Masters Running

Saturdaily 11/25 (Read 40 times)

bioguy

After 11 and no daily? 
    Today is what Mrs Bio calls my Beatles birthday; yes, age 64. Drinking great coffee and grading papers.

Have a great day!

...mornin' bio.........and Happy BirthDay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYZlME0mQB8

==============

having the Best of Intentions Friday-

I managed

to take Pickles to an Irish Pub

after

a Guinness

and

a (usually skipped)  desert of Double Bread Pudding the size of my Head

but I'm feeling MUCH better now

I went into a stupor which didn't wear off til this morning

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Happy birthday Bioguy.

I had a great run this morning. 8 miles. My best pace of the year for anything over 6 miles. But it wasn't just the pace that made it an excellent run, I felt good the whole way. None of the usual fatigue. Legs felt good the entire run.

This is the best time of year. I love wearing my Smartwool, North Face, Eddie Bauer Fleece, Sweatshirts, Hoodies, etc. Come home from a run, take a hot shower, heat up some leftover chili, and get ready for some college football.

Tramps

Happy birthday and thanks for the start, bioguy. Got you a cake.

Tammy--bowling!  I haven't been bowling since we did the midnight-bowling thing when we lived in NYC. That was a trip.

Holly--nice tree pics

Glad you had a great run, Dave. Enjoy the cool weather.

RCG, I had one of those clouds of starlings on my run today.  Haven't seen them in a while. Quite a racket!

5 miles on a gorgeous, upper-30s day.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks for the start and happy birthday, Bioguy!   Dave- sounds like an excellent run and good plans for the day (or future days).

From my Facebook memories-  My 100K in 1983.  Under 10 hours and, at the time, a single age year (31, I think) record.  A LONG time ago.  We didn't have good tech apparel yet and our nutrition was sketchy.

No photo description available.

As for today- I went over to the park and did a different area of roads and path and managed to stretch the desired 8 miles into 9.3.  I really worked at keeping it easy and my heart rate low, and, shockingly, it went really well and I didn't feel trashed at the end.  Went to Dunkin after that.  Sadly, the fabulous donuts we had in San Francisco (they were also over-sized, which was not necessarily a good thing) sort of ruined our rather mediocre donut pickings here in Tennessee.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Happy Birthday, bioguy!! Can't think of a better way to spend it than grading papers. Well, yes I can. But I'm sure you'll get to that.

I'm glad your BOI Friday finally wore off, Tomwhite.

Sounds like a great run behind you, Dave, and a great day ahead of you.

Nice cake, Tramps, and good run with the starlings.

Fun FB memory, KSA, and good trashless 9.3 miles today. Sorry about the wimpy donuts.

I haven't been able to read the daily for a few days, so I have some ketchingup to do.

We got back from NM last night, and were soooo glad to get home. It's not that we didn't have a good time, for the most part, but it was a lot of work on crutches, and for DW to help me out along the way, so we were both worn out. The good sides were visiting with family, having a modified but very tasty Thanksgiving, spending one evening by the fire pit in the back yard, and doing some exploring, and learning about Las Cruces. We went to a huge pistachio farm where we took the very funny and informative tour on an open-air little bus and got to sample more flavors of pistachio nuts than you can (or should) imagine. Of course we bought a few bags... We also went to White Sands National Monument, which was breathtaking. The sand is, indeed, pure white. Not 'beach sand' white, but more the color of talc. In fact, it is gypsum that has been worn down over the years by weathering. It goes on for miles and miles and miles. People hike it, sled down it (on plastic discs), and enjoy watching the colors of the sunset reflecting off all of the white sand around you. Yes, I would go back there again. The not so good side was the pulmonary embolism I developed, apparently, on the flight there. Monday and Tuesday nights, I couldn't sleep because of the pain that manifest itself in my rib cage. We went to the ER on Wednesday morning, and spend the whole day there. That is where I got the diagnosis of the PE, along with a symptomless case of pneumonia. They wanted to keep me overnight for more unspecified tests, and I refused, so I signed my "get out of jail" form, got scripts for antibiotics and blood thinner, and went on my way. We were both  a little worried about the flight home, but had no other viable options, and it was fine. Last night, I had a very solid and needed night's sleep. I'm going to see my regular doc on Tuesday, and I know he's going to want to keep me on blood thinners (Elequis) for probably at least 4-6 months, if not longer. Since I am sure the clot is a result of my knee surgery and not any underlying condition, I'm going to get off this stuff ASAP, like 3 months or less.

With all this, I haven't done much stretching or knee exercises, but I'll get back to that tomorrow.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Happy Birthday bioguy, and many more! Don't forhet to take a little time for yourself amidst grading papers.

tomwhite, outstanding way to whittle the hours in a wee Irish pub laddie.

Dave59, somedays everything works, take the win. Sidenote, it's cool out there isn't it...

Tramps nice 5 miler, have a great weekend.

Karen, great memories and a job well done today. 9.3 miles yipes, I have some work to do tomorrow!

Well, I went shopping for winter running clothes with my DW and got some better winter gear to maintain my outdoor running this year til we head South. Dang, they have some very nice gear. I'm hoping it's as warm as they claim, then it'll be great doing our first cold run tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM. Have a great Saturday Masters!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Dagnabit!

Before Jay went on his trip. I started to type a note saying "Gee Jay, I would think flying after your type of procedure would be contraindicated. Due to potential embolism or DVT.

Here's hoping your recovery from this is smooth.

Glad you had a good visit to Las Cruces. We've been there a few times. The rrs had work there. And we did the Bataan Memorial Death March marathon.  The rrs did the full and I did the honorary.  I have never seen a more beautiful sunrise than the one we witnessed at White Sands.

And I've seen more than my share of sunrises.

Happy Beatles Birthday, Bioguy! Will you still need me? Will you still feed me?

Tramps! So glad you witnessed the bird cloud! An awesome feast for the eyes and ears.

Dave, whatta greta post! What a fabulous morning and continued joy into the afternoon. One can definitely relate to the feeling.

Karen, inferior donuts are not worth eating. IMHO.

Sub7, nice shopping trip. Where and when do you flee the Greight White North?

This morning, mid morning,  I took King Leonidas to the swamp trail and walked him 1.76 miles. While there I crossed paths with a blast from the past! Several of the nurses I worked with back in the day (1986 -2001) Anyway, they recognized me and asked me to join them for lunch some time. Even took my phone number to be sure to include me. Nice.

Tomwhite. You crack me up! I loved the photo of Clair. Growing up to be quite the lovely person.

RCG, I flee the GWN  on February 1st and come back early March, the first or second.

Jay, you have to take better care of yourself, I agree with RCG, flying can have adverse effects on certain procedures...

tomwhite, that was a great photo of Clair. She reminds me of my daughter at that age.

Jay-  it's my fault you got the PE.  Believe it or not (and I didn't say anything here), I was concerned about that for you when you said you were flying that far. I am not an overly medical person, but that absolutely did concern me!  I'm glad you are mainly OK and are going to see your own doc.

Sub- didn't you get a new Garmin?  Which one?  And what brand warm running stuff did you get?

RCG- Strangely, good donuts are one of the few things lacking here in our wonderful area of middle Tennessee.  Dunkin is OK- just not what I was used to in Dallas with an Asian owned independent donut shop about every half mile.  Also- we lack really good Chinese food.

dnaff

Happy birthday Bio!  

Jay, take good care of yourself.  That is really concerning.

Todays workout was to remove the last of the leaves.  Snow in tomorrow’s forecast.  I made chicken wire cages for the boxwoods that aren’t quite hardy enough for an Illinois winter.  Then packed the cages with leaves.  Packed myself with a slice of pecan pie. Then a really good nap ensued. after this cup of coffee I’ll be ready for round two of yard cleanup.

BTY

Good Saturday afternoon, Masters!

Happy Birthday, Bio!

Beautiful day here in the Albany area.  While it started off around 15 F when I arose at 5:00, it's climbed to 40 now and it's a blue sky, sunshine, no wind kinda day.  If I were still a runner it would be wonderful to be out there in it.

Instead I got over to the pool when the doors opened at the Y at 7:00 AM.   They have lanes open for lap swimming on Saturday mornings until the lessons start at 8:15, so it's a pretty short window of opportunity.  I was swimming at 07:06:00 and finished up at 08:13:00.  Made the most of the opportunity.  I swam 2,500 yards, still avoiding backstroke.   The main set today was 10 x 100 breaststroke at an easy pace of 1:38 - 1:40 per 100.   I was actually aiming for 1:42 but everything was feeling good and easy right around 50 seconds per 50 yards so I went with it.  It remained an Easy Workout through to the end, which is what I was really aiming for.  In fact, when it looked like I might run out of time, due to not being able to do Math due to O2 depletion, I switched the recovery interval from 1:20.0 to 1:00 even.  The exertion level stayed the same to swim the same 1:40's, so I think that tells me something right there.  I should stick with 3:00 intervals for the hard 10 x 100 breaststroke workouts where I'm aiming for 1:32/100, but I can shorten the intervals to 2:40 when it's an easy day.

Jay - get well quick!

Christmas shopping season has begun.  My daughter just came by to drop off her husband's present so we can hide it here until wrapped around Christmas Eve.

Well, I have all sorts of dishes to wash before DW gets home from her short trip to her Mom's, and I have no idea who is making all these dirty dishes.  She's only been gone since yesterday morning, and I was gone all day yesterday, too.   I suppose it's the cats and the dogs.

BTY

thanks sub//.........she is a pretty girl, but she also has my sense of humour......

KSA//.......that picture reminded me why we all have skin-cancers,

I don't think I wore a hat til the late 80's

=========

........30-min StairClimber.......no hat

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Beautiful cold day here-30’s and sunny. Unlike BTY reminds me of when I skied and these bluebird days were treasured. 
                              Several walks today, indoor cycling and weights.

Jay- sorry about the embolus. Probably because you couldn’t get up and move on that long flight. I’ve been on Eliquis since I was diagnosed with Afib. Don’t rush to get off it until your doc says so.. I wasn’t happy to get on it but I feel now that it’s preventing a stroke. Fortunately you’re not in the same boat.

Tom, I’ve worn a hat for years, luckily.

That was actually a cloudy February day, but, yeah, we wore those little cycling caps which didn’t do a thing for sun protection.  And there was usually lots of sun in Dallas!