miles progressive - easy start - 8:35 - 8:13 - 8:00 - 7:47 - 7:14 - 39:49 (7:58) Thursday - 10 miles - Had to Bag- this one - work & weather Friday - 7 miles - 10.1 Miles Progressive - 1:23:21 (8:16) - 9:00 - 8:46 - 8:23 - 8:17 - 8:05 - 7:32 - 7:47 - 7:53 - 8:15 - 8:40 - :39 Saturday - 8 miles (+/-) - 86 degrees and low humidity Saturday - 14 - 16 miles - 14.62 Miles 2:00:14 (8:14) 76 degrees & a little more humid Sunday - 8.5 Miles easy - 1:10:43 (8:20) - 72 degrees and humid Total planned - 55 - 60 miles - 51.04 miles
                    Holly I keep hoping you will come in with a report that all is well. Good luck and get better fast and then get fast fast! Look at CNYrunner's plan! Makes me feel like a couch potato! Shocked
                    DayPlanActualForecastReality
                    Monday00
                    Tuesday66.39 Run with friends.
                    Wednesday88.64 Felt good. Ended up doing my hillier version of this route.
                    Thursday66.108:07 pace. Not the easy run I had planned! Felt good though.
                    Friday00
                    Saturday4.683 4.683 Race. Again I do not lay out these courses! I just run them. Two seconds faster than last year on this course! Big grin
                    Sunday7 7.26 Run with DW Ran with DW.
                    Total31.683 33.073 Reverse taper week 2.
                    Next week I should regain my full fledged membership to this thread! Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for keeping this going, Holly. I feel your pain on that hamstring/etc. It took me 2 months of only walking (2-3 hrs/day) for the pain to completely disappear... and another month of adding more and more easy jogging before I could run easy to medium w/o any vestige of pain. Take it easy, and don't rush it (very hard for a runner to do!) Plan for this week - just get in some running miles after missing the 1st 2 days due to babysitting chores, etc, related to the birth of a new grandson (he sure is a cute little guy.) Mon - off Tue - off Wed - 20 miles easy, nature park trails Thur - 2 miles easier, 6 miles easy, nature park trails Fri --- off (...rest tender ankle tendon) Sat -- 15 miles easy, old forest rock road Sun -- off Total -- 43 miles
                      TomD

Hope you are back to running soon, Holly. Monday - 5.75 Tuesday - 17.45 Wednesday - 7.30 Thursday - 21.00 Friday - 6.20 Saturday - 4.50 Sunday - 9.15 Total Miles - 71.35 TomD
                          I'm pretty sure I'll make 40 miles this week, so here's the plan:
                          DayPlanActualComments
                          Monday6 miles easy6.0 milesEasy 9:13 m/m pace
                          Tuesday9 miles with Intervals9.0 mileswith 7x1/2 mile Intervals with 3 mins. jog between. Repeats averaged 3:45 per
                          Wednesday6 miles recovery6.1 miles9:56 min/mile pace. Avg HR only 124!!!
                          ThursdayPlanned Rest Day0 miles
                          Friday8 miles GA8.0 milesWith 4 at Tempo. 8:17, 8:14, 8:03, and 7:44
                          Saturday6 miles easy0.0 milesDecided to rest instead
                          Sunday2 Hours easy12.0Easy 9:19 pace. Avg HR 140.
                          Totals:45ish miles41.1Good week.
                          Kinda strange ... last week had 35 miles running 7 days a week. This week I get 41 running only 5. Go figure ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Holly....sounds like you are getting closer....we all hope Smile Mon - 8 easy miles - 8:30 pace Tues - 6.6 easy / recovery miles Weds - 12.5 miles with 6 - 1000 meter repeats - 1:39:35 7:58 ave pace Thurs - 4 mile easy recovery run...on tired legs Fri - Well needed rest day Sat - 15 mile wave run with 3 miles at 8:00 pace and 2 miles at 7:30 pace Sun - 7 easy miles - 8:58 ave pace Total - 53.1 - Good solid week with H&H conditions

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Ultrachick

Thanks again Holly and hope you get better soon! Here's my schedule:
                              DayPlanActualCommentary
                              Monday44 Easy day
                              Tuesday665K trail race
                              Wednesday1010Rec path and trails
                              Thursday63Trail run, resting up for Jay
                              Friday40Ran out of time
                              Saturday3333 Jay XC Challenge
                              Sunday203 hrs of mtn biking instead
                              Total6559
                              The Jay race on Saturday includes 3-4 miles of running in a river-we got 2 inches of rain here in the Burlington area yesterday and another 2-4 inches is predicted for today with flood watches in effect until Friday morning-who knows what will happen..... Kelly Had a great race-finish time of 7:16:43-only 6 min slower than last year but the mud and the water was about 6 inches deeper. Placed 2nd Female Master!
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                              busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks Holly! Running injuries are quite a drag....six months from now you'll be glad you didn't push the recovery too fast. I've been over 40, for a number of weeks now, but this past weekend I realized how little ramp up time is left before Hartford! Grrr. So I've put a loose schedule together, but as I'm looking to sub-3 I need to ramp up (safely). I've been partial to Hal Higdon's plans, but I'm open to other suggestions! M - rest T - intervals schedule induced rest W - 5mi ez - 9 Hills at a hard pace T - 8mi Hills done, +2 points for load of rain-soaked clothes F - 4mi ez done S - 8mi at pace 7 hilly at pace S - 17mi long run 15.5 miles @ just over 8min pace Total 43.5 miles. I feel strong, prepping for a long and tougher week over 50 miles. Craig
                                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                                also on Twitter