Masters Running

Monday Masters Runs and Stuff (Read 452 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I won't start complaining about the weather but it is indeed depressing up here in the PNW( 55 and raining), on the other hand, I wouldn't trade our drizzle and at times downpours, for the heat and humidity many you are suffering in other parts of the country! I'm taking another day off running since I feel my leg is not quite right yet ,despite not being any worse off after yesterday's miles. I'm trying to figure out some races for the later part of the summer ( if summer ever comes here!) and the fall: anybody going to Portland in October..? Tet:.. I'm really tempted by a certain 50Miler in July, just have to figure out how to manage the logistics... Take care everyone! Francesca
      I'm trying to figure out some races for the later part of the summer ( if summer ever comes here!) and the fall: anybody going to Portland in October..?
      I think PDR, WRFB might be doing Portland. As might Tammy. And arf and divechief? There is sure to be lots of RA's and Kicksters. I'm not sure if I want to try another marathon so soon, but I have thought about Portland. As crazy as it sounds, I am more interested in cold wet Seattle for a marathon than sunny mild Portland in October. I'm going to do Seafair Half, Carnation run for the pies 5K July 4th and that Super Jock n Jill Redhook Woodinville Half on on Labor day too. I am sure to finally meet you, the 100K athlete, at one of these events. ELIZ - GOSH THAT SOUNDED HORRIBLE!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Holly, bummer on the retainer! I remember when I went to put mine in after I'd had it for about 5 months (I had braces as an adult), and my upper was broken in about 5 pieces, hanging together by the wire. I attribute it to curious (and rough) boys, but they sure denied it at the time... New one cost over $300... I've only had time to skim the daily, and I really don't remember much of it... isn't that awful? I'll chalk it up to old age, and being really rushed. I'm waiting for my 4 pm appt who looks to be a no-show, so I may be going home soon... Got in really late last night. I had visions of doing a nice run in the morning before the games, but we were down to one car and since we were staying 15 miles out of town it was a lot of driving around as it was so couldn't go do special stuff on my own. Semi-final game for DS2 was at 9:30, finals at 2. They played very well and won their semi final game, but apparently decided they were done playing soccer for the final game. Oh well. We lost 3-0 and the kids were grumpy about it, but glad to be done with it. Their minds are already in Hawaii at the Regionals tournament (the one that really matters) and I think they just didn't care so much for this one after all those games. We drove home in the early evening, and the sky was just gorgeous thru Denali Park... I did get some pictures that I'll try to post later. Got home a little after 11 pm (Holly, it was about a 375 mile drive from where we started to our house). Sure love that car for long distance drives... Set Cruise Control at 72 or 75 and off we go, almost 30 mpg when fully loaded with boys and soccer gear. So, I ran more than I thought I would last week, but not as much as I wanted to. It's ok though, cuz I'm tired. I did get my new shoes from Zappos while I was gone... so nice to see that box on my table when I walked in! Haven't had time to even look at them yet so I plan on doing some test runs on my treadmill tonight to see how I like 'em. If I don't like 'em at all, I'll lace up the old ones and head out for a bit... I also ordered the new Asics Nimbus 10's to see how those are. The 9's are all gone in my size from the stores I use. Anyone else try the 10's yet?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet:.. I'm really tempted by a certain 50Miler in July...
          Francesca - I saw the thrill of your running in the Mt Si 50mi and 20th Century 100K and I <(and>>> just know we're going to meet again on Corral Pass out-and-back 4,700 feet above the White River in July. Big grinBig grinBig grin It's useless to resist. It's an ultra. ps anybody going to Portland in October..? <>AND/OR VICTORIA/VICTORIA)>>> </(and>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

anybody going to Portland in October..? Francesca
            I am looking at making Portland my fall marathon. I had the chance to go out for 4 eze miles this afternoon in perfect sunny spring weather. Erika, how do you like your new shoes? It is nice to read up about your son's soccer adventure. I would be thinking about Hawaii too if I were them.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Ok, shoe report... the new Asics Nimbus 10's are .... meh... not so hot at first try. They feel smaller than the 9's and just not as comfy. I did have sorta thick socks and that might've made a difference... but they're the socks I wear with my 9's and they work just fine. How do you know if it's the shoe? or just cuz it's new? I know they all loosen up a bit over time. I hate to think I need to order a size 11... I also got a Puma trail shoe (Trailfox II) that runs very small (those are going back) and a New Balance WR645... they were ok but just not comfortable, so those are going back, too. The Nike Air Pegasus were the surprise of the day. I haven't liked a Nike shoe I've tried in years. This one was soft and cushiony, lighter weight that those Asics and roomy to the point of almost feeling loose. Lower heel than the Asics. I did a two mile run in them, getting up to 7:30 m/m at the end and they felt good! So, those are keepers. I'll try the Asics tomorrow with thinner socks. I did two miles on them tonight, but to be fair they were the first two miles and it usually takes me 3 or so to warm up and feel good. So tomorrow night I'll do the Nike's first, then the Asics (opposite of tonight), all on the treadmill so they stay nice and clean. I will try to find some more of the Nimbus 9's though. I really like that shoe... I hate the shoe industry though. Just when you find one you really like, they go and change it and it just doesn't seem to work. Oh... 4 miles tonight, first 2 at 8:34 m/m, second 2 a progression with .5 mile at 8:34, .5 at 8:13, .5 at whatever pace 7.6 mph is... then .3 at 7:30, last .2 at 8:34...
                six slow miles in the late afternoon to report. summer is sort of coming to the methow, though you can't trust the sun for very long... good runs, susan
                SteveP

Good job getting your utility belt back Tim!!!!! Our household does not miss the retainer adventures. DW and I put in 2.5 miles with the dog.

SteveP