Masters Running

...and a wonderful Thursday (Oct 2) it is... (Read 595 times)

evanflein

Tim that was a smokin' run. You're definitely coming in on the 2 hour side, not the 6.... Holly, good call. I asked the RVM guys what I could do about that race since I'd paid for it and then the next day found out I couldn't go (travel issues). They said if I sent them $10, they'd mail me my shirt after the race. I'm tempted to do it... I hear it's a very nice shirt. But what I really wanted was an exception to the "No refunds, No deferrals" rule... Oh well. (and I also have a problem with wearing a race shirt for a race I didn't run!) So nice to see Divechief back in action! Dave, I thought of you the other day when I was remembering the Christmas marathon in Olympia last December. Was really concerned about you after that one, but it sounds like you've done a good job on the rehab. Dave59, that's funny... I love Despair.com and can spend way too much time there... Funny how so many of their posters would be appropriate in my office! Tramps, our tuition waiver far precedes the faculty union(s). Actually it was started years ago by our staff governance group... I've always told my kids I'd pay for their college if they went here, and now after toiling away all these years here, they're talking about going outside. Phooey. Enke, it's always easier when the rest days coincide with bad weather. Good for you on being good... I'm not always so good at that. DickyG... I'll shovel up a bunch and send it to you! Hi Deb! Hi Mary! Brought my running stuff to work today so I can run at lunch before it starts snowing again this afternoon. And I want to watch the debate tonight... hope our girl doesn't embarrass herself (or us) quite so badly tonight. Roll eyes
    wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, congrats to your DD on her promotion! She "huged" her grandma? Timbo, you sure are speedy! Running topless, eh? Shy I like the visual of your legs taking off, and your upper body trying to keep up! Tramps, speedy run for you too! There were a lot of surprisingly un-rich kids attending Penn. My freshman-year roommate was a black girl from Philly whose father drove a taxi. Very diverse place. Of course there were also lots of rich kids, and plenty of Jewish-American princesses. (Can I say that?) Holly, sounds like you're just being lazy today - taking lessons from Mary? Wink Glad you could switch your marathon to 2009. Divechief, welcome back! Some of us haven't taken a break from running and are slow as a slug all the time. Deb, what's with the goose-poop free Frees? Is there a story behind that? Tall, you're brave to post your goals ahead of time. Good luck! DickyG and Enke, I did some consulting work for Coors, and they had free beer on tap in the cafeteria. The joke was, the beer was free, but you had to pay for coffee. I was lazy yesterday and took the day off. Today I went for a sproinky 5-mile run at lunchtime that was kind of a regression-progression run. Much like a bell curve. 9:46 - 9:55 - 10:10 - 9:56 - 9:36. I tried a new trail called the Highline Canal trail, that goes through Cherry Hills Village, full of huge McMansions. I know Mtnchk runs there sometimes. These places are really huge, pretentious, and appalling. But the trail was pretty, and offered some nice shade.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mainerunnah--Bob's is on my short list! No need to apologize, see, yu came through and confirmed! roch, I read Once a Runner and was unimpressed with the writing. Here's what I posted a while ago right after finishing it: it's entertaining, but the writing style is clunky and in some places, forced. Still, I'm glad to have read it, and REALLY glad not to have spent money on it. Dive, welcome back! You're get yuor speed back soon, in the meantime, you're running. (which beats being an elephant in the ocean. Ask Arf!) Wink grins, A
        Masters 2000 miles
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, I guess my folks were lucky that UT was so cheap - $4 a credit hour, all throughout both of my degrees. They didn't have to pay much! Then I got a fellowship to grad school, so the school paid ME to attend and test bunches of polymer concrete. I liked the pay, but I didn't like pouring concrete. Big grin
            back from the track and CC race-DS2 had a PB with 12:18 finishing 11th, or so, but the smile was priceless...my voice hurts from screaming so much, but 'sokay killed my track workout! 4x2000M-tempo/-rest interval of 2 minutes between each --8:15>8:14>8:06>7:57 (about 6:35 pace down to 6:24 pace) 4x200M-fast/rest interval of 2 minutes to jog/walk to the next 200M mark 36sec/35/35/34 Feeling good, feeling fine ---------------------------------------------------------------- Have a nice evening people!
              DS2 had a PB with 12:18 finishing 11th, or so, but the smile was priceless
              Dale, that's great. Dark Colt had a different experience today at his middle school cross-country race. First meet of the year, and he isn't in shape so hasn't been running well in practices, but he is a gamer and did his best today. With about a quarter-mile to go, he was about 6th out of 50-plus boys, but he got a bad stitch in his side, and about 20 kids passed him as he struggled to keep running. I felt sick watching him, but I guess not as sick as he felt. The stitch took a while to ease up, too; he was still hurting when we got home. Ugh. Just a bad day at the races. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              DickyG

Of course there were also lots of rich kids, and plenty of Jewish-American princesses. (Can I say that?)
                Absolutely...I think the term "JAP" has come to mean a certain type of person and has transcended the original implication...I refer to some of my gentile friends as "JAPs"...and everyone knows the type of person you're referring to. It's not a flattering term, but I don't think it was ever meant to be flattering...sort of like the term "WASP". At least in my opinion it's no big deal. FatherOfTwoJapsG
                evanflein

Sproinky little lunchtime 5 miler under heavy skies... we have a winter travel advisory starting at 6 pm meaning we could get heavy snow in spots (like where we are) and the temps are warm enough to make it a wet/sloppy (and then later) icy mess. Lovely. Glad I got my run in now, and tomorrow's a rest day anyway. Aamos... elephant in the ocean?
                  xor

Aamos... elephant in the ocean?
                    Heh. I'm very proud of this. Tis my secret message haiku to Aamos in the Aamos secret message thread.

dg.

Holly, it's great you got your registration deferred for Columbus. Good, now you can get yourself a little more solidly healed, yes? next year huh? food for thought. Crazy Tall, good luck! I hope all the necessary pieces come together for you... you've done your part. And you motivated me to finally go get a fitness test at my gym... it's part of my membership. i've been putting if off. Diligently. This is perfect because if I don't like the numbers I have the perfect plan thanks to Tramps. Smile. Hi Erika! you are really making me want to run at lunch. ... you don't sweat?? Carolyn, I love the coupon. (and it usually does.) As far as my Frees, (you are a careful reader Smile ) where I run every Sunday is a popular goose hangout. You can watch your step for only so long. I learned the hard way to be very careful of what stretches I do when I'm done. Shocked. Tuesday there was a Mizuno trailer with a foot tester at a local running store... I got there & met 2 women who'd been waiting for 2 hours! So instead I got a new pair of Frees on clearance, (goose poop free Frees) & I still got my free shirt. Smile. {{{Dark Colt}}} Dale, wtg to you two. Amy, remind me why it is we like fall.
                        Amy, remind me why it is we like fall.
                        C'mon, Deb -- it's the best season in Michigan!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

100 pushups 100 situps 30 barbell curls 30 lat pulldowns 30 squats 30 leg curls 30 leg extensions 50 wrist barbell curls 2 miles on the elliptical Dark Horse
                          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Maniac 505

A> I just asked Arf, she doesn't have a clue, nor does she have a clue what Robert is referring to, want to fill in the rest of the world?
                            Dive, welcome back! You're get yuor speed back soon, in the meantime, you're running. (which beats being an elephant in the ocean. Ask Arf!) Wink grins, A

Maniac 505

oh, never mind
                                Dove and Arf, c'mon, no elephant tracks and all. The big ? is are you both in for this R&R thingy in June?? If not, I may balk. QUICK! What's the deal?? It could become a Stevie Ray B-Day Bash, I'm thinking....I love him, and it's a great excuse to indulge in cake and ice cream and pie!!!! JAPS were prevalent at Boston U when I was there as a Teaching Fellow--we knew our school as "Longiland U, Boston Branch." grins, A ps: we like fall b/c it is not yet WINTER!
                                Masters 2000 miles