Masters Running

monday july 28 daily (hot) runs and stuff (Read 1280 times)

King of PhotoShop

Okay, good news. The surgeon's office says, "Come on in for the pre-consult, and ask all the questions you want, and then we can go over all the pre-op instructions with you then." I told his nurse the questions I wanted to ask him and she said, "he's done this procedure many, many times with great success and we can give you the head of surgery at Baylor as a reference." So that's reassuring. I have an appt. for 2:30 tomorrow afternoon, and they have an opening for me to have the actual surgery this week. Jersey Boys was sensational. All four of us there and we had a ball. 3.3 on the dirt track with the Saint this morning. I walked like a man. She was going to run the 3 miles back to the house but it's headed to 105 today and she was a bit worried. I told her big girls don't cry. She's just too good to be true. Tim, if you ever want to see a shoe they really mess around with, try the Asics DS Trainer, an entirely different size and shape about every year. They drive me nuts. I called them and said, "let's hang on to what we've got." Good to see you LD folks doing some easy recovery work today. Perch is a pacesetter here. Spareribs
      Jersey Boys was sensational. All four of us there and we had a ball. 3.3 on the dirt track with the Saint this morning. I walked like a man. She was going to run the 3 miles back to the house but it's headed to 105 today and she was a bit worried. I told her big girls don't cry. She's just too good to be true. Spareribs
      There's way too much Jersey Boys in that paragraph. Of course, you could have referred to the time of day as just after Dawn, or how your eyes adored the Saint as she meandered around the track and mentioned the Sherry you iced for an afternoon apertif with her. grins, A Trade Manny? I think the time has come, my fellow RS Nationers.
      Masters 2000 miles
        Twocat - congratulations on the age group placement - super! Where is your race report?? Did I miss it??

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

For those who missed it... Twocat wrote:
          I coauthored an article for a professional publication. In my field publications are tiered in terms of influence and prestige. Think of writing something and then having a choice of seeing your local paper, the regional paper, or a national paper publish it and you get the idea. The paper I coauthored was published in, using my newspaper analogy, one of the national papers. The editors it seems voted to award it the prize for the best paper published by them in the prior year.
          Nice job, Twocat!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

I walked like a man. She was going to run the 3 miles back to the house but it's headed to 105 today and she was a bit worried. I told her big girls don't cry. She's just too good to be true. Tim, if you ever want to see a shoe they really mess around with, try the Asics DS Trainer, an entirely different size and shape about every year. They drive me nuts. I called them and said, "let's hang on to what we've got."
            Well, even if your candy girl did run back to the house, you could still be the big man in town as you shout "bye bye baby" as she runs off into the sunset....and don't think twice about it. FrankieG
            Mariposai

Congratulations Twocat!!!! That is a huge accomplishment. I am sure you are not telling us half fo the story. We are proud of you!!! I am so glad to hear that Spareribs can see the surgeon this week. The Van 1 folks wanted to call you to sheer you and the Saint up, but we did not have your number. I hope you felt our presence. Still in resting mode around here after the amazing experience at the Ragnar Relay. The whole four days was an experience that is hard to describe with words. I feel like I am in an overload mode right now. It is hard for me to even start journaling about the experience since I don't know where to begin. In the home front my DH and I are so happy to have both of our boys back home. Our Japanese traveler is back and also in an “overload mode”. Busy day ahead at work. I got to meet my new boss in a few minutes, I hope he is half as nice as the last one I had. Then the rest of the day will be filled with being bossed around by a camara and make-up crew for some fotoshooting for an award I have received.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Yeah, Mariposai! I sure hope you can figure out where to begin soon enough. We're all aching for details! (and photos...!) Tramps, the key now is to see if he'll run with me again! I think I took it easy on him while still pressing him to work at it. I hope he listened as I talked about easing into it, steady pacing, walk breaks were ok, etc. He just groaned "Mom, how can you talk so much when you're running???" RE: Shoes... Sue I know what you mean. I'm really glad I did NOT keep those Nimbus 10's. I kept thinking, maybe it's just my feet today... I ran a total of 4 miles in mine on three different days (testing on the treadmill) and they just felt all wrong. I know Byll hasn't had a problem with his, but for me I'm thinking my Asics Nimbus days are done. I'm buying all the 9's I can find in my size (10.5... not easy to find!), and will start looking for a replacement. Anyone run in the Brooks Defyance or Glycerin shoes? They have a good guarantee, thought I'd check them out... Still deciding whether to go run a 4 mile recovery type run at lunch... or just skip it and call it a rest day. I think my foot would prefer the latter, but by lunchtime I'll be itchin' to get out of here...!

I Can Go The Distance

6 miles easy this morning in 57:20 a 9:34 pace. I am waiting with a minnow on my tongue (with baited breath) for the UPS carrier to get here. My Garmin is coming today. Smile I hope to be able to use it tomorrow for my track workout. Of course since I am techno challenged it could take me awhile to program the thing. Confused Ribs: Glad to hear the good news about having the surgery this week. You will of course be in my thoughts and prayers. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

fjordrunner and a "heat wave" in Sweden is just how hot exactly? Wink
                    we hit about 91F today. it's toasty... susan
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

76 in Maine right now - perfect!

Marathon Maniac #3309

6 miles easy this morning in 57:20 a 9:34 pace. I am waiting with a minnow on my tongue (with baited breath) for the UPS carrier to get here. My Garmin is coming today. Smile I hope to be able to use it tomorrow for my track workout. Of course since I am techno challenged it could take me awhile to program the thing. Confused Ribs: Glad to hear the good news about having the surgery this week. You will of course be in my thoughts and prayers. Have a great day everyone. Bruce
                        Bruce... as I am "techno challenged" too, I found it very easy to set up with the quick set-up guide...worry about the rest later. Your personalized screen will be your greatest benefit (which I have set for - ave pace - distance - and time...but you have many options) . Ask any questions tonight or tomorrow if you have any trouble figuring it out. I knew I smelled something "fishy" in here Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

#artbydmcbride

Spareribs, you're hired! Cool

Runners run

Feel good after yesterdays 9 miler. Easy 4 miles today, still humid. Lunch time swim 200 meters. Ribs- glad to see your on your way.
                            evanflein

Ended up going out for 4.5 EZ miles, and glad I did because the sun came out and it was really nice! 63F, 75% humidity but a nice breeze made it a really nice run. Foot didn't seem to mind....
                                Aiming for 3 to 4 warm miles after dinner. Ez pace. Does anyone else find it creepy that there are 1006 views of this thread when usually the daily has under 400 by day's end?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."