Masters Running

Monday, 6.29.15 (Read 38 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...I had to go ignore Twocat's rule about no running in the rain, tonight.  Because I'm cutting back a bit this week to freshen the legs up for my 10K on Saturday, I drove to the middle school track instead of running...which ended up being a very good decision.  As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed the sky was looking pretty dark.  I had heard there were storms coming...but I thought they said later, tonight.  I didn't have too much to do--1.5 mile warm up--1 x 800--2x400--1.5 mile cool down--so I started running.  It started to sprinkle and the wind picked up...in fact, it was so hard that I had to take my hat off, so the wind wouldn't take it away...I like my hat.  I did my 1.5 mile warm up in 11:27 and was getting ready for my 800, when I heard the soccer ref, over on the soccer field, blow his whistle and say, "That's it!  Game over.  Leave the field and go directly to your cars!"  Hmm...well, I continued with my 800 as the rain started coming down pretty hard and finished it in 2:46.91.  Way too slow.  I recovered for 1:30 and did a 400 in 1:20.30...as it started raining harder...a lot harder.  I took off for my next 400 in a downpour and small hail and did it in 1:15.94.  Then I headed over to the side of the porta-potie to get out of the hail.  As soon as the hail quit, I took off for my 1.5 mile cool down...and then another wave of hail came through...so I ended up getting 5 laps on the track and figured it was about 400 meters to the car so I took off...finished that "2400" meters in 10:15...and I don't think that last 400 to the car was short.  So...I finished the workout with 4 total miles and a very wet ride home.

Okay--that's it.  Gotta go!  See ya!

Mariposai

MikeE, you are such an inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doing the speed work in such weather is just simply inspiring. I would have given up.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

went night swimming for first midnight madness swim of the year full of silver bubbles as Mr.. Moon approaches a fullness portending many more to come through the rest of the week, and summer.  yippee

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

went night swimming for first midnight madness swim of the year full of silver bubbles as Mr.. Moon approaches a fullness portending many more to come through the rest of the week, and summer.  yippee

Heck Yeah!!!!

Back to the grind as well. The kids got me a fitbit for father's day. The last time I had the same job, I told DW that I burned about 3500 calories a day. That was a pretty fair guess. According to the device, I burned fewer calories during the half than I do at a mediocre work day. In the two months since making the switch, I've lost 10 LBs. 15 to go to keep my Dr. happy. (and myself). I'd like to slow down the loss as to keep my pants from falling down.

SteveP