Masters Running

Final June Friday, 6.28.13 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Where did this month go???

Interesting posts and subject matter yesterday: Packing & moving; baseball games; trailers; heat, rain, and all kinds of weather; neighbors and kids; teeth; and, oh yeah, running...

Phinal photos:

This is after I've turned back inland, on my way home. This area is very pleasant during daylight, but in the predawn on days with no moonlight, it is incredibly dark - there are no street lights on this stretch, and very few homes that keep outside lights on. If there is no predawn traffic, I follow the center yellow line just so I can see where I'm going.

This is the final, curvy stretch to home. A downhill finish is always nice, but I alternate direction almost daily, so it is an uphill start on the other days.

And this is home. The rhodos in front of the house and the irisis in front/left have flowered and are waiting for the dang gardener to cut them back, and the daylillies up front are coming along. The heathers & heaths that fill most of the center have either already flowered, or will flower in mid-late summer and into the fall, but still have nice color/texture even when flowerless.

I slept in (till 5!) this morning after a long and very busy work day yesterday. Of course, I feel guilty about skipping my workout today, and so will have to try to add a little to tomorrow's workout.

Good luck to this weekend's racer:

06/30 Ileneforward - Pasadena Half Marathon, Pasadena CA

No pressure Ilene, but we'll all be watching you, and are all counting on you.  Big grin

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

mmmph mrmph merouff mef - secret message to the chalk toothed bridge player. (It means I hope the dental visit wasn't too painful).

Good luck Ilene - how close are you to USC (exposition park)?  I should be headed that way in mid August.

I ran 5 this morning while watching Poseidon in the cardio cinema.  The AC wasn't working, so it was almost as bad as running outside.  Thank goodness for the overhead fans.  Then it was time for spin class.  I created a swamp under my bike.  And even the women who don't normally "glow" were leaving puddles.  I like it!

Have a great weekend all.  Just think of me while you are sleeping in your comfy beds on Sunday. http://www.onerunforboston.org/stage.asp?id=350

Dave59

Run Ileneforward Run!

Just a few (3) miles this morning in the cooler but still soupy air.

Software install went in last night with only minor glitches that I was able to overcome.  Watching and tweaking things today.  Really looking forward to the weekend, and then a short workweek of only 3 days next week.  All the arbitrary deadlines imposed by addle-brained account executives are finished.  Let the bananas dance.

King of PhotoShop

More great pics from Jay.  How I love that countryside.  Reminds me of old Cornwall, NY where I grew up.

Since my RP is in FL on vacation for 7 weeks, I have been running with new partners almost every day, and today was with a speedy young gal (1:23 Half this year), who teaches journalism in high school.  Like most people she has to slow way down to accommodate me but we had a great time.   5.5 miles, half on the dirt track and half on the hard surface.   Spareribs

Henrun

Love Jay's photos. I lived and worked in that area for 25 years and those were my running routes. I still get up there to bike and run.

been struggling with my ITB and back lately. Had another 3 accupuncture treatments and there is some improvement. Back pain gone. Went out for a 2 mile walk/jog yesterday and felt good. Will try it again this afternoon.

GO ILENE- hope part of it is around the Rose Bowl and through 'Old Town'.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope you pay the gardener well, Jay.

Extra day in NJ because things aren't going smoothly. I want Dave's success rate. No RR yet due to total lack of ambition at night. Sneaking in now and SLOwly phone typing.

Love the Rose Bowl-have seen several UCLA games there. Have a great run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

..gOOD rACING iLENE/////////..................Cran-Bare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpp5LEEaj0

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Lovely pics, Jay!

This being my short work day, and with a 2-hour dental appointment scheduled, I opted to work my half-day from home.  The appointment went okay, not too much pain, really, but then, the Novocain still hasn't worn off entirely.  In a few minutes it will be time to pick up DD from her golf league, come back to work some more and then take her to her 4pm softball practice, then at 6pm DH and I are going to an outdoor concert with friends.

2.8 easy-paced miles for me this morning, followed by 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

I'm running a local 5k in the morning.  Having done almost no speedwork this year, I don't have high expectations, but it's very close to home, hard to resist.  Then DD has two tournament softball games tomorrow, and one or two on Sunday.  I love watching her play, but am at the point where I am ready for a little break in the action.  At least this tournament is not too far a drive, so we can come home in between games to relax a bit.

Good luck to the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Nice photos Jay. Looks like a lovely place to explore on foot.

Bummer about the dental work Holly. Good luck on that 5k.

Ran 7 easy at lunch. Achilles is getting better each day. I just have to be patient. More golf with kids tonight. They have really been bitten by the bug. DD is even asking about trying to play on the golf team. Fun to watch them enjoy the game. Makes me glad my dad introduced it to me when I was really young. I sure do miss getting in 9 or 18 with him.

Alright I need to vent a little. I was browsing for a 5k to run with the kids. I ran into this race called Mean Streets 5k. Obstacle course type race once I read the description. Not really what I wanted but what blew me away was the $70 price tag. $70 for a 5k. I just registered for a marathon and it was $25. Wow. I thought running was supposed to be a more cost effective sport. Vent off.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Go ilenforward go!!!

Good luck to Holly tomorrow!

Great pictures and lovely garden, Jay!

Well, we are finally home after a whirlwind travel to Seattle to pick up our son, then to Portland to attend my DH's grandma's funeral. Yesterday  we attended the funeral, I cooked the post funeral dinner for the family (thanks twocat for assisting me with the menu. It really helped so much to have a food expert's suggestions to plan the dinner for 40 in such a short notice!) After we fed everyone, we drove back to Seattle last night.

This morning I was going to sleep in, but when I saw the sun shining over the lake, I decided to get up and go for a run! It was a magnificent run in all fronts!Wink, except the crazy bikers going 20+ miles per hours (I am guessing here)!. They sure showed no respect for runner! There was a point that one guy was coming so fast toward's me that I had to hug some blackberry branches to avoid being hit!.

Here is a view of downtown Seattle from the distance.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Go ilenforward go!!!

Good luck to Holly tomorrow

.ETA - fussy too.

hey, I remember running around Lake Union once with someone who was training for the Portland Marathon

In fact, it looks a lot like where someone went swimming last week..

ps - ask dave about averting the bikes when it's dark out.

pps - nice cooking

Go ilenforward go!!!

Good luck to Holly tomorrow!

. . . . . . . . . .

Here is a view of downtown Seattle from the distance

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I just registered for a marathon and it was $25.

Which one?

Mariposai - cooking for 40 people would terrify me, I think.  You are amazing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Which one?

Mariposai - cooking for 40 people would terrify me, I think.  You are amazing!

This one. https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=8489

Its designed as a relay but I've run it solo before.

and cooking for 40 would freak me out too. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/