Masters Running

Need Daily for Wednesday! Are we giving up Running Ahead for Lent? (Read 43 times)

tw -- Pickles is boss -- do what she says.

...TrueDat

==========

...actually

I was thinking about GivingUp Cigars and Beets for Lent.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Aamos, good job on starting the daily! I know it's so intimidating when Jay doesn't start us off, but way to step up to the plate!

My 20 miles "on a workday" is because I work part time.    I don't know how I managed when I worked full time.

Dave, I hope skiing was fun!  I haven't been skiing this year yet - I really should go, since we have a lot of snow. Maybe after my next ultra that I'm training for....

Erika - yay for new shoes!  I have the  NB1400's - they're just okay.  Not my favorites.  But speaking of new shoes, I finally decided to see what all the fuss is with Hokas, and got a pair of the Stinson trail shoes.  I wore them on my 20 miler yesterday.  They do feel like pillows on my feet - squishy and comfortable. But heavier than the minimalist shoes I'm used to, so not sure whether the tradeoff is worth it.  The jury is still out.

Enke, I hope your knee behaves itself!  And a muffin won't kill you - hope you enjoyed every  bite!  Have fun with DD tonight.  Before you know it she'll be grown up and moved out.

Tomwhite - good of you to give up cigars and beets!    Sounds like a real hardship.  I think I'll give up smoking pot.

I ran 6 miles today, and had to drive out to make tire tracks to run in again.  Beautiful day, even though the footing was kind of bad. The fuzzy ones came with me for the first lap (3 miles).   Tazzie just can't go much farther than that anymore.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

New skirt in town

Ribs, the problem with your writing style is that you don't use enough emoticons.   might have been a good one to try.

Or this one: 

I screwed up my training plan.  I wrote down my DS' swim meet for the wrong weekend, and I thought it was this coming weekend.  So, I had planned on running lots of midweek miles this week.  I got 10 in on Monday, 8.7 on Tues, and 8.2 today.  Then I realized I had Saturday free in the morning for a long run and that it is NEXT week that I need to get a shorter run in.  So, I can't bear to give up my tempo run tomorrow, and I love to go into my long runs "pre-fatigued" by a 6-8 mile run the day before.  So, it looks like a 60+ mile training week is in the cards this week even though I hadn't planned it.

I'll rest next week.

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

had a body plant yesterday at mile 8, so today went out for a 2 miler followed by a jacuzzi soak which helped the body but not the bruised ego.  my DD said watch out for the ice, but there was no ice, no moon, just feet - what could be more dangerous?

yeah to time change and possible mid-40 day over the w/e

marj

Ouchie Marj - hope you're not too sore!!

So looking forward to a mid-40 day!!  I'm meeting a friend at NWH Sat morning and running on the course - can't wait!!

MVS track tonight ....our coach had to have a sub because he had ---- guess what ---- the stomach bug!!  These darn illnesses keep knocking us on our butts this winter.  Seems to be a trend of people getting that nasty cold/cough then a week or so later that even nastier stomach bug!!  I will be glad to get rid of these germs!!

Oh ya - track -- we did 5x1000 which were all supposed to be at about 10k pace, problem was where we ran them the 2nd and 4th were tougher coming up the hill that we went down on for 1, 3, and 5 --- still managed a decent pace considering my 20 miler Sat followed by the you know what ......total miles with warm-up and cool-down 7.2 so happy to have a good run in!!

Still no Jay today???

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Where is Jay?

No running for me today.  I revised my schedule so I could go have ashes wiped on my forehead.  Tempo run tomorrow!

I'm thinking about starting to smoke pot for Lent...

Spareribs just more evidence that too many people are looking to find things to get mad about.

It is late here so I am afraid that is it for shout outs. I got up coastwalker time, well close, to do my long run today. All in 19 miles and done in time to get to work on time.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I did get out for.....drumroll...... 1 mile!

Knee is still achy.  I should have listened to it last week when it started to bark, but I pushed ahead and put in 30 miles for that week, up from 15-20 mpw.

I figure a mile is better than none.  And it was 57F - light drizzle, so I wore shorts and someone thought I was crazy.....  Heck, that is WARM!

DD and I made guacamole - we love it.  DS is allergic to avocados unfortunately (and bananas, cantaloupe, pineapple and pretty much all tropical fruits, what a drag!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

NHLA

Got rear ended in the car. Back hurts really bad. Walked four miles with Sandy. Still hurts.

The man that hit me was suffering from old age. He needs to stop driving.

Mariposai

NHLA, sorry about your car accident episode.

Twocat, good job on that 19 miler! Was it cold? .

3 miles at tempo before winter wellness tonight. Then I came home to get ready to register for the Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, which opened registration for 200 runners tonight at 7pm. In less than 3', which is the time it took me to enter all my data in the registration form the race was closed. . I do have an entree fee coupon since we always volunteer at this race, so I can get in, it is just that now I have to spend almost $50 extra to enter. I tell ya, marathon running is getting more expensive every year.

Time for some Indian food with great naan I was able to bring with me from Canada last weekend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

NHLA recover quick

a couple days ago Ribs posted

"Nice negative splits Amy.  I recall you did a marathon some years ago in negative splits. It's hard to do."

It is indeed hard to do, but Amy often runs the second half faster then the first!  Just look at the 2007 Boston when I lost a bet.  And in the 2004 Seattle she flew on the last half, and that is the 1/2 that has hills.  Though Amy is too humble to say anything about the above and she will probably hate me for posting it.

In 35 marathons I think I did it exactly once

On the other hand,  as I recall SRlopez posted a few years ago (and he is someone I have never known to "jog" a marathon, even when running 50+ a year, doing a quadzilla,  Maniac term for 4 marathons in 4 days.  Each split, the second half was faster than the first.  each marathon was faster than the day before!

evanflein

NHLA, sorry about the rear-ending. And yes, sometimes it's hard to give up the keys but someone needs to press the issue with him (her?). Might be the legal system.

Carolyn, I tried my new shoes tonight. I gotta say, those New Balance 1400's really worked for me. I think I've found a new shoe to love! (Enke, take note, I think you'd like these.) The Brooks Pureconnect 2 though, hmmm, not sure on those. So... a shoe report:

We got home around 6. I got the stew ready (dredged and browned the meat, sauteed the onion and carrots (that DH cut up), got everything all mixed together and in the oven) and got down to the TM around 7. Ran 6 miles progressive pace style in the New Balance shoes, paying close attention to how they felt. Nice, I like them! Then, quick trip upstairs to change into the Brooks PureConnect2's. Sure felt different.... Ran 2.5 miles easy, and walked a third of a mile to cool down. Running felt ok, but the walking felt weird. While running, I was reminded of feeling like running in a trench, where the outside walls are higher than the middle. This might mean the sole is "steering" my foot where it doesn't want to go? Odd, since this shoe is billed as being so minimalist, it felt more "structured" on the outside than the NB, and totally different from the Asics I've been wearing.

So... jury still out on the Brooks. I think I need to do a run in them first without a 6 mile run beforehand. Might make a difference.