Masters Running

Proprioceptive training for injury prevention/rehabilitation (Read 537 times)

so i did them for the first time yesterday and was surprised at how hard they were - and kind of funny how many strange looks i received at the gym while i did my toe and heel walking - too funny!! today - went for a sports massage and she told me to just ice and not do anything else since i have to work 12 hours tonight - never know how much walking will be involved at work - and tomorrow will be a sleep day since i'm back in here tom. night again - i will try to do some of them but doubt i will get them all in ...... i can see how they will really help tho and hope to get more consistent with them going to try switching from ibuprofen to alleve and see how that works!!

denise

Renee the dog

Thank you nono, and was that a pic of your daughter the other day? What a beautiful child. Spareribs
      Thanks! She's really a delight. She just started doing yoga with me and can make it through my 25 min routines now. Her brother, who's 1, plays tackle while we pose, making it an interesting 25 min. Kind of a "combat proprioceptive training" program. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

Denise, you did them at the gym too! I have to stop being such a wimp. I wonder if these are good for you right now, since your S/I joint is in that acute inflammation phase. I don't know, of course. Maybe doing just a few of the motions & the contractions would increase circulation & help even now. (not today!) are you able to go someplace & get a fairly solid diagnosis? nonoruns, I have to agree about your daughter! She makes me smile everytime I see her. Yesterday I showed my daughter that thread, (which brought tears to her eyes...) & she loved your daughter's comment about being 4. Smile. Thanks so much for that yoga position. I think it might really help. So, I did them again this morning. Seemed to work pretty well. I used a dictionary to stand on for the leg swings. I think a solid block of something would be better. Afterward I did a yoga dvd & noticed better stability for a sequance that always gives me trouble. and through the rest of the day, I've noticed changes in the way I move. (I fall less)(kidding) I'm getting pretty enthused about this.
        btb1490

I'm stoked that so many people have gotten into this! halllar- I read in the daily that you were trying these. Care to comment? deez- I'm sure there are plenty of other people at the gym that do stranger things than this! Keep at it, maybe you'll get some people asking you what you are doing, and you can spread the word! Hey, if you need Aleve, I buy it by the caseload to save $$$. I'll ship you a few cases if you need more. I agree with dg, if these aggrivate your SI issue, back off till it's healed, of just do the one's that don't bother it. dg- I think those toe raise walks are suppose to work the calves, so I suspect it should make them feel sore at first. Just shows that you really need this stuff! Maybe back off on those a little and ease into them. Regarding your swinging leg hitting the ground, I would say just flex it more, but it seem that that bothers you. Standing on a book or platform will be fine. Just don't go doing it on the kitchen table and fall off. As these progress, you'll be doing the exercises on either a pillow, bosu, or wobble board, so that'll take care of the elevation. I'm glad this is helping you! Smile Mr. Ribs I'm glad you are finding this stuff useful too! Hope it helps! Week #2 is just about done for me. I did them at the gym this AM, and was able to stand like a statue while doing them, so bring on Level #2! What a difference this stuff makes! Yeah, I get some looks at the gym too, but so what. I do try to slink off into a dark corner somewhere to hide, and to make sure I don't kick anyone in the process. Also, I do them on a thick, cushy exercise mat in my socks, to add a bit to the challenge. Next week with the new difficulty level, it'll probably feel like starting from scratch again. But thinking about how hard this was just 2 weeks ago, and how good it feels now, I suspect the same progression the next two weeks. Keep up the great work, gang! And thanks again to dg for digging this stuff up!
            Thanks for sharing this info, I already have used some of these but see a couple more that I'm going to try. I've had hip problems with tightness that is very bad somedays, I'm always looking some new ideas.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

so the first time i did them was at the gym and the looks were hysterical!! today i did them at home and i definitely think i'm going to back off the leg swings until i have a more definitive diagnosis - i could feel them aggravate that pain so i took it easy ---- the 4 hours standing on the concrete floor doing the marathon bags and the twisting motion in the assembly line defnitely was bad for me - just took 2 more alleve with dinner and going to throw some ice on now....monday morning i am calling for a referral to a sports medicine doc - maybe an MRI or something is in order to really see what's going on in there!!

denise

dg.

so the first time i did them was at the gym and the looks were hysterical!! today i did them at home and i definitely think i'm going to back off the leg swings until i have a more definitive diagnosis - i could feel them aggravate that pain so i took it easy ---- the 4 hours standing on the concrete floor doing the marathon bags and the twisting motion in the assembly line defnitely was bad for me - just took 2 more alleve with dinner and going to throw some ice on now....monday morning i am calling for a referral to a sports medicine doc - maybe an MRI or something is in order to really see what's going on in there!!
                yay!!! i'm so glad. I wanted you to so much. (like it's my business, but I did). let us know what they say. I hope you can get in quickly. yesterday I did them at the gym. glad to not be alone as far as strange looks!! my gym has no dark corner. the main stretching etc. area is set right off the track, which is also in view of all the cardio equipment. with people. there is an area on the other side of the track, that felt a little more sekrit so i moved over there. then realized that the awesome floor to ceiling windows that were nice & dark faced the parking lot with all the incoming, & I was fully lit. oh well. i'm typing too much because I was going to go wash some greens & really don't want to. Bob, thanks for the input. I think you're right, I'll just back off a little on the toe walking, & gradually work up. my main concern is because of what I mentioned before about my toes, & I'm even though I'm making them bend now (against all medical advice) it's going to take some time to fix. so I assume that my alignment & gait must be off, & thought it might have an unexpected effect somewhere else, as tends to happen. trying to nip it in the bud. does that make sense? re the leg swing, on the second one, isn't the leg supposed to be straight? I'll try to resist the kitchen table thanks ever so. Tongue. Wink. I can't imagine doing these on a bosu or a wobble board! talk about touch downs. I'm anxious to hear how level 2 goes for you. how often are you doing these? Hi Sarge! what else are you doing for your hip tightness?
                  Yes I have started these this week and have only done them twice. The first time just before a run and the next time on a day off. I was suprised at how strenuous they actually were. I am not sure yet when I want to do them. They say before your workout but I wanted to try it different times. I plan on only 3 times a week per the article but it sounds like some of you are maybe doing them more. I will do them again tomorrow before my long run. I don't think I have done enough to make any difference yet but I can definantly see the benifits. I did mention in the daily that my legs seem more sore and tired this week for some reason. Maybe these are the cause and the xtra soreness is the strengthening of my weaker leg muscles ? Anyway I plan on keeping it up at least for the first 2 week period and then see if I want to go to stage 2

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Renee the dog

OK, I love these exercises, but I've officiallly moved them to my off days from running. That makes them 3x a week, on the same days as yoga. May not be the optimal way to do it, but it fits into my schedule and seems to flow with recovery days. I don't know what I'll do when I go to a M-F running schedule (5 days/week), but I've got a couple weeks to work that out. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

btb1490

I'm glad these exercises are gaining momentum here. Leslie- are you doing these yet? Sarge- as dg asked... what else are you doing for your hip, if anything? deez4boyz- make that sports medicine doc appointment please! dg- yes, the leg is supposed to be straight on that one exercise, you are right. I noticed I do keep mine slightly bent, just enough so that the foot of my swinging leg just skims the floor as it goes by. I figured that was good enough. Very funny story about the windows in the gym. I wonder if a crowd had gathered outside! Wink halllar- welcome to the club. Stick with it! nono- I think the main thing is that you are doing these exercises, so fit them in however your schedule permits, just keep doing them. When you go to your 5 days a week running, how about doing them before each run, just cut down on the number of sets or reps. It makes a good warmup routine. You could probably do a set in 10 minutes or less. And by doing them 5 days a week, you'd still see a lot of benefit. I have been doing these about 5x a week. In the beginning, my ankles and other muscles were burning by the end of the sets. Now, just two weeks later, everything feels very easy to do. In the gym locker room this morning, it was pretty cool to be able to lift up my foot and put my sock and shoe on while balancing on my other foot the entire time. So today I took it to level 2. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't bad at all. The technical difficulty isn't that much more than level 1. There are more exercises though, so maybe that's where the difficulty lies. In fact, I think they eliminated what I felt was the most difficult exercise from level 1, and that was the cross leg swing, where you swing your leg at a 45* angle to your body. Did anyone else find that one a real challenge? Level 2 does add the one legged squats. I found that one challenging, and wobbled quite a bit, especially laterally in the knee. That is gonna help tremendously with knee stability. I thought the bicycle kick one was going to be tricky, based on it's description, but didn't find it bad at all. Hey, maybe there is something to this stuff. The real reason I'm happy to be at level two is because people at the gym got bored of watching me do the level 1 ones, so now with these new exercises, the crowd is back again! Tongue
                        so - i had to go to my primary care, couldn't get a referral for a sports med doc or an MRI - said my insurance would deny it........not happy.........did get a script for PT so will start that - doc said if after a couple of weeks of PT still no improvement then we can revisit the MRI and i'll have a better chance of getting it approved. went to running group track tonight just to talk with the coach and one of our PT's - he went over some things with me, showed me some stretches and traction exercises to do and told me which PT office and a name to get an appt with - i had called somewhere else today but he strongly advised me to change to someplace else so i'm taking his advice - would go to him but his office relocated him kind of far away......i plan on going to track on the wednesdays even if i can't run - will walk the track a little and help the coach with timing runners - at least i'll be part of the group and hopefully will keep up my spirits.

denise

ehdt

I like to do the pvv workouts with my son in front of the TV watching football instead of just sitting the whole game. Does anybody still do these?

dg.

I just started adding them back  Glad you posted... that will encourage me to make time for them!   I do them at work.  (shh!)