Masters Running

Monday 7/21 (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

August: Osage County.  VERY dysfunctional family and definitely not a chick flick.  If you're looking for a feel good movie, it ain't it.  Ends kind of abruptly, too. 

Thanks for the warning...this kind of movie I can pass on.   I like happy endings.  Life and the real world is depressing enough (just watch the news).  I like my entertainment to be uplifting.  For that reason I often skip the pictures with too many awards, as I find the academy award winners are mostly disturbing or depressing.  I know, you can call me shallow, but I find as I get older that disturbing images stick with me and I am haunted for months afterward.  I would rather fill my mind with happier thoughts, if at all possible.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice running Dave!  It's nice that there's something about your job you like...it could be worse...

Ribs--it's been really cool to read about the progress you've made over the last few weeks--especially with the Saint by your side.

Hey--Posie--do you ever not smile while you're running?  Do you ever not smile?  I'm very glad you're getting some relief from the smoke...but I hope they get that fire under control quickly.

Sitting outside listening to music does sound like fun, Holly...with the right music...and the right company...and some beer...

Amy--you're another one I picture having a smile on your face every time you run.  So--I think I missed you telling us about that race you just did where you're hefting that big trophy.

Hey Slo!  Nice to see you pop in.  How's the running going?

Leslie--I can't believe it's been 3 years already.  I remember driving down for the Hogeye Marathon when all this stuff was just starting.  I was very new here and I was already concerned about you.  You both have come a looooong way.  I'm very happy for you guys.

It sounds like you really needed a day of, today, Jay.  Man, you get a lot done in a day

Nice racing Erika!  Competing with the kids...with a sore calf...after not running for days...very nice racing.

And win is a win, wildchild...nice running.

C-R--my son in Alaska always talked about all the moose he saw "every day".  The first time I visited him there, I was there for a week, and never saw one.  So for the next couple years I teased him that he was just making it up and there really were no moose in Alaska.  He got very irritated with me...I'm not sure why.

Hey tet!

Okay--I gotta go!  DW is calling me--we're going to watch The Money Pit--we love that movie...we'll laugh our heads off when he's stuck in the hole in the floor.  See ya!

August: Osage County.  VERY dysfunctional family and definitely not a chick flick. 

+1.  If it hadn't been for Meryl and Julia, I wouldn't have stuck with it to the end. Reminded me of my own family growing up a little too much. Congratulations to Shorty - what great news.

Hi Slo!! Where 'ya been?!

I'm so sorry about your weather conditions Mariposai. I can't imagine how stressful your situation must be.

Enjoy the chase Erika. You can take that woman!

"A loaf of good bread" Carolyn? Did it have $20 bills baked into it?

Speaking of heat and humidity - it was brutal here today (by Wisconsin standards). Worked until ten, then did a quick 30 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights before DH and I headed out for 18 holes of golf. Ugh. I was dripping wet by the 4th hole. I guess I shouldn't complain - at least it wasn't snowing.

DS#2 got a puppy. A rescue from our local shelter and a real cutie. He's unhappy that they've had her for 3 days and she's not potty trained yet. I reminded him how long it took me to potty train him!

Have a great evening everyone.

Well, the calf is better than yesterday, but barking enough (again... do calves bark?) when going down stairs that I decided to take yet another rest day. I think that's more in July than the past two months combined! Oh well, live to run another day, right?

Amy, the second place runner in my AG was over 11 minutes behind me. But that's not my concern. I'm chasing overall ratings and series points. And most of my competition (except for standout 62 year old runner Dorli McWayne) is in the 20's and 30's age groups. So yes, I'm running like hell to beat "kids" half my age. And loving that I'm getting close to them! No way to catch the true stars, but I have fun being the stubborn old lady out there. The funny thing is, I've been 6th overall in the last two races, which I think is pretty good. But the newspaper only lists the top five. So my mom always asks "didn't you run that race this weekend? I didn't see you in the story about it." Also, I've worked up to 6th overall in the series (was 7th before this last race), but only the top 5 get jackets. Right behind me is a gal who won yesterday's race, and won the series opener 5k. She's only raced two races, but won them both (100 points), and she'll probably win either the half marathon in two weeks, or the Equinox in September (or both!) so she'll probably bump me way out of the jacket contention anyway. Oh well. The chase is fun.

There, a little update on the Fairbanks running club goings on. I know you were all curious.

Good job, even though you had a sore calf. Take care of that thing this week! I ran 13 on Goldstream Rd while you guys were racing but saw some of the later finishers coming in.

re: the series. It's hit or miss with me and I've skipped the last two races to heal the knee. Sometimes I do most of the races, sometimes just a few. I got 2nd OA last year--go figure at 55--but only got 2nd in AG to a guy who was 7th or 8th OA and usually a minute or so per mile behind. A little nuance, point scale for OA are different than AG, and he did all 8 races and I did 6. This year I'm stepping out, and may or may not even do SC Half in favor being somewhat prepped-recovered for AK Senior Games. I'd like to chase some times, with next year's nationals on a possible back burner plan.

Yes, Davya  F will probably sweep in and take the remaining races, if not the series. Sub 3:00 at Mayor's, she's on a roll. Women's EQ marathon will be fast this year, if she and last year's winner are both in it. In fact the record might go down.

Finally, our weather this year is the suck. It's 54 and it looks and feels like early October. This is the year with no summer.

evanflein

Trackrat, I love it that Davya is having such a good year and she had a baby last year! What a cutie, toddling all around yesterday during the awards. I'll do all the races. With the way things are going, being in the "done them all" group will be my only chance for a shirt! Smile

Holly, I know what you mean about the entertaining movies. I love Rom-coms although DH isn't big on them. I like some action movies, but most are just too violent. As you said, life is full of tragedy every day, I don't need to have people being blown away in my living room. We don't watch movies much anymore, it seems. Something about a soft chair, dimmed lights and usually being after dinner, I'm sound asleep before it's half over!

Jlynne, don't say the S word.

We passed a moose on the way in to work this morning. It was on the other side of the bike path, eating willows. A runner was coming toward it around a corner. Thought for a second we should stop and warn him, but nah, what's the fun in that?

fatozzig congratulations to your DH.  I actually use your and your DH's story as a bit of inspiration whenever I hear about others in my non-virtual life that are struggling with various serious issues.

I thought about going to the track today to do speed work.  But I ran a race on Saturday (the inspiration for going to the track) and thought it was not a great idea to have hard runs within 48 hours of each other.  So instead I did an hour on the elliptical.  On the plus side I have started watching a series called Orphan Black.  When the Emmy nominations came out numerous articles said how the lead actress was unfairly snubbed, in all likelihood because of the show's low US viewership (it air on BBC America).  I figured it must be a really good show to get all that sympathetic press, especially if the ratings are low.  The first 3 episodes were terrific!  The 4th, eh.  I hate it when characters do really stupid things to help create a new plot line.  That is what happened.  Well, hopefully, things will get back on track.  I need shows to watch!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I teased him that he was just making it up and there really were no moose in Alaska.  He got very irritated with me...I'm not sure why.

Hey tet!

Hey Mike - I bet he didn’t take you trail running in Kinkaid Park

where someone I know got treed by a cow with two calfs in those days.

Otherwise go visit Erika-land or Rhoon-land

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Hi Slow!!!!

Yay Shorty!! He's got a darn good woman sticking by his side.

Snork, Jlynne. DD#3 wanted her pup to be trained day 1.

I got out of work at a decent hour with gas left in the tank. The dog and I went for a two mile run. There was a blue racer poised to strike. Of course, when Tag went to sniff it, the snake lunged at him. Did you know that dogs can jump backwards and scream like a baby? When we were about done, DW called and said her after work plans fell through and she was disappointed that she was missing out  on the trail too. She won't go solo because of bears. Tag and I got a bonus workout.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay Shorty!! He's got a darn good woman sticking by his side.

+1

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I ran a 10k trail race Saturday, and was 1st (and also last) in my AG.  I won a loaf of good bread in the raffle drawing!

Well done!  I like that kind of prize...

Marathon Maniac #957

, so tonight it's the Jays and a pasta party; I'll make two kinds of pasta and two sauces (DH likes the leftovers for his weekday lunches).  Happy Monday to you!

So, what kind of pasta and what kind of sauce?