Masters Running

Marathon Monday, 4.18.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Well, I know that Deeze is up and probably on her way already. I'll be leaving soon to try to beat the traffic (mostly volunteers and people dropping off racers) to the marathon start in Hopkinton, MA. I'm looking forward to seeing Deeze again there, as we'll both be working at the start. A friend of mine, a local race announcer, is announcing the start of the race this year, which is a real honor for him. And I also hope to see all our RA racers, and help get them, and about 25,000-30,000 other racers off to a good start. I know the energy in the start corrals will be incredible and infectious, and that I'll have a long, but terrific morning. The weather looks like it might be a little warm in mid-race, with an on-shore breeze cooling things down a bit in Boston. Unfortunately, that cooling air will be in the form of a 10-15 mph headwind for the racers, so it could also add a bit of an extra challenge to the finish.

OK. Gotta go. Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

Yay Spinach!!!! you're very zippy.

Athens may be my favorite place in Ohio. Holly sure sets the bar high in what ever she does. What an active weekend.

Speaking of leeks, TwoCat, the wild ones are just beginning to pop out.

Saturday found us at a Super Hero 5K. What a hoot.

Yesterday, Tag and I went back to explore a newly discovered but abandoned trail system. The first down hill, I ran into trees in order to maintain a controllable pace. The rest of the down hills, I simply fell. Often. I lost count. The uphills weren't as easy. At one point, I quoted Danny Glover from his "Lethal Weapon" character. I had grabbed  onto a couple of stumps to assist on the way up only to find they've dry rotted into paper like durability and I slid back down.  On the way back, I simply followed the dog to the truck. We were out an hour and 40 min.

There is a path here.

One tree had been shredded up a bit.

This up hill was a little tough.

The picture does not show it well. Something pretty large slid down the middle and towards the left.

At the very bottom of the picture, you can see where a large animal lost it's footing.

good times

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Great pictures, Steve!

Here is a shot of us in my niece's art studio (niece Samantha is on the far left, then Opa, DD Sarah, nephew Wendel, me and DS Zak)

No run for me today, just about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Ho Boston Racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

and continue the picture theme - here's the pic from yesterday for those not on facebook

...love the Pictures//...........but we need AvengerDoggie to run Boston one of these days.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...if his human wouldn't keep holding him back, maybe he would.  Of course, that human could probably go a little faster, if he wasn't always pushing a stroller and keeping track of other little superheros running with him.

TammyinGP

Great pics Steve!

I did a long run yesterday. sort of. plan was 13. At mile 10, I could start to feel my right IT band tighten up. I've had too many episodes of ITBS (although none for the last 4 yrs or so) to know exactly what this feels like. I did a run/walk for about a mile. Then walked the last bit home. definitely flared it up. I can feel the soreness on the lateral side of my right knee when I walk. Now my quandry is the 30K this Saturday. I guess I'll play it by ear. Lots of foam rolling this week and will see if I can get some deep tissue work done on my IT band.

Tammy

Dave59

Off to my left I have had my home PC tuned to the NBC Sports Channel so I could "watch" the marathon while I work.

For me this morning, some core work and a 4.31 mile run.

TammyinGP

and on another note, so i'm just not just whining. . . I had a very productive weekend. I volunteered at a sprint triathlon all Saturday morning, then headed to the nursery for flowers/veggie starts and spent the afternoon working in my garden.  So far, I have seeds in for celery, peas, spinach, lettuce, beets, radishes. I have starts for 3 kind of peppers, walla walla onions, some lettuce starts so I can start eating GOOD lettuce soon!, got some cucumber and broccoli starts from my neighbor, oh and planted 3, 10 ft, rows of beans and put in 8 tomato plants too. oh, yeah, and potatos. plus, my strawberries and raspberries are loaded with blossoms, so maybe i'll have a good fruit year too.

Tammy

Slept in.  Tired.  Yardwork etc yesterday.  Not sure when I will run this week as DD has an orthodontist appointment tomorrow morning, and it is going up to 82F today, yikes!  I wore my new bike shorts and bike short sleeve jersey to work today - fun stuff!  I was still sweating buckets.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I've been watching the Boston thread.  There's some good running happening.  steve, neat pictures of the race and the woods.  Holly, nice picture of some of your family.  marj, I like seeing the picture of some of the Boston crew.  Tammy, my wife is jealous of you planting so much of your garden.  I don't think the doctor would want me to use the rototiller yet.  My wife did, however, do a small section by hand and got some leaf lettuce, spinach, and snap peas planted.

Nice long runs for Mike, evan, starr, and Tammy.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s and calm - a beautiful morning.  I ran 2 miles at a 10:38 pace and walked 2 miles at a 13:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

My goal today is to avoid finding out who won Boston. I have my DVR set to record it. If all goes well, and with the NYC marathon all did not, I watch the Boston marathon "live" while I torture myself on the elliptical. Live as in skip the commercials and personal stories. Sort of turns a 2 plus hour race into about an hour.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - do you (or avenger) ever get lost?

I bet you and ziggie's ultra-adventures would make a good reality series.

along with all that holly, posie and the other goddesses get through each day

as a matter of course and still go out for long runs and marathons and ultras.

Way too tired from yesterday's to-and-from cycling for running the annual Seahawks 12K even to think about running this morning but then MikeE's post and others reminded me about Marge out there right now running the Boston Marathon pretty much on a last minute whim.  

Therefore, five sunny 'muting miles, before it gets into the eighties again, wearing the same style of Japanese jika-tabi split-toe cloth shoes with soft rubber soles almost like running barefoot that won the 1936 Olympics and several Boston's 66 years ago or so. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I love this photograph. Yeah, Marj!  Hiya Henry!

Unsure if y'all have noticed but, I have been on the DL.  I have a fascist foot. So what does one do when the p.f. is at its worst?

She goes out to southwest Virginia, straps a 22 pounds backpack on her back and hikes the Appalachian Trail with her friend and her rocket scientist.

We hiked from Wind Rock to Rice Fields Shelter (20.2 miles on Saturday) and from Rice Fields Shelter to Sparky (my red Prius) on Sunday. (6.4 miles) We had parked Sparky off 460 near Pearisburg. Our shuttle driver, Don, met us there at 0600 and then he drove us to Wind Rock (near Mountain Lake. Mountain Lake is where Dirty Dancing was filmed). We started near Wind Rock and walked South.

We passed a lot of Northbound thru hikers. Mostly young kids who started in Georgia (01 March- 04 March). These kids (ages 21- 26ish) were inspiring. Some were hiking by themselves and some had a partner. I hope they make it to Maine on time!

Anyway. For me, almost every step was painful, especially the downhill parts. But I love being out there so much, it was worth it. And maybe the p.f. pain helped prevent the blisters that my 2 hiking buddies suffered with at the end of the day? Carol and Ralph hiked faster than me because I had to go slow in order to tolerate the pressure on my right foot. Maybe that slower pace kept my feet from sliding around and blistering?

I can't wait to get out there again. But I really should tend to the plantar fascitis. I have been icing. I have been stretching. I have been rolling my foot on a ball. I wear a night splint. And I got a p.f. specific massage last week. I think things are going to get better soon.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Great pictures, everybody!  Holly--I like that shirt.

I did 6 miles, tonight.

I'm sure you're all sick of hearing from me, today so, I'm outta hear.  See ya!