Masters Running

Tuesday, 9.16.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Good article yesterday, Ribs. Even though cops sometimes annoy us at races, we have to remember that safety is their primary focus, and how can one fault that? (However, there was one cop on the RTB route who intentionally slowed all of the race vans just out of spite. It probably took us 30 minutes to get through the intersection where he was directing traffic - traffic from all other directions flowed through that intersection smoothly. Mariposai had to jump out of our van and run an extra mile to get to the next transfer point - otherwise Twocat would have been waiting and waiting and waiting to hand her the baton.)

Thanks for the summary and photos, Twocat. Photos always add a lot to the story.

Take care of, and good luck with that hip, PBJ. Clearly there is something going on...

I'm glad Mike's dad is feeling better, and that Enke is having a good time with Mr. C, and that Tet did the research to find out that my new shoes are for human gods (but I'm going to wear them anyway...), that Mariposai got home safely, and that Steve and his non-pet dog and Noah made it to the local paper.

I realized yesterday that I had still not yet caught up on the sleep I missed during the relay. So I slept in this morning. Today is our 36th wedding anniversary, and we are taking the rest of the week off. We're heading northwest to Woodstock, VT today for a few days of much-needed down time. Then we'll go south to Woodstock, NY where one of DW's nephews is getting married on Saturday.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy anniversary, Jay!
      wildchild

Carolyn

Happy anniversary, Jay and Mrs. Jay!  Have a good trip to the two Woodstocks!

Mike and Holly - re: hydration vests vs. hand-helds for Vermont - the longest distance between aid stations is 7 miles for the 50 mile and 6.1 miles for the 50k. The 7 mile stretch is all uphill to the high point on the course, Garvin Hill.  (Nice that it's not a mountain, just a hill!)   So plan to carry as much water and food as you need for that distance.   Personally, I'm using my Nathan hydration vest - because I always wear it and I'm used to it.  And I don't like things in my hands.  The vest has pockets so I can keep food and gloves and a camera handy.   How do you guys do long training runs with just hand-helds?  Is there water available everywhere you run? How do you carry enough food?

Speaking of the VT50 (can you tell I'm excited about it???)  I was wondering when CNYrunner and Lamerunner are coming up?  Are you guys just coming the day of the race, or the day before?  Where/when is Karin's 50th birthday party?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Hope you have a great anniversary celebration tonight Jay.

Cool 76 degrees here today but wicked humid!  The Saint and I did 5.5 and I introduced her to interval workouts, just getting her toe in the water so to speak so that she will look forward to doing these weekly.  We did 2 x 1/2 mile at 9 minute pace, with a half mile recovery.  I'm going to build this up one half mile at a time until she is doing 4 of them, then reduce the interval to just a quarter mile of rest. By the end of the year I'm hoping she can get up to 6 x 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile interval jog rest.  She was pretty excited about this today.  Spareribs

Dave59

Happy anniversary Jay.

I did my Tuesday hill workout with the usual group.  8 of us this week.  I tacked on an extra 3 miles at the end so I could get up to 10 for the day.  It was so foggy that it was hard at times to see the ground even with a headlamp.  Luckily I didn't fall.

If you can think of a way to transfer brain cells, could each of you send me a few.  Thanks.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning still!

Happy Anniversary Jay.  I saw that same half moon Monday morning in DC.  It's interesting going out to run at your usual time but in another place.  Makes you realize how dark it is before dawn, as the terrain and landscape is eerily different.

Yeah, Tag, PET DOG, who is that?  Glad to know you got into the spirit of the color run.  Sorry that your humans felt they had to wash it off.  Did you tell them you could have just rolled around in some dirt and sort of sanded it off?

PBJ, I agree with Holly and hope you get that hip checked out, really sorry to hear that you are ailing.

So envious of you in the RTB crews!  Perfect team names, and you tell that y'all had a blast.  And now the Vermont crew is going to live it up (o, but that wuss wild might be a wet blanket....agree that calling yourself a "wuss" is about one of the funniest things I've read, Carolyn!)

Erika, I read that about your temps.  Good luck this weekend if I forget to say that later.

C-R, ok!  See you in about 7 months.  From behind, but maybe before, at a meet-up in Boston.

My condolences to your son, Mike.  My second greyhound, Frank, had bone cancer and it spread so very fast.  I am sorry.

That's a lot of time with Mr. C, enke....looking good, hope things keep on keepin' on!

Well, I'd forgotten how tough is teaching!  I had a blast with my former roomie yesterday being her TA for 8th grade science (and I learned a lot about science, where Newtons are a form of measuring the pull of gravity and not a pair of shoes, meniscus refers to a graduated cylinder and not something you can tear in your knee).   Got in early this am, so no run yet, maybe after work with Speedsters.

tet--Best post race food at the Abebe Bikila.  Ethiopian food of course!  We went out for a whole meal of it Saturday night, yum!   Really unique race, lots of heart-felt effort in it from the RD and volunteers.  One of Abebe's Olympic teammates (a boxer) was there with his daughter.  He is in his 60s now and needs a kidney transplant, but got up and spoke to us before the start.  They also rang little bells 184 times, for the victims of 9/11, since the race was on 9/13.

Heading for hump day, yes we are.  grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tet--Best post race food at the Abebe Bikila.  Ethiopian food of course!  We went out for a whole meal of it Saturday night, yum!   Really unique race, lots of heart-felt effort in it from the RD and volunteers.  One of Abebe's Olympic teammates (a boxer) was there with his daughter.  He is in his 60s now and needs a kidney transplant, but got up and spoke to us before the start.  They also rang little bells 184 times, for the victims of 9/11, since the race was on 9/13.

Amy - is that the one you finished 20th OA, 5th woman and 94th time to win your AG in a marathon?

<<<(swoon/swoon)>>>

Mike - with a couple of gels pinned to your waistband and aid stations only an hour or so apart at your pace, you probably won't need to carry your own hydration.  Sounds like you don't want to anyway, so don't.  I dare you.

nice 'versary travel plan jay.

Maybe you'll get out here for 37?

Tag - Good job!.

please post the same article as it appeared in your local dog news.

Sorry we take you canines for granted too often as when mine made me famous

for running a marathon with me under his own bib number and name in those days too. .

ps dave - I have lots of brain cells I don't use anymore, if ever,

but they will probably make you run barefoot too. sorry.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

How do you guys do long training runs with just hand-helds?  Is there water available everywhere you run? 

Yes.  The river path has water fountains about 2 miles apart, so I never carry water on my runs, just a waist belt with gels if my runs are 18+ miles.  And the local 50ks have frequent aid stations, so I've never carried water at those, either.  Maybe I should try the Nathan vest again this weekend, just to see.  But if the temps are reasonably comfortable, a hand-held should be fine.

Mike - I was thinking about your son and his dog this morning.  We had dogs as kids, but I resisted getting dogs as an adult for a long time, first because I was too mobile and then because I had kids and school and work and I figured I had enough on my plate without pets (which I knew would be MY responsibility).  Now we have Dexter (7) and Daisy (5.5) and Max the cat (11), and I can't imagine life without furry friends.  But I also know that, as my pets get older, it will be ME caring for them when they get sick, when they get life threatening health problems, and it will be me that has to make the decision to let them go when the time comes, and I know it will crush me.

5.3 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 55 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey All.

A pre-Boston meet up would be awesome.

Happy anniversary to Jay and Mrs. Jay. Cool travel plans.

Good to hear Mike.

Very nice enke.

Pet dog. Snerk.

I am now only a handheld bottle guy. Anything more really seems to distract me. I'm always amazed at the folks running with hydration packs. I think I could hike with one but running seems very challenging. Good on you guys for being able to do that.

Quick lunch 7 today and back at it. Work seems to be piling up faster than I can get rid of it. Ah well. Beats the alternative.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

coastwalker happy anniversary!  What do you mean needed down time?  You telling me that 30 hours in a van going about 6 or 7 miles per hour with very little sleep is not relaxing!!  Geez.  Some people. 

Dave59 I would hand you some brain cells but I was a child of the 70's.

I just use a water belt with bottles.  I find that the backpacks are too heavy and uncomfortable for running.  For long runs when I need them, I can typically plot a route that lets me carry just 2 bottles if I want and then refill them once or twice along the way.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Hi folks!

I enjoyed the photos that were shared at various points of the relay by the Rosie Ruiz team! Great job everyone.   I noticed that Enke mentioned yesterday that she's never heard of anyone not enjoying a relay . . . you must have either forgotten or weren't around much when Ribs ran Hood To Coast. He had quite the great write-up on how deplorable these types of events are. Another one of his priceless columns.

We are in the midst of a forest fire right now - closer than any fire has been to us. Level 1 evacs are only a few miles from our house. Johnny, who many of you know, is in the Level 1 evac zone. i called him yesterday and he's packed and ready to go if needed. As of yesterday, they anticipated bumping up to Level 2 but some lower temps over night and a buttload of retardant and water dumping has delayed that. It did increase in size from 2200 to 3000 acres, but that growth was due to backburning. The fire itself had little growth activity, so that's encouraging.

surprisingly, with as close as this fire is, the air quality in town is not too bad (fire burning 12 mi SW of town and I live 10 mi SW of town), so I'll get in a few miles after work today.

Tammy

mrrun

Tammy - hope you and Johnny are ok - too many fires this year.

great write-ups on the relay - wonder what they are not posting?

Jay - happy anniversary!

Aamos - congrats on another wonderful race

plantar fascitis - NY times has an article today on a good stretch for it

Vermont50 question - we may be in the area on saturday night/sunday.  what are the dinner plans for saturday - we know what sunday's plans are....

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Vermont50 question - we may be in the area on saturday night/sunday.  what are the dinner plans for saturday - we know what sunday's plans are....

marj

We're renting a house near Hartland, VT, and I think we'll be cooking dinner there on Saturday.  It would be great to see you and Henry again!  Mike booked the place through airbnb - Mike, can you send Marj a message with the address?

Tammy, bummer about the fires!  Hope you and Johnny are safe.

Amy, congrats on another great marathon!

I can't believe none of you ever do long runs where you don't need to carry lots of water!  I routinely run 4 to 6 hours in the mountains - one of my favorite things to do!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

BTY

Jay, congratulations!

Tam, we'll continue to pray for and think about everyone threatened by these never ending fires!

Yesterday's run was 4.75 miles progressing from 8:30 to 8:10. Today's run was 3.75 at between 8:00 and 8:10. Getting a good feel for pace in this great weather. Yesterday felt like I was progressing through Easy range, And today felt like I was on the cusp between Easy and whatever is a little faster than that.   Had I gone further than say 4 miles I think I would have been working. I ran the 10k 10 days ago at just under 8:00/mi, and am hoping to run November 's 15k a bit faster than that. It's 8 weeks away - let's see if I can get 8 weeks of training in!

Ok, here goes....  Mr. C and I at the summit, with Remi on the left.  Isn't he cute?  PS - he is only 3 inches taller than me, but I made him stand on slightly higher ground during all our pictures....

If someone can tell me how to post the actual photo directly from flickr, please tell me!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."