Masters Running

Tuesday, Feb. 10, Runs, songs and stories (Read 566 times)

evanflein

No turkeys here, but I do flush several ptarmigan on a regular basis. We have an unusually large population of them around here this year. [now I'm gonna sit back and wait for someone to pick up the "flush" and run with it...] Yeah TimBo, but easy does it there big fella. Wink I'll run in shorts later, too! But only cuz I'll be running inside... -20° today and boy it even looks cold out there! Pretty in a way, but chilly... Last night after my lackluster workout if felt so good to sit in the sauna for about 8 minutes. Wanted to stay longer but had to go retrieve DS2 from b'ball practice. I used to take a sauna after every workout there, but lately I feel too pressed for time. Oh did that feel good... then out into the cold to start up the car.
      All this talk of turkeys makes me wonder if PBJ chose the Turkeynator for his ride today. Can turkeys ride spin cycles?

Once a runner . . .

xor

Only if someone helps them put their weird turkey feet in the shoe cages. Turkeys don't have clips. Also, they have to swap out the seat for the wider, softer kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Well, I for one had to google "ptarmigan". I knew it was a bird, but though sure you spelled it wrong Erika! Smile http://animalexploration.tripod.com/ptarmigan.html

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

7 miles with Renee this afternoon at a pretty good clip...we even did some hills (running on and off the boardwalk ramps that are every block). That's the best I have -- about 12' elevation change. Renee sure enjoyed it though. I got a little dizzy after a few blocks and then we just ran at sea level. Cool I didn't wear shorts, but did go hatless and headbandless with my new 1/2 inch haircut. Good stuff.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sorry, no turkey stories here. I ran in shorts Smile but on the TM Sad Well that was my decision. I am just tired of wearing tights, and have to feel the freedom sometimes, ya know? Plus I bought a new pair of shorts I had to try out. I like 'em. 10.2 miles all pretty slowly, trying to keep a low HR so that I can go faster later in the week. Stupid question, or maybe it isn't, will the Garmin 305 HR monitor transmit to most treadmills or is it specific to the device? I thought I read something about it not cross talking to other receivers. I am thinking of buying a 305 and training at specific HR's.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Maniac 505

Stupid question, or maybe it isn't, will the Garmin 305 HR monitor transmit to most treadmills or is it specific to the device? I thought I read something about it not cross talking to other receivers. I am thinking of buying a 305 and training at specific HR's.
                Nope, not a stupid question, I think you will find the Garmin HRM specific to the device, but if you want a Heart rate strap that will talk to a dreadmill, You could pick up a cheap Polar like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000ASDGU8/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1234299536&sr=8-1 Dave
                wildchild

Carolyn

Yay, TimBo's baaack! Tramps, you didn't nail that PBJ special - you were 3:16 too fast! Roll eyes It's supposed to be 8 in an hour. JDmom got it much closer than you did, only 30 seconds off. EGH3, sorry you're on the DL, but you're gonna be such a stud muffin after all that lifting! Big grin We don't have wild turkeys or ptarmigan - we have grouse. They usually scare me when they fly up suddenly out of the brush next to the road. I ran 5 miles today, like Mary, WRFB, SloHand, and TomS (only slower). No shorts for me since it's 40° and windy today. I made it a progression run, since I started out into a headwind and would be able to speed up on the way back. I nailed it pretty well, too! 10:53, 10:36, 10:14, 9:37, 10:34. But I have a confession to make: at the halfway point, I took off my windshirt and tied it around my waist. Sad I didn't think I had much choice - I really needed it when I was running into the wind, but not when I'd turned around. May you all have the wind at your backs today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks Divechief, I am definitely going to think about the polar now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke, DH has a cheap polar, just as dive suggested, that he uses on the TM. I was once chased by a very mean goose in Minnesota once. It was huge, too. 4 roly poly miles for me as the DOMS continues. Sunny and high 40s but also windy here. My column for this week is going to be about the Krispy Kreme Challenge--the 4 miler you try and do in under an hour, held in Raleigh. You have to stop at the turn-around and eat a dozen donuts, and keep 'em all on board at least until you finish. Ever do this one, Peter or Perch? grins, A Franc, thanks for the bacon-less carbonara recipe. Zukes, a brilliant idea!
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        Mary, I was going to take the day off but 60 and sunny pulled me out. Big grin Tim, Everyone is as excited as you about your return. "Doctors we don't need no stinkin doctors" Sometimes you just go with what is given. The only birds flying around here on most days come from inside cars. Wink I ventured out into the eliments today and braved sunny and 60 degrees. It was tough and I was overdressed in my shorts and long sleeve shirt. Wink Managed 4 miles on my favorite one mile hill loop. Each loop is 50% uphill and 50% downhill. and is a perfect mile. I just run as many miles as I wish. A little ove 36:00 so about 9 minute miles. Watch out for the low flying Turkeys everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Beautiful day in NW OK....not so nice in OKC where a tornado did quite a bit of damage....no reports of serious injury at this time. Hope Paul made it through it ok. Mrs Day and her parents were there and got stuck inside Sams while roofs were being taken off at Target and others just down the street. They waited it out in a safe place, then scurried home. Thank you God for keeping them safe... Unfortunately that's the nature of things and sometimes its not pleasant. Now on to the regularly scheduled programming. It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down I had the radio on, I was driving running. Trees flew by, me and Del were singing Little Runaway I was flying Yeah running down a dream That never would come to me Working on a mystery Going wherever it leads Running down a dream 6 nice miles for me this afternoon.....10:09 pace. I see lots of turkeys on my runs. I used to comment on them all the time till it just got to be too routine. Yep, they can fly.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          pfriese

Beautiful day in NW OK....not so nice in OKC where a tornado did quite a bit of damage....no reports of serious injury at this time. Hope Paul made it through it ok. Mrs Day and her parents were there and got stuck inside Sams while roofs were being taken off at Target and others just down the street. They waited it out in a safe place, then scurried home. Thank you God for keeping them safe... Unfortunately that's the nature of things and sometimes its not pleasant.
                            Nothing in downtown OKC where I was. Out in the west suburbs, DW's car had a nice softball size hole from hail in her sunroof, not to mention all the dings on the hood. No damage at the house. No run for me tonight. Paul
                            evanflein

Well, I for one had to google "ptarmigan". I knew it was a bird, but though sure you spelled it wrong Erika! Smile http://animalexploration.tripod.com/ptarmigan.html
                              Ha! It's our State Bird! I'd hope I could spell it right. I love spelling things out to people on the phone... "P as it Ptarmigan" and they always get it wrong. Geez. Roll eyes Evryday and Pfriese have very similar looking avatars... This thread has really gone to the birds today...
                              xor

I thought the alaska state bird was the mosquito.