Masters Running

Tuesday, July 1st Daily (Read 544 times)

Everything on the site is looking great to me. Like Kevin when I logged on earlier today everything looked strange but now it is all back to normal. Tim- Good luck on your date, like others have said I don't miss those days at all. DW is very active, athletic, fun, low maintenance, and I still wonder how I tricked her into marrying me. We will celebrate 15 fantastic years at the end of this month. Lynden- Congrats on the 3 years without smoking! That is an accomplishment worthy of celebration. Holly- I think you will find that cycling will not bother your injury. Cycling and running work muscles pretty much in opposition which makes cycling a very good cross training activity to avoid overuse injuries. Spareribs- always thinking aren't you my friend? I love the advice you gave to Bill about running with a novice. Takes the stress off of Bill and any novice would love to be in that situation. Even without running while you wait to get everything sorted out your presence here is very much appreciated. For me I tried to slow down a little on today's run. I kept my RPE around 4, and ran an extremely comfortable 10 miles in low humidity today. Time to get some more work done around the house before a trip to the gym to lift later this afternoon. Have I mentioned that I love having the summer off? Big grin
      HAPPY CANADA DAY MY FELLOW CANUCKS Raced a 5K this morning. Was out late last night. My alarm did not go off at 6:15 as planned Confused Was up at 7:15, registration was supposed to be ending at 7:30. Made it there at 7;45 and they let me register. Had no breakfast, no coffee, little water and felt groggy...ran 17:40 in high humidity, came in second masters (Frank my nemesis beat me to take revenge on the last race I beat him in). He rode my shoulder all the way and with 600meters went ahead...usually this is when I kick in but could not today...and sat back as he past me...(shameful)..... Off this afternoon for a picnic in the Gatineau's...the hills overlooking Ottawa and the Ottawa river. Take care everyone, and I will raise a glass to you all at the picnic. Tall aka Crazy Canuck

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Morning, gang... Holly: Noticed you're icing after workouts...I always thought the rule of thumb is to ice an injury before and heat it afterwards...am I wrong?
        I have always heard the opposite. Perhaps wiser folks could chime in here. {{{dg's foot}}} SR - glad the tests are normal so far, but aggravating not to know the why.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy CANADA Day!! I woke up at 5:40am thinking it was about 7:30 I was so well rested. So I snuck out of the house for 7.3 refreshing miles @ 10:28 pace. Did a few faster sections in there. My legs felt a bit dead on the hills so I will now take it easy until the 5K on Friday. I came back home and everyone was still sleeping....zzzzz.... Smile An interesting email arrived from the Seafair Marathon organizers. The last shuttle bus was late for the start and so those people were re-routed to the halfway point of the marathon and told to run the final 13.1 miles to make a half (instead of the first 13.1 miles). And the full marathon runners were out of luck I guess. Nice post Vista. Good luck Tim!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning IRC at 6 AM this morning. 64 and moderate humidity. I did 6 miles easy in 55:46 (9:18 pace). I will do 6 again tomorrow and then 4 mile recovery on Thursday before my race on Friday. Gordon: Congrats on being smoke free and running for three years! Ribs: Glad to hear everything checks out fine so far. Sounds like you have the same diet as I do. I have also cut out all sugar, which has really helped get my weight down. You are in my prayers my friend. Tall:Happy Canada Day! Great time on your race today. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

It is barely 10 am and I'm ready to call it a day. This morning. while I was trying to have my coffee and was on the phone with my Mom in Italy, DD showed up in the kitchen, white as a sheet ready to collapse in a total panic. She had found some blood on her pillow and in her ear. Yesterday afternoon she had her physical for school and DH witness the nurse sticking some instrument in her ear and making her go "ouch". We tried to calm DD down, she is very emotional and volatile under normal circumstances, the sight of blood always makes her frantic and decided to take her back to the office where the mishap took place. She saw a doctor that determined that the ear drum was ok, and the bleeding coming from a scratch in the ear canal. The attitude of the staff at the office though was really bad, trying to blame DD and worring more about hurting the guilty nurse's feeelings. I'm still fuming about it. DD, of course ,had to stratch her first practice with the CC team and is still very shaken and weepy. Well, there goes my running for the day..at least DH will go and sign me up, and DD and DS1 , for a 5K on the 4th, that will cheer me up! Enke: I got the e mail too from Seafair: that explains the delayed start and also the crowd on those last miles, so showing up extra early for the shuttle for indeed a good idea. Good runs everyone! Francesca
                Good afternoon! This darn work is getting in the way again. I'm managing to read, but haven't difficulty finding time to post. Happiest of birthdays to Holly's DD! {{{{{{{{{dg}}}}}}}}} - vent at will! I'm struggling to get back to East Coast time, and the heat and humidity aren't helping. I know, I know - I'll pay a fine if I say how much I hate running in hot, humid weather...... DickyG - I thnk the Bayside Trail is made of several, not necessarily linked, trails along the San Francisco Bay. I say trail, but most of the segment I ran on was either sidewalk/concrete or asphalt/bike trail. I made it as far as the on ramp for the Golden Gate bridge on my long run, but I had to turn around in order to get back in time for a seminar. The trail was mostly flat with one b---kicking hill that I couldn't avoid. I can't imagine running the big San Francisco hills - Lombard street would be interesting. 7.05 miles @ 9:28 on the track this morning. The heat and humidity "seemed" to be down this morning, so I went out way too fast and suffered the consequences. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Buenos tardes! The site does seem snappy, doesn't it? Joey - I have taken a few pictures but haven't loaded from the camera yet, and none of PDR in the new bathing suit. I'll try to get one of our friends to take a picture of both of us, even though I know it's PDR you really want to see. 5 easy to GA miles (about 8:35/mi) in the early morning for me. The HR keeps going up at that pace so cutting it short from yesterday's 7 left me with a lower HR than yesterday (AHR 149 vs. 154 at the same pace). There was no breeze which made it that much more difficult; however, the temp and humidity was about the same (81F and 87% -- at 6:30 in the morning!). We're in the middle of our afternoon siesta (from what, I have no idea), where we come back to the room and check on our internet correspondence. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

5 slow sweaty miles this morning. I got into a little altercation with a vicious insect today at the pool. I didn't see it, but it left a big stinger in my finger, and really really really hurt. However, after that, I figure I'm good for the rest of the day. As our vacation winds down, we're spending some time planning our winter ski vacation. I can't end one vacation, without having at least a rough outline for the next one. It's just too depressing. dg - sorry you're hurting.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

evanflein

These are the primo years for having fun with your kids (which ends at about 13).
                      Well others may not agree... but I think I do! My boys have been giving me fits this summer. Now DS1 says he wants to quit his job cuz it's not as fun as he thought it might be. Roll eyes That went over well with dad, believe me! Sounds like the Beers are having a great time. Sure hope they survive, that vacation sounds like tiring stuff... Gordon, congratulations and have a greta time in Hawaii! You're one of the "rock solid" guys on this forum and just as good in real life! Joey, you're so funny. WTG with the basketball aim. I know all about the hidden agenda stuff... Holly, happy BD to your daughter! My kids love "breakfast for dinner" too. Enjoy the bike, it's nice to have something you can do with your kids... while they still want to do things with you! DickyG... backwards dear. You can warm things up before a work out to stimulate blood flow to the region, but ice after helps control inflammation and aids healing. 'Ribs! That's a great HDL... I never knew anyone with a score as high as mine. My DH says I'm a freak... HDL was 100, LDL 62, ratio was 1.78 last time I had mine checked (January). My nurse said I eat right, run a lot and picked my parents well. Today's weather report: absolutely gross. Totally socked in with low clouds, drizzle and fog. Hard to believe it was so nice yesterday morning! I brought my running gear to work but think I'll hit the treadmill at home after work. Only 5 miles on tap for tonight anyway so shouldn't be too bad. I miss my iPod anyway... Smile

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

gordon - I can't even imagine the former you. Have a nice celebration in the aloha s tate.
                        Everything is normal
                        dear great one - glad to hear that your doctor thinks that everything is normal and we hope it is healthwise but for normal otherwise, please have doc contact me. Big grin
                        DD showed up in the kitchen, white as a sheet ready to collapse in a total panic. She had found some blood on her pillow and in her ear. Yesterday afternoon she had her physical for school and DH witness the nurse sticking some instrument in her ear and making her go "ouch".
                        dear fancesca - in Washington state, causing “bodily harm accompanied by substantial pain that extends for a period sufficient to cause considerable suffering” just like has been inflicted on your dd can sometimes constitute an assault even without criminal intent (misdemeanor vs. felony assault). Not doing anything about it means that others might suffer the same fate too. Let me know if dd doesn't get an adequate explanation and apology.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

DickyG

I have always heard the opposite. Perhaps wiser folks could chime in here.
                          Yeah...I called the orthopedic guy...you (and evanflein & dg) are right...I'm wrong. Now that I think about it (which is rare for me), your way makes sense. StoopudG
                          Henrun

I ran 7 hot, sweaty miles on the Charles River this morning. To celebrate my Canadian heritage I wore my traditional Canada Day outfit. Marj happended to come along on her cycle commute to work and snapped this photo: canada day HAPPY CANADA DAY ALL!!
                              Happy Canada day to all the Canada RA rs!! I too am losing the weight battle. I seem to be up 3 pounds in the last month. Can't figure why, Graduation parties and weddings and vacations......oh ya. Well maybe we should start a fat club or something. Undecided Gordon, congrats on the quiting the smokes and have a great vacation. Tall, great race esp. with being late. Tim, Good luck with the date. 3.5 easy miles tonight. 32:00 so about 9 minute miles. Nothing special. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Nice gams there Henry! the sky is lightening up and there's even blue patches out there! Watching the kestrels hover over the field right outside my office window... now that is cool... Might get a run outside tonight after all!