Masters Running

Thursday -- Anyone going to start it? (Read 527 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Everyone :-)

Hey CR - Norm.....are you running the Geist 1/2 Marathon this Saturday ? I noticed in the race thread you have the race being on the 28th, not the 21st. I haven't registered yet and online registration is closed, but the RD - Jenny Dill - is working on getting me in because they haven't quite reached 6000 runners yet - their limit.   

http://www.geisthalf.com/participant.asp

My periodontist cleared me to run this today, and was wondering if you were still running this race. Believe it or not, I've only ran one 1/2 Marathon ever (other than in a 1/2 Ironman Tri) and that was on a dare when I was only a cyclist - not a runner (but still ran a respectful 1:42 ish) I wanna try for a good  PR, and it looks like it would be a good course for that, but it's suppose to get pretty warm Sat. Have you ran this before ? Cool too, with it being a point to point around a big reservoir.

Let me know.....I'll check back

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Crap!  I just read the whole dang world is going to be destroyed by fire, this Saturday!  I guess I'll do my 20 miler in the morning... 

Yeah, I've got a hair appointment Saturday afternoon... that better not get preempted!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Crap!  I just read the whole dang world is going to be destroyed by fire, this Saturday!  I guess I'll do my 20 miler in the morning... 

Oh darn it, that is this Saturday?  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/dabegley/StoryofMyLife.jpg

Rain this morning made my decision for me to drive to the gym instead of running there.  I ended up with 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights.  I decided to give my legs a change from running.

It's been about 6 months since I joined the gym.  Body fat has dropped from 29.8 to 23.6.  That brings me down into the "acceptable range" but still a ways to get to "fit".  Better than nothing.

Big grin

......GREAT cartoon dave//////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Love the cartoon, Dave! And congrats on the weight loss!! One step at a time, and going in the right direction, that's all that matters.

TammyinGP

OM, it's like 3:30 there. heard anything yet??

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OM, it's like 3:30 there. heard anything yet??

Nope. Seems like you're more anxious than I am. What's up with that? Wink

Thanks for asking though. You guys will be the first to know.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Speaking of new jobs ..... Perch, have you heard anything on the Michigan job yet?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

This is the time of day when I start daydreaming about my run if I haven't done it yet.  Good reason to do lunch runs!  Will run 5 miles easy after work.

I have a strange question.  I noticed on my bank's web site when I logged in that my former coach, Brooke, has just deposited $100.  That's what I paid her monthly.  I haven't heard from her so what should I do?  (aside from spending it in Vegas in December)

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

C-R

Hi Everyone :-)

Hey CR - Norm.....are you running the Geist 1/2 Marathon this Saturday ? I noticed in the race thread you have the race being on the 28th, not the 21st. I haven't registered yet and online registration is closed, but the RD - Jenny Dill - is working on getting me in because they haven't quite reached 6000 runners yet - their limit.   

http://www.geisthalf.com/participant.asp

My periodontist cleared me to run this today, and was wondering if you were still running this race. Believe it or not, I've only ran one 1/2 Marathon ever (other than in a 1/2 Ironman Tri) and that was on a dare when I was only a cyclist - not a runner (but still ran a respectful 1:42 ish) I wanna try for a good  PR, and it looks like it would be a good course for that, but it's suppose to get pretty warm Sat. Have you ran this before ? Cool too, with it being a point to point around a big reservoir.

Let me know.....I'll check back

Tim

Timbo - good to see you posting. Sorry about the pain issues. That blows. I'm not running Geist this year (I actually skipped Boston and the Mini too) due to the illness and subsequent passing of my father I didn't even register. And then I tweaked a hammy. I ran 4 today and felt like 10. So I am setting my sight on the fall. If you do want to run a 1/2, the Carmel HM and Marathon are in a few weeks right down the street from my house. I am registered for the full. Hahahahaha. I did that when I was actually in condition but I will likely try to run it anyway. Good to be stubborn German/Irish.

Drop me a line on the Carmel HM. I could just run the half with you and save myself the pain of a full on no training.

MTA - oh and what's the deal about the world ending Saturday. I thought the Mayan's meant last year. Holy shaking earth Batman. I need to get a plan for this.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mustang sally

Bad faerie

OM - two things:

First, do you have a 205/305?  My 305 died about a year ago when its top came a little loose without telling me and I submerged it the lake while I was cooling off after a run.  Turns out that as they're dying, their battery packs sometimes start to swell and pop the shell open.  You might have a look at that as you're refastening.  Don't trust it around water any more.

Second, I love that idea of telling yourself you're stronger than you are:  I do much the same thing when the going gets tough.

I tell myself, "I shall run as if I'm [fast | strong | coordinated | not afraid of this hill]."

And then I do.

Great little head-game.  It's to the point that the phrase "as if" is enough to key better running.  Which really messes with DD13's head because I tell her something Wise and Profound and she says, "as if" and I smile and that just baffles the kid.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hey OM... we're both waiting for a call today!  Sounds ideal for you!

MS... right on!  That's why I have this quote on my profile:

"The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

4 miles at 8:18 this morning

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

I'm not following you, Opie. . . . brooke deposited $100 in your account? Confused or did you pay her in advance for so many months worth of training and because you aren't using her now, she's refunding some?

if you are really in a quandry about it, just send it to me. I'll tell ya what to do for $100 Joking

Tammy

No I didn't pay her in advance.  Maybe she feels guilty because I got injured twice.  My bank had been sending the payments, like paying any other bill online.  Maybe I should call them & see what's up.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me