Masters Running

It's Saturday! 8.17.13 (Read 42 times)

evanflein

Funny way to do that, Twocat. Most people find a marathon and train for it. You train for a weekend, and then look for a marathon. Hey, whatever works, right? Newport is beautiful, I was there a few years ago for a conference and really liked the area.

I agree that OM is running very well these days. Actually, Esther, you have been running really well for awhile now. It's been fun to see you come along so well.

Holly, I agree. And nice that he asked you instead of just going and not really wanting to. I love having unscheduled days/evenings/weekends, whatever. Although since our kids are pretty much grown and (almost) gone, our time is much more our own these days and that's nice, too. Still seems like we're always too busy though, and so many things just don't get done.

Ordered new shoes recently and tried them on today. Neither pair fits my right foot. Rats. I got the New Balance Minimus 10 Trail shoe, and the Asics Gel-Lyte33 and they're both too tight on the ball of my right foot. Asics are usually always good for my feet, I've been through many, many pairs of different models. But RoadRunner Sports doesn't seem to have the Speedstar anymore, so I was trying out different models. Back they go.

14 miles on the Equinox course today. I forgot how hard that motherXXXX is! Started at the base of the Dome (just past mile 8) and went all the way up, then the "out-and-back" and back down the way I came. I got out later than I'd wanted to (after 3 pm) and hadn't had lunch, just a mid-morning breakfast. I had water and Nuun before I left, but didn't take any with me. Suffice to say, by mile 11 I was pretty much out of gas and glad the last two miles were downhill. Unfortunately, they're steep downhill and require attention and coordination to keep from falling. Man, my legs were toast when I got back to the truck.

Recovery drink of choice: Odwalla Chocolate Protein Monster. And three pint-size glasses of ice cold water from the fridge! I was down about 5 lbs when I got home.

Marathon Maniac #957

..I stopped right in the middle of the road because it's way out in the boondocks...and, the very instant I stopped, I was covered with a swarm of mosquitos...well, of course Holly's story about fighting off the wasps with the hose popped into my head...so I started fighting them off with my....oh...never mind...sorry...

Big grin

Erika - that's a tough workout, for sure.  Any chance there are fewer skeeters at the higher elevation?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Now I just have to figure out which marathon to run.  Roll eyes  At least I have settled on a weekend, either November 9 or 10.

I'd suggest the Harrisburg Marathon on November 10. Mostly flat and scenic, varied terrain, lots of crowd support but the feel of a small town race. The city itself loves this race and the residents go out of their way to make the runners feel welcome. Granted, you're about an hour east of me, Twocat, but it's not a bad drive straight out to PA. We stayed one night at a hotel that was literally a 15 minute walk to the start. I would do it again if I wasn't trying to avoid repeating states.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks for the kind words Erika. And I agree with Holly, tough run! I have those ASICS shoes, kinda like them but haven't mainstreamed them into my regular rotation since they're still quite new. Similar weight and heel drop as my trusty first edition Pure Flows, but the fit and feel is similar to the Mizuno Wave Riders I used to wear a couple years back. Sorry they didn't work for you. I broke down recently and got a pair of Nike Free 5.0+ just because I'm getting desperate in trying to find a shoe once my last remaining Flows get used up. Needless to say, those will now be my walking around sneakers, oy...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

speaking of mike:s pit stops, is zigalina taking a long one too?

erika - does the downhill have the chute anymore.

i remember something about a reroute for the 50K or something, wasn`t it?

catmantwoo - it`s not a bq-qualifier but, except for getting here, the price, if any, is right and, with a half marathon too maybe enke to say nothing of getting divechief back into marathons and maybe even some canadian participation.  If you do, we won`t tell posie when she comes back from hiking around Mt. Rainier.  http://firstcalltorunmarathon.blogspot.jp/2013/08/first-call-veterans-day-marathonhalf.html

One of the fun parts of traveling to Japan is the new foods and soft drinks that come out for test marketing several times a year.  I didn`t care for the potato chips with carmel fudge stripes,.Hokkaido stew taste and consume soup flavors but the cold rose hip tea in soft drink vending machines reminded me of those days up in erika-land.  Now if they`d only add wild raspberries too. In fact, it helped me to a new A/G PR by over an hour for marathons over 95-degrees. Of course, I didn`t have to stop midway and go check out of the hotel across the street and I was able to keep jet-lag recovery naps to only two of 10 and 15 minutes each.

I used to look forward for post-marathon strawberry or vanilla easy-to-carry, easy-to-eat, Jog-Mates.  haven`t had anything to look forward to since they went out of busniess about 10-12 years ago. oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)