Masters Running

OT: Interview advise (Read 404 times)

SteveP

Thursday AM, I have a job interview. The RunningAhead community holds a special place in my heart. 

What are so do's or don'ts for the interview?

Thanks, 

SteveP

SteveP

TammyinGP

don't wear a Batman shirt to the interview. . . unless this a job interview with Batman. Then he might think that's cool. Or he might think it's stalker-ish and creepy.

nevermind me... I guess I have nothing of value to add to this.

and I'm assuming you wanted advice with value,right?

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Be yourself. Really. After all, everyone else is taken. Smile

SteveP

So, no Batman tights. What about running ones?

DD#1 and DD#3 said not to be myself.

SteveP

Dave59

Last person I interviewed (and recommended) turned out to be a real dud.  I'm afraid to do it anymore.  In my line of work, there is too much emphasis on existing skills and not on the person.  Give me someone bright in math, an ability to learn, follow directions and I would beg the person to start working. 

If there is a way to show you work good with people and are a good learner (without sounding like a phoney suck-up) it would go a long way.

Mike E

MM #5615

Boy...being one who just received a no after my first and only interview in over twenty years, I'm not sure you would want my advice.  But over those twenty years, I have conducted many interviews and I would say that OM is correct--you have to be yourself.  But I can share with you some of the things that I learned, too.

Look interested.  Lean forward in your chair and look at the person speaking. 

Be thoughtful with your answers.  I, actually, liked it when somebody thought about the question that I had just asked rather than giving me some rehearsed answer. 

Don't lean back in your chair, put your hands behind your head, and act as if you're the one giving the interview--I had a guy do that once, and I mentally scratched him right off my list.

Have some questions ready to ask, too.  BUt don't ask about hours or pay or other compensation.  They'll get to that.

Do your research on the company.  Know who they are but don't go out of your way to try to impress them with your knowledge of the company.  Our company's name was Rottlund Homes.  It got that name from the two guys that started it--Bud Rotter and Roy Lund.  Bud's brother David joined the company a couple years later and Roy left the company about 20 years ago.  But I would have people come in and talk about how the Rottlund brothers had been in buisiness since 1973.  So, if you say something about the company--make sure you know the facts.

Another person and I were giving an interview, one time, and the guy made the comment, "Wherever I'm at, I can pretty much guarantee you that I am the smartest person in the room."  Don't say that.  He didn't get the job and she and I still talk about what a dumb thing that was to say.

Don't worry about being nervous.  Everybody is nervous in an interview.  Including the people giving the interview.

Okay--I guess that's about all I have.  If I think of any more, I'll let you know.  Oh--and Tammy is right, too--leave the Batman cape at home.  I suppose you could wear it underneath your suit, though...

BeeRunB

The person or people interviewing you are coming into YOUR world. 

Treat them like honored guests!

SteveP

Thanks for the tips Mike. Even after being at a place for 14 years, I told people I was in training.

The person or people interviewing you are coming into YOUR world. 

Treat them like honored guests!

Thank You!

SteveP

I am the last person that should give advice, but,

Be enthusiastic.  Sometimes it is hard to show that if you are really nervous, but it counts for a lot (or so I'm told)

Don't diss your old boss or company, no matter how shitty the situation was.

If you still have a little ponytail from the trends set in the 1990's, do cut it off.  Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Steve, send a PM to Spareribs.  I'm sure he'd be happy to call and talk to you.  He's a Pro in this stuff.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP

Thanks Enke. What I say about some one else's character reveals more about mine.

Steve, send a PM to Spareribs.  I'm sure he'd be happy to call and talk to you.  He's a Pro in this stuff.

Bill

Ribs is rock solid. 

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Bring a stick

take the talking dog.

bring home ice cream.

use spell check

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Jlynne

Know a lot about the company. It's history, owner(s) etc. I think that's a big +1 when you seem interested enough to do a little research. You are a great person with a lot to offer Steve. As for the Batman shirt, I might save that for your first 90 day review after you land the job and wow them with your skills Smile

Good luck!!!

SteveP

This thread started off to be a bit silly, however, I did get a good deal of insight. It went well. Thank you every one.

SteveP

#artbydmcbride

I always ask questions when I interview folks like: 'Tell me about a time when you showed initiative on the job'  or 'Describe one of your most difficult projects, and what your role was"

Sometimes when you are nervous your mind can go blank (ask me how I know THAT Big grin )  so it may be helpful beforehand to recall incidents and details that showcase your experience and abilities.

Runners run