Masters Running

Thursday August 21 back to school runs (Read 450 times)

Late posting for me, but at least I get to see more runs ahead of me here. Sounds like a lot of people getting ready for those big fall distance runs. 4.1 miles today on the rail-trail with a friend at just a slightly sub-10 pace, which was actually my best pace of 2008, if you can believe it. Onward and upward, folks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Maine: How's Joel? DickyG
      DickyG - Joe is doing much better...not 100% but he is better. He made it to the lake on Sunday with us and was even able to eat which has been a problem for him...mostly because his taste buds were screwed up because of the medication they had him on. He has even gotten out and done a few miles very slow and easy but it is a start. I will let him know that you asked about him...thanks a bunch! Well no run for me today....an unplanned chance to play in a best ball golf tournament at 1:00 this afternoon changed my plans. I love to golf although I'm really not very consistent, I just don't have the time to play enough, but I sure do enjoy it and what they say is true..."a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work" right? Wink
        Last night---Erie Sea Wolves 5 – New Britain Rock Cats 2 in 10 innings---- on to PA later today. I saw a college classmate I hadn't seen for 23 years at the game last night. Totally cool. 11.5-mile dynamic run at 7 AM 1x8 (60) 2x5 (60) 4x3 (45) 5x2 (30) 4x2 (15) 5x1 (10) 2x2(30) 1x3 (60 ) on another spectacular morning in Massachusetts. 48F when I started off (wanted gloves almost!) and almost at 60F by the finish. I felt light and relaxed as I got into this and while it's not exactly a wave run, you never slow way down during the rest intervals---it's a fluid workout and you are looking at the times so much it's all over before you know it. Whole deal in 8:01ish pace. The first number is the number of speed-ups and the next number equals minutes of steady pace running. The number in parentheses equals the seconds at all out pace. Coach used to write all this on pieces of athletic tape and we would hit the roads with our wrists all adorned. She sent me a set for this summer and I laughed when I opened the envelope. It's low-tech, but it works! Holly----be CAREFUL----Not trying to scold….I just know how unhappy you were when you couldn’t run. Unless you plan on doing a really hilly race sometime soon, I would stay away from hill repeats. Happy first day of school! Have fun in the Adirondacks Dark Horse and Dark Colt. We had two weeks in Keene Valley and Lake Placid in July and I am still grinning from that. Nonoruns---I am glad you slept! Be good to yourself. Lots of good runs and workouts today (as well as resting---Tramps!) CNYrunner/Karin

King of PhotoShop

Even a slow jog down the hill is not good for a leg injury. I am in the camp that says that hill repeats right now are not a good idea. Jeanne, when you have PF, you should feel a twinge when you begin to return the trailing leg. By that I mean, if it's on your left side, when your left leg is back and you start to bring it forward, the piriformis muscle helps with that movement and you will feel a slight pain then. You will also become scared when you see a small curb of about 5" and you know you have to use the affected leg to hop onto it. Is that where you are feeling pain? No walk for me. I had a bad day yesterday and will use today to determine if I have been doing too much, or if it is because I discontinued one of my medications. I'll know by this afternoon. Well, I did stay up for the race "walk" last night and I am very confused. I hope Coastwalker will comment. They said the rule is that having both feet off the ground and it is visible with the "naked eye" then it's an infraction. I didn't need any slow-mo camera to tell me that those women had their feet off the ground. Looked like a lot of running to me. Jay, what was your take? Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ribs, did they ever mention at what pace they were walk racing? I bet a lot faster than I, or most would think.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

Tim, about 7 minutes per mile. Spareribs
                Spareribs - that's it. I went up a couple of curbs this morning and bringing my right leg up was painful. I've also noticed that I can't sit at my desk for long periods of time without pain in that leg - I have to get up and walk around to stretch it out. How to heal? Please - don't say stop running! I just went through that and thought everything was okay. I'd also like to e-mail you about my triple bypass friend. I'm worried about him, and I suggested he get in touch with you, but he's not there yet. Still trying to work through it and isn't interested in sharing his thoughts/worries yet. He just looked down in the dumps when I saw him yesterday... Roch - how's retirement? Finding ways to keep busy? Wink Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, listen to Perch. Don't join me in the Stupid Club.
                  Big grin In my defense, I will say that hills (taken slowly) do not seem to aggravate this deep groin injury at all, either going up or going down. But speed, even a little bit, is the one I have to be careful with. Even MP seems to be pushing it. But I am watching it closely. Tomorrow is a rest day, Saturday x-training, so I'll have plenty of rest before my Sunday run. Thanks for caring, though. Smile Sue – running with bronchitis? Be careful with that. Jlynne – I've been thinking how well you were progressing lately, but now you are worrying me - be careful. Roch – nice progressing for you lately, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne I hate to say this but PF can take a very long time to heal. Be really careful. There is a web page The Injured Runner that I highly recommend for advice. Holly if you feel strong enough to run hills I do not see why not. Just be careful to pay attention to any during or post run twinges. Also, I suspect prophylactic icing is likely a good idea you might also consider ibuprofen to boot. I ice and take ibuprofen whenever I even think my Achilles tendon may have any chance of acting up, no matter how remote. So far so good. On the other hand, I am certainly one of the more aggressive people here when it comes to pushing a training schedule so it all depends on which side of the cautionary line you want to be on. Hopefully I can get back to the forum later to reply more extensively. This morning it was 6 miles with some friends along our beach route. Great morning for it. Sunny and mild. Add in some wonderful conversation and before you knew it the whole thing was over. My DW is home today studying for one of these ridiculous certification exams she needs to take for a new aspect of her job. I had to take one once. Take my word for it, if somebody in her position needs to know something and they did not prior to studying for an exam like this you really do not want to do business with them! Anyway, she ran 4 miles on her own last night after returning from a business trip. I might try to convince her to do another 4 this afternoon and offer to go with her as a bribe. Yes, to all the wise guys out there, she would view that as a benefit and not a cost! Tongue

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I hope your kids enjoy their new schools and make some new friends quickly! Mary, I hope you do OK as an empty-nester! My DD is a HS junior this year, and I'm not ready for her to go away to college in two years... Nono, I'm glad to hear you got out for a peaceful sunrise run with Renee. I'm sure that will help you in this difficult time. WRFB, you're just showing off with that "accidental" progression run! Nice job. TimBo, nice running for a night you didn't feel like it, and it was 86 degrees! Sounds like that little girl kept you going! I hope you see her regularly at the track. Dark Horse, have fun in the adirondacks. You have a place up there? I'm so jealous! Karin, that dynamic run sounds complicated but fun. Do you still write it on tape on your arm, or program a garmin? Spareribs, hope you have a better day today, and get your meds balanced correctly. After my dad had his heart valve replaced a couple of years ago, he had some issues with his meds and even ended up back in the hospital about two days after he got home, till his doctor got things adjusted better. A lot of you seem to think Holly shouldn't be running hills yet - but she lives on a hill. And she says hills don't hurt but speed does. Are you suggesting she drive or bike to somewhere flatter to run? I can see not doing hard hill workouts yet, but what about easy hill running/walking? Like Tim, I didn't feel like doing my run last night, either. I had changed into running clothes right before leaving work, and I drove to a trailhead in the state park near home. But when I got there I had no motivation to run. I told myself to just get started, and decided to do just 3 miles. All the trails in this park are hilly, and I usually start at the bottom and run uphill first so I can enjoy the downhill back to the car as a reward. So I ran/walked uphill for 1.5 miles, and felt pretty good. Coming back down was wonderful. This particular trail is through a meadow and is mostly sandy, with hardly any rocky sections (unlike the trail I did the day before.) Total 3 miles in 36 minutes. Glad I went.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

bike, that was a neat story about the little girl. Sarge, good job in the 5K. roch, it's great to hear you got a nice run in this morning. Holly, I think congratulations are in order for the hill repeats as long as there are no bad after effects. Nice long runs for enke (with speedwork), perch, WRFB, bike (after 13 hour day and with speedwork), and CNY. This would normally be a non running day but I didn't want to run tomorrow, the day before the Crim. I also didn't want to take off both today and tomorrow, so I did a token 2 miles this morning. It was about 50 and calm and took a little over 19 minutes for a 9:37 pace. After that, I went for a 3 mile walk with my wife. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                        evanflein

2nd day of school for my boys, and they weren't happy about it. I can see why they start mid-week... gives them a chance to ease into it. We did some shopping for school supplies last night after my run, then came home and made dinner so it was a late night. I think we all need to get to bed earlier tonight. Parent meeting for the soccer team tonight... DS1's team. The coach resigned, said he felt he'd taken the boys as far as he could (works for me, I was not happy with him at all!). Tryouts are early next month, and all the parents are concerned that the team is just not going to make it. I know DS1 doesn't want to try out for next year; I think he's pretty much done with comp soccer. He might play rec... I'll go to the meeting because I want to hear what the other parents think and what the plan might be. It's hard to see good teams fizzle out but it's such a commitment, and these kids get busy as they get older, and their interests sometimes move on to other things. DS1 wants to work and have more unstructured time next summer. This year his days and evenings were full 6 days a week and he didn't care for that. Legs feel pretty good after yesterday's climb. I brought my stuff to work for a lunchtime run, but will take it easy. 5k trail race on Saturday, and then nothing till the Equinox... Nothing but hill work, that is. Hey Twocat, thanks for posting that link on the Injured Runner. Good stuff there. And I was going to post the profile of the trail I ran last night so you'd get a good chuckle out of it, but I think I'll wait till I post my race report. Wink Have fun Dark Horse. Good thing to spend time with Dark Colt. How's Bucking Bronco doing these days?
                            Tom, good luck at the Crim. Holly - glad you are slowly healing...try to remember how depressing it was not to run and be cautious if you get new twinges. First day of school is always interesting. Usually my son gets extremely anxious, to the point of tears and my daughter will simply refuse to go until I make a series of desperate threats. Roll eyes 7am, 56F, windy, scattered sprinkles. IRC. Had to wear my rainjacket for the first mile, haven't done that in a long time! Most enjoyable 6 mile run. Garmin says I was slow as molasses (10:50 pace) but it's how I felt that matters most, and I felt way sproinkier than I expected. 16 miler plannned for tomorrow and I need to get up at 4:30 for that one....holy carp, I've never gotten up that early to run!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

How's Bucking Bronco doing these days?
                              Erika, Bucking Bronco is OK, but it is not easy for me to find ways to spend time with him. Usually he doesn't like going on trips. He plays no sports of any kind--has no coordination, poor kid--and doesn't even like to walk. He will hike occasionally, but the physical stress usually sends him ballistic at some point, and then he starts screaming at me--no fun for either of us. He won't even watch videos with the family--prefers to play esoteric games online. We were at a pool party last weekend, and he wouldn't get in the pool. He is an Asperger's Syndrome kid with narrow interests. Dark Colt is more biddable, more resilient, has a wider range of interests, likes to get out of the house and go places. Although Dark Colt is younger, he is the one who needs to have a grasp of the maintenance and other issues related to Roakdale, my Adirondack estate (five-bedroom house on half a square mile). So Dark Colt is the kid I need to bring, and Bucking Bronco wouldn't be interested anyway. I need to work harder on finding things to do with Bucking Bronco. OK, much harder. Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

#artbydmcbride

I bet he would be good at chess. Ran last night with the running club. My legs felt like lead. Luckily I plan to just jog my race tonight. Roll eyes

Runners run