Masters Running

How did you BQ? (Read 742 times)

Question- at my race this past Saturday, I mentioned this to someone.  I think registration opens for Boston the beginning of Sept.  My hopeful BQ qualifier is Sept 12th.  Do you think this will be too late?  Do you think it will close before this?  My friend said it fills very quickly and I won't be able to get in!  OMG!  This is freaking me out!  

Wannaberuner, registration for Boston opens on October 18, 2010

http://www.bostonmarathon.org/News.asp?NewsID=435

As long as you stay healthy, I see no reason why you won't qualify and with a pretty big margin. You'll have plenty of time with a September 12 marathon. Do register as soon as you can on October 18. It will fill up fast!

Prince of Fatness

Well, I'm 44 and hoping to BQ in my first marathon in Sept.  I've been running for 18 mos with a few breaks for injuries.  Now I am healthy and training pretty well.  I think I can, I think I can!  However......

As you know I ran Lehigh Valley last year and have lived in the area all of my life so if you have any questions about the race or the area feel free to shoot me a PM.  One thing that I would suggest is getting some time in on dirt / cinder path, as a good third of the course is on that surface.  I'm not running there this year but live withing 10 minutes of the finish so I may come down and watch for a bit.  Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

I look my best blurry!

Wannaberuner, registration for Boston opens on October 18, 2010

http://www.bostonmarathon.org/News.asp?NewsID=435

As long as you stay healthy, I see no reason why you won't qualify and with a pretty big margin. You'll have plenty of time with a September 12 marathon. Do register as soon as you can on October 18. It will fill up fast!

OK, I'm a dork!  Whew!  I should have looked this up!  

Age doesn't matter.  I started running at age 55, ran my first marathon at 57, BQed at 58 (I could have waited a year and done it the easy way, but that's not me).  I've run Boston twice and completed a 50-mile trail run at 61.

Beginner all over again

I came back to re-visit this thread, now that I am up and running again.

Smile

I'd still like to run a marathon one day and BQ one day!

I'm working on my consistency!

mustang sally

Bad faerie

My story is a lot like Divechief's.

In '05, at 39, I was ordered to lose 40 pounds pronto or get used to the idea of being insulin-dependent before I was 50.

Losing 40 pounds suddenly looked like a reasonable thing to do.  A few months into WeightWatchers, I became so desperate for permission to eat more that I decided to try running.  Someone on the WW forums suggested the C25K, which I found worked just great.

Then I got cocky.  I spent a year and a half crashing and burning as I overextended my minimal base again and again, but I hired a coach in late '06, who helped me build more appropriately toward Eugene '08.  I BQ'ed there (3:45), again at Boston (3:38), and again at Bayshore (3:39)  (goldangfarngit).  I'm going back to Bayshore this spring.  I have a score to settle with that race Smile

Boston was a blast but very expensive for someone coming from western Canada, so I don't think I'll make it a regular event if I qualify.

I once sneered, when a friend suggested a walk-run programme, that those programmes were for overweight, middle-aged ladies.

"Yes," said my ex-friend.

Smile

Those in the RA world who know me will tell you I'm not precisely built for speed.  I'm a big, well-insulated woman of German descent, designed by my genes for beer and heavy lifting, not running.  But with enough pig-headed persistence and discipline, even I can do it.  So can you.

I love all the inspiring posts.  I started less than 3 yrs. ago, am 72 now.  Not at all athletic in the past.  I have my own modest but appropriate goals to increase my mileage, and these posts are encouraging to me.  Thank you, all, and good luck, Frances Re