Masters Running

Monday, May 4th (Read 37 times)

mrrun

Just starting a Monday thread with no write-ups or running.  Off to kayaking in an hour.

Hope everyone had an awesome w/e

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' Marj & everyone!

Today is Star Wars Day at Fenway Park in Boston. Why today? "May the 4th be with you..." (No, I didn't make that up.)

Today should be a gorgeous day for kayaking, Marj. Where are you putting in? The 75th gala sound like it was greta, Marj! I saw the Greenway installation on the news this morning; it must be very impressive up close.

I hope the race went well for you yesterday, Tet, bear feet or not.

Nice bike ride, TW. Also, that was a great look back - thanks for the link. Funny (and scary) stuff.

Good for you and DW for taking CPR training, Twocat. As I'm sure you know, it isn't just for old people.

Congrats on your Derby choice, Ribs, misspelled or not. Congrats also to the Saint for getting all that yard work done, along with some good weekend running.

I'm glad your rehab plan is working, Roch, and that your running is coming along very well. Congrats to you and DW on your first DQ of the season.

Nice running here and abroad, CNY. Congrats to Granny on her Derby pick. Did she and Ribs conspire?

Holly, don't over-analyze that race photo. Just leave it that it is a great shot of a goddess running.

Busy weekend with lots of good running, Lame. I'm glad you enjoyed the warmth.

Great story about the Run For Kayla, Aamos. It is great that people stayed around for that little boy to finish. I'm sure that inspired him, just as he inspired those around him.

Good luck with tomorrow's PT app't, Deeze. I hope you get a resolution to your heel pain.

Good timing on your run, Mike. Have phun with the iphone!

I didn't keep up with the Saint yesterday, but I did make several runs to the dump with trash n' stuff, cleaned out some more garden beds and filled 3 leaf bags with remaining winter stuff, brushed sand over 2 brick walks to fill voids and (hopefully) keep the weeds down, and got a few bags of beach rocks that will go in a dry creek bed, whenever I get time to dig it. I was a bit leg weary by the end of the day, so I was glad that today is a SRD.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Marj and Jay + all to come.

Busy yard work day Jay. Sounds like recovery was in order.

The boys and I had a busy day refereeing soccer games. Managed to get a little too much sun but we finished the day with all three of us calling a pretty advanced high school match. The boys did well and even the coaches remarked to me about this. That one made me feel really good.

A short recovery run this morning and then something a little more heavy this afternoon.

Have a great one.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Kick back, relax, and May the fourth be with you!

I had a terrible 4,7 mile run this morning. Biorhythms must be at a record low.

I tried to get away from work on the weekend. Drove up to Traverse City and ran a tiny little 10k. Made my goal of running it at a 9:00 pace.  Then I went to see the Sleeping Bear Dunes which were much bigger than I had imagined. One point I stopped at to look at said it 450 above Lake Michigan.  A sign warned not to try to walk down to the lake because it would take 2 hours to get back up and there is a rescue fee if it comes to that.  I saw 2 guys walk down but I didn't stick around to see how long it took them to get back.  Then I did a little drive down the western side of the state.

But I am back at work today and still kind of blah about it.  Taking a break from it didn't change it I guess. Every time my email pops up a new message, my stomach gets another knot.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Geetings,

Wasn't here because I ended up with a busier weekend than anticipated. We had intended to go up to check on the camp and visit with DD and Miss Harper, the new dog. It was such a nice day, we ended up starting the full opening and got the water started up. This involved a couple of unplanned trips to the hardware store. Then we went to DD’s apartment and I built a base for some stairs so the dog could make it up on the bed. (A beagle with dachshund legs is NOT built for jumping up on a tall bed)

After all this, we were heading into Portland for dinner and the muffler pipe on DD’s car broke off. We waited for AAA to arrive and tow to a shop, as the broken pipe was facing forward, with no apparent way to even tie it up—didn’t want to get the pole vault effect if it caught on something. When the tow driver arrived, he took a look at it when he had it part way up on the truck and thought he could tie it up and allow the option to drive it home. so we ended up dropping it off at the apartment and then heading to the airport (only open car rentals on a Saturday night in Portland) to get a car to get her through until she could get hers into the shop. Ended up finally eating dinner about 10pm and getting into bed about 1:30am.

Needless to say, I did NOT get up at Jay o’clock to get out for my long run. When I did make it out at 9am, it was already over 60°F (ie 20+° higher than the last time out). But my water held out and I ended up with 11.7 miles at a slow, but fairly satisfying, pace. Especially since it included a good hilly section through a park. Where I met the largest group of greyhounds I’ve ever seen out on a group walk. Good thing there were no rabbits around.  Birthday party for GD of friends took up the afternoon.

Dave--glad you hit your goal.  And that's a LOT of sand!

Jay--you're making me feel guilty.  Much yard work to be done that I've managed to ignore so far.

TW--Boy, that thread brought back memories.  it was not long after I had started hanging out with you guys, and learning the ropes (both posting AND running).  Some names I wish would still be posting.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still morning!

well, may Something be with our holey ol' beloved sox.  They better pull up theirs and get going.

YAY, Dave ran the 10K!  Prolly should have taken a rest day today.

Well Kevin, when you go MIA next time, I hope it's for funner stuff.  [wrote that just to annoy Ribs.]

Got in 8.5 this morning.  Still enjoying low humidity here, so good so good so good!

Here's a question I posted elsewhere: what if another well-run, established marathon set up qualifier requirements ala Boston?  what about a little competition?

I'll be looking for what the PT has to say, Deez; please let us know.

I'm experimenting with a movable keyboard at work so I can stand at times.  If I keep music on (headphones) it helps as I sort of boogey in place while keyboarding.  And that's kind of happy-making.

grins and happy celebrating Star Wars geeks!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

And by the way, did anyone ever figure out who joplus was? I seem to recall she was a fast runner.

Now I'm not one to give out advice or criticize the way others handle things, but without naming any names, here's what I would do if some guy beat me in a race.

1)  Pick up his trophy for him, then run over it with the car.

2)  Go to his restaurant, give him the trophy and tell him that's the way it was when you got it.

3)  Order the most expensive meal in the restaurant, then complain loudly about the food and service.

4)  Leave without paying.

Seems some people on this forum could use some lessons on the right way to do things.

Recovery run today in the park.  The Saint jogged a slow 3, while I alternately jogged and walked with Lucy.  Spareribs

Dave, you're right that it is tremendous fun to run down those dunes; not so much oh the way up. I assume you discovered this at the official "Dune Climb" site where you can climb up from the parking lot, enjoy the view, then run (or tumble) back down to the bottom. And you can only do it in bare feet, which is also when you discover what toes are really good for!

Ribs, I noticed that too and find it odd that it was misspelled when the owner is a native Egyptian! Must have been a screwup in the original registration paperwork. Or maybe just to be different like "Dwyane Wade?"

Met a friend out at the park for a walk around the lake. Having mostly run it, I had forgotten how long it takes to walk 6 miles, and then we got rained on a bit in the last couple. But at least I feel like I got the day's exercise done.

Hope your weeks are starting out well!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

While Marj is enjoying the cool water kayaking with a friend I picked the hottest day of the year to do my longest run of the year-2 hours. Went my usual slow jog, so not that many miles but quite satisfying and I had plenty of water and Gatorade.

Many familiar names on that Cool Running site and they are missed.

Amy, the less said about the Sox the better. Guess I'll become an Astros fan..

Kevin, tough weekend, but at least you got you're run in.

Marathon Maniac #957

A sign warned not to try to walk down to the lake because it would take 2 hours to get back up and there is a rescue fee if it comes to that.  I saw 2 guys walk down but I didn't stick around to see how long it took them to get back.  

Someone was telling me about this recently, while telling the tale of their visit there.  I wonder how often they have to rescue someone?

Amy - I agree!  Any particular race you have in mind that should do it?

C-R - very cool.  My DS refereed soccer for several years.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Roch, I learned that what you suggested is exactly what happened.  They misspelled it when the horse was registered and just left it that way.

Here is the post I just put up on the rule of thumb about the cadence of180 strides per minute:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/running-rules-of-thumb-part-ii-the-ideal-stride-rate.html/

Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The butterfly clan may have churned out the most bloomin' improvement in the history of family running at Sunday’s 39th running of Don Kardong’s Bloomsday 12K in Spokane. 

Overall, at 32min/54sec, the Butterfly Bloomies not only ran more than a half-hour faster than our last Bloomsday reunion in 2012 but they drove down their times up the daunting Doomsday Hill at mile 4.5 by 2min/5sec.  Maybe I can change my name too; are there any barefoot butterflies?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .overall   
                          . . . . . . . . 2015 . .  . . . . 2012. . . . improvement
                          posie. . . 01:11:00 . . . . .1:23:50. . . 12:50
                          DS. . . . .01:07:45. .  . . . 1:11:12 . . .03:27
                          DH. . . . 01:08:06. . . . . .1:24:43. . . 16:37
                          jon . . . .01:37:05 . . . . . 1:34:34 . . . 02:31 (negative)

.. . . . . .time up Doomsday
                          . .  . . . . . 2015 . . . 2012. . . . improvement
                          DS . . . . .03:14. . . 3:58. . . . .0:44 seconds
                          DH ... . .  03:54 . . .5:41. . . . .1:47
                          Posie. .  04:38 . . .5:12 . . . . 0:34
                          jon. . . . . 05:22 . . .05:01. . . .0:21 (negative)

ps jay - wearing bear foot slippers got even more comments that regular barefoot and made the increasingly daunting 12K as much fun as ever.  A lot more realistic in both regards than the $100-plus “barefoot” shoes on the market.
                          pps amy - as you figured out, Olympic marathoner (1976) founder Don Kardong,  cites James Joyce's Ulysses as the inspiration for the name Bloomsday.
                          ppps - the ancient one can do so many things the rest of us can only dream of but 180 strides per minute would be the most impressive.  . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

I had a short list: Grandmas, Tacoma, the Pig, Portland, Oregon, Houston....what others would be good?   I haven't run in So. CA but that'd be a good location.   Someplace not in New England.  I realize it would be unpopular with some folks, but knowing runners, I would bet that it could catch on, if presented in the right spirit.  And you see how many people try to get into Boston; I'm guessing at least some might be interested in an alternative and a chance to get in on the initial venture, start a streak, etc.

Amy - I agree!  Any particular race you have in mind that should do it?

King of PhotoShop

Anyone who thinks I even dream about 180 strides per minute need only get behind me on the walking sidewalk in an airport.  I would drive anyone to drink.  "Excuse me....mind if I get by...sorry...."  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

pps amy - as you figured out, Olympic marathoner (1976) founder Don Kardong,  cites James Joyce's Ulysses as the inspiration for the name Bloomsday.

So why isn't it on June 16th?