Masters Running

Sunday's Runs in the Sun - October 5th (Read 448 times)

6 blustery miles for me this morning. Nice and cool 68F. Good luck this weekend to all the racers..... Jlynne....tailgating sounds fun....go Pack Teresa...those XC guys/gals are tough. Slippin' slidin' muddin' ...your DS did great. Peter and Tramps....20 plus miles...very nice. I'm looking for a coach to train me....on Mondays only.....DickyG are you interested? Good runs to all today!
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

7.05 miles for me in 42 degrees this morning. Still in the skirt, but I wore two tech shirts and light gloves. Felt AWESOME during the run today. How can that be, the day after a LR, and an especially tired and sluggish LR? EVERY minute of my run today was better than ANY minute of my run yesterday. I would have gone on and on, except I ran out of time before church. Another one of those running mysteries, I guess. Now we're headed off to another soccer game in some far-flung place… Some big races this weekend – looking forward to reading the reports.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

I wonder how they're doing? the portland site has a link for results. none yet. imagine. (had to look) Teresa, congratulations to your DS. Carolyn, beautiful picture, thanks. TomS, nice run. I'm glad you seem to be back. Too bad it was hard though, me too. Holly, how cool that yours wasn't! i'll catch up more a little later, need to post this & get going. 30F, 100%H when I started. beautiful, blue sky, at least after a while. still in shorts. which was fine later. but more tops, & gloves. 9.43 miles, 9:33 average pace, 7:35 max, ahr 162, mhr 178. hard but not too bad,, some points where cruise kicked in. Smile. That is a fairly new addition for me. I really was going for 8, but oh well. The miles are a little messed up because of Polar User Error. 11:10 140/153 9:37 159/165 9:26 158/173 9:50 158/169 9:46 166/172 9:02 167/174 next was .44 miles at an 8:45 pace 8:51 175/176 9:02 175/178 last little bit at 8:27, finished at 7:59. DickyG, I'm very wiped out right now. I need my post run strategy.
          I'm exhausted - I stood out in the cold in a muddy field from 11:30 until 2:45, then sat in a gym for the awards ceremony until 4:45. Do you think kids have any idea what their parents will do for them? Smile
          This probably won't make you feel any better but when I ran XC in High School, my Mom did the same for me, and it only took me 25 years or so to finally get around to thanking her. Big grin I have to thank the weather gods today though, for such brilliant running conditions.....really great out their this morning. 18.10 rolling, colorful, leaf-strewn miles, 2:32:44 (8:27's).....some at MP, 138/155

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

got a big boost in hopin' to do annual10K in under 55:00 with a "let's go" from enke next to me with about one-half mile to go. Caught up to a Japanese runner with a Flying Feet ("hikyaku") shirt but ended up 55:XX and no Eastside goddess in sight. Sad

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

10 K race this morning. IRC, met up with Franc59 and Tetsujin. He stole something from me....next time, he's going to get a beating! Short RR will follow. I will have to get it in before the big, more interesting marathons reports get posted! Great to hear about everyone's pleasant fall weather Sunday runs.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mainerunnah I hope your race went spectacularly well! Good luck to you and the other RA's out there today. Peter NC great 20 miler! Going "too well" is problem we all should have! Big grin DickyG splitting your final two games is not so bad. What would be bad is if you were a Cubs fan! Wink Tramps yea, it is cheating, but just this time we will let you get away with it. Clowning around Very nice 21 miler today. wildchild if you are going to post pictures of phenomenal places to run like that the least you can do is mention that there is no oxygen way up there or something! Geez, otherwise all I can do is look on with envy. Really . . . Wink Walt.RB excellent 18 mile run, in a good pace with hills. Twocat today I ran the Ridgefield HM. WARNING: Major whining ahead! I have set my PR on this course three times. Not today. The weather forecast, as recently as yesterday, was for IRC. Sunny and cool. The forecast had been so consistent that this morning I did not even look outside before getting dressed. I put on my singlet and some sun block. Then I waited for my TP to show up so we could leave to pick up a friend of ours. Out of the garage the first thing I noticed was it was raining! A solid steady rain. What happened to my clear and sunny? Cry I was totally unprepared. My mood just went from so-so to totally bummed out. (Yea, I did not wake up all that excited to run today what can I say.) On the course I could never warm up. My legs just would not move. You know how at the end of a HM you feel like your cardio system is going to quit on you from exhaustion? I never came close. My heart and lungs were fine. It was my legs that would not move. Oh well, as Cubs fans are saying, there is next year. Or better yet in a few weeks the NYC Marathon which is what I really care about. Still, it would have been nice to pull off a sub 1:30 HM this year (which is what I did at this very race last year). Alas, that will not happen. (END whining.) On the brighter side a day of racing in the rain still beats a day laid up injured or traveling for work! Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Way to Go Tet! I'm anxious to hear of Enke's results too. and of course, there are many marathoners this weekend and am anticipating some great RR's and dinner reports w/ pics! I'm heading out for my run now . . . not sure on the distance . . . I'll run as long as I feel like it, but am hoping for no less than 1.5 hrs. But who knows - it's a lazy Sunday and I'm just going to listen to my body and what it wants to do.

Tammy

Dave59

13.1 miles this morning at the Brooksie Way Half-Marathon. It was a fun event in Rochester Hills Michigan. I avoided a personal worst but I was 13-14 minutes behind my personal best. I don't really like being this slow, but the alternative (more running) is not any better. Roll eyes Tongue

wildchild

Carolyn

wildchild if you are going to post pictures of phenomenal places to run like that the least you can do is mention that there is no oxygen way up there or something! Geez, otherwise all I can do is look on with envy. Really . . . Wink
                      There's about 21% oxygen up here, same as everywhere else! Wink That picture was taken on the road at the top of my driveway, at about 9,400 ft, so yeah, the air's kinda thin... Hey, I'd love to see some fall foliage pictures from the rest of you... especially those of you in oak/maple country. Twocat and Dave, sorry your half marathons weren't PRs, but nice running, anyway! And nice 10Ks for Enke, Tet, and Francesca - nice that you got to see each other at your race! Looking forward to hearing from the Beers and Maine after their marathons...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, folks. Hope all the races went well. The weather was perfect around Boston, so hope it was all over. Out for a lake loop and a couple of extra miles for 5.2 for the day in 48:45. During the last mile I got passed slowly by a youngster (by tselbs definition) in her 30's. We chatted for a little bit as she went by and I asked how long she was going today, as she had a well stocked fuel belt. She looked at her Garmin and said "well, I'm 17 miles in and I'm about 3 miles from home." Still running very easily. She was nice enough to compliment me on my (measly) 5 miles. And as always, when I get passed by the fast wimmen, I feel like I get the better part of the view deal Evil grin I added a 1.5 mile cool down walk with Max when I got home to find that I was 2nd in line to the one and only shower with DS in and DW waiting impatiently as she was off to the Topsfield fair in a short time. A minor milestone for me today--I've gone over 1000 miles since I started logging in June, 2006. I know it's not much in comparison with just about everyone else here, but I'm happy with every one of them. I only do 3 days a week, so it doesn't add up too quickly. Shy Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Walt, that's cool you thanked your mom! Maybe my kids will do that one of these years. I wonder how Mainerunnah came out? He sure had a great day to run.

Marathon Maniac #3309

DickyG, I liked your plan except for the Chili Dogs. I like Chili Dogs...and cheese! This is Marathon training ya know...get it together Bro... Teresa, you are such a great mom, and have a super speedy son...he WILL realize alll you do for him one day. Holly, sooo funny. My long run yesterday was miserable, but today's felt awesome...go figure. Little behind at RA, so here is what went on in my running world this weekend. 20 miles Sat that never felt good from mile 1, to mile 20...planned on 23 but NO WAY. 3:02 9:05 pace....atleast I got it done, but never felt in the zone or comfortable the whole way...I guess training for a Marathon is like this sometimes, huh? Then 10 miles today that felt awesome. 38 degrees and sunny when I started....and still topless for Carolyn. Little chilly at first, but nice and comfy after the temps got above 50...no wind either. Another 30 mile weekend done, with 1 more to go...whew Hope "our" racers did well today...can't wait for the race reports. Have a great night all. Tramps....PLEASE step in and rescue me from my new training plan...heartburn is all I am thinking about. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Just got back from 10 mi around the island. Huge temp drop the last mi as the sun went down. Brrrrrr! It was humid and warm before that. Renee came with me for the last 4 mi., which was great. I can't wait until she's ready for the full 10s with me again. Should be soon. She's game to try, but the weather just hasn't broken enough for me to push the distance with her. Can't wait to read the race reports! Have a great running week everyone!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

TammyinGP

Ended up with a little over 12 miles in a little over 2 hours. Running conditions were great - overcast and about mid 50's. Wore a running skirt and my Eugene Marathon shirt. I love this kind of running weather - not cold enough for running pants but cool enough to wear a long sleeve shirt. Sort of a slow run for me, but I guess I was a doggy magnet today, so had to stop several times to give some attention to the dogs. A few even thought they'd join me on my run for a block or so. Then I gave Mariposai a call to see how her marathon went. Got to hear a bit about the big gathering last night and a sneak preview on what a few of the RR's will be like.You all are in for some good reading! have a good rest of the weekend. Carne asada tonight . . . mmmmmm!

Tammy