Masters Running

new weekly newbies (Read 481 times)

lswife

Groan, dg, why did you ask. Wink Monday and Tuesday, I ran/walked 1.75 miles, skipped Wednesday, then read your post. Today I ran/walked 1.94 miles. Thanks, I really needed your nudging. My husband said it's been more like since Christmas that he hasn't seen me up and running regularly, so I'll have to "backtrack" a bit on training for the 5K in May and begin running regularly. Someone asked why I don't run outside in the cold weather. I'm just not a polar bear like some of you. Snow and ice and cold wind chills are enough to keep me indoors on the TM either here at home or at the Y. And, another "confession," last June when I finished C25K and feeling a healthy pride in myself, I went for my annual checkup, and out of the blue was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. One of the many things my doctor, herself a runner and even a marathoner, said was to run 5-6 days a week but to stick to the TM as much as possible to avoid injury (and multiple complications that a diabetic can develop). So only when it's nice, do I chance it and run through our neighborhood. This afternoon my husband has cheerfully insisted that he's taking me new shoe shopping. My other shoes are a year old and have taken some pounding, even if it's been at slug pace. Thanks for holding me accountable.
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

well, I think you definitely get a pass on running in cold weather. afraid I'm somewhat ignorant of all that diabetes involves, but I know that there is poor circulation and that's NOT a good mix with cold weather. as one with Raynaud's syndrome, I can speak to that. Running is running whether it's on the TM or the road. Have fun shoe shopping--think I may do that myself this weekend. speaking of cold weather, I made it out for my first (and probably only) single digit run this morning. 2.2 miles at 6am in 8F. got a late start, so didn't have enough time to do the full lake lap even if I wanted to. but the 2.2 was all I planned on anyway, just to see how the shins responded. so now I know I can go this far without any pain. try a little further on Sunday. only disappointment is that I look at my monthly total and it was at 39.5. really wanted to hit at least 40. oh well. more later. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lswife

Kevin - Until I was diagnosed, I was ignorant about diabetes and have learned a lot since last June. There's nothing like a health problem to educate a person. A year ago when I went running-shoe-shopping, I was fitted by a helpful salesperson and didn't have any problems. This afternoon I went to a different store and again had a good experience. This store had me put on a pair of "neutral shoes," had me run about 20 seconds on a treadmill while my feet were being videotaped, and then the salesperson showed my husband and me my gait. Hmmm - my ankles bend inward just a bit and so I was directed to shoes with more stability. After several tries, one pair fit very well and felt good, and we got them. The salesperson asked me if I ran in other than cotton socks. Nope, I said, I'm just a beginner with only one year running. So now I have a pair of "wicking" socks to try. The salesperson was young and trim and friendly. What was outstanding was that she never discouraged me, a 60-year-old chubby woman who began running only a year ago. She offered such nice advice and helpful hints to make my running better. When I asked about "age appropriate" running clothing, she nicely helped me there, telling me that the complete stock will be in in another month and told me what to look for. I'll definitely go to the store again. So, with the good shoe-fitting experience today and you people holding me accountable, I'll be on the TM regularly, making everyone (doctor included) happy. Big grin Thanks. Roberta
          The salesperson was young and trim and friendly. What was outstanding was that she never discouraged me, a 60-year-old chubby woman who began running only a year ago.
          You are so fortunate to have found this running store and this salesperson there. I had a horrible experience at the first running store I went to (really felt a vibe like I was this fat, old sloth who didn't deserve to be buying running shoes from thin, fast folks such as them) and an awesome one at the second, which, of course, is now the only place I buy my shoes and lots of other gear. I met the owner of "my" store after I tore through three pairs of shoes in under 100 miles each. She took plenty of time with me, explained that I should try orthotics and if they didn't work that I should see a podiatrist whom she recommended. Even though I was in my mid-40s and woefully out of shape (well, still am to a slightly lesser degree!), there was never the slightest implication that I wasn't and wouldn't remain a runner. My podiatrist is equally awesome. From my first visit, his attitude has always been that I'm a runner and that his job is to help me keep running and to become better at it. We're so lucky to have these folks on our "teams!" Now get on that treadmill, girl! Actually, I need a kick in the pants, too. I just went four days without running - the longest since October. Two nights out for work left me completely wiped out last night and this evening. Rehearsal tomorrow morning then definitely a run tomorrow afternoon! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sounds like a very nice running store you've found, Roberta. also sounds like you got some good shoes. If they're a really nice store, they should have a good return policy if the shoes don't feel great after a few runs. I know it's good to support local stores, but if you want to get some decent quality running clothes at a reasonable price, try Target or Dick's house brands. also Marshall's for cheap under armor socks. I get packs of 4 pairs for $8. Happy running!! eta--Hi Eliz, a little cross posting here. Consider yourself kicked---get out and run Wink you're still keeping up with the pace bunny. I think I'm loosing track.

lswife

The other extreme of salespeople . . . Last summer I posted on the CR board what happened to me when I went to check out a new gym in town. Because it advertised an indoor track and sent out "try us" postcards, I visited it and was taken on a tour by a young man. When he found out that I ran, he tactfully asked how old I was. When I said, "59," he lost his tact and said if I haven't been a runner most of my life, that I should quit because I was too old, I was ruining my knees, etc. I didn't go back but stayed at the Y where some of the trainers/encouragers are middle aged and even my age.
              Rindaroo

Hey all! its been a crazy busy week - but I'm still making it to the Y on my "every other day" schedule! I went Wed morning & did 1.30 miles on TM - 10W/7R/3W plus c/d & the weight machines & this morning I did 1.60 miles on the TM 10W/5R/3W/5R/2W plus c/d & the weight machines. So, little baby steps on the running, and my alignment is getting better slowly Smile Bob - Welcome to our little area of the world! I have to admit I've been a little perkier on the mornings I've made it to the gym Cool I'm hoping to continue on.. If I can go to bed at 10 the night before & have all my stuff ready, I seem to be able to drag my rear out of bed, somehow get my clothes on, and get to the gym in the morning. so far so good. Laurie - no never did get ChiRunning. The bronchials are surviving on the babysteps, so all is good. Think I may try a longer session this weekend. Debbie - how are you holding up with the TM time? Ls - sounds like a good running store! I think most runners are very supportive of anyone who wants to run. I had a horrible experience with a pulmonolgist last year who told me I shouldn't run due to the knees thing - only walk.. he switched my meds too... & I was horribly sick last year - a coincidence? I think not. Lance - Welcome to the newbies too!! Sounds like you are doing great! I didn't buy the right shoes either til I was injured. I've heard that about old shoes too (in fact I think mine qualify). Gotta run! will yak with you all later.
                  L's, WOW! Even video taped your run?! Thats a running store to stick with! All the stores I have been to have said "go run outside a bit and tell me how they feel". I side with Kevin on the chothes though. Spend your money on the best shoes you can afford and save where possible on chothes. The discount stores are good. Or Athleta.com. I am NOT a cold weather runner either. I hate it. My lungs hurt and I weeze and just am miserable all around. Kicks in the butt for Me, L's, Eliz and bugs to Dg. I havent run since last Sunday. Did one lame gym workout Wed. Tried to work out yesterday in the gym but left after just stretching. Its been a lame week. Kevin, what is Reynauds? Speaking of active aging...my tennis playing mom (70) met a 91 year old tennis player. He had an interesting ring on and he explained that it was for his softball team that one the national championship last year! I am hosting the women's running club fun run tomorrow. We just got about 6 inches of snow so its going to be a cold snowy slushy run tomorrow. Got to go map out the routes now. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

the little veins in fingers and toes shutdown in the cold and your appendages turn white. it seems somewhat random, at least for me. I've had it happen at 40 and it never did when I was out in Idaho Confused very rarely happens while running--guess the extra blood circulation helps.

Since you guys were so supportive when I shared that my SIL had had a stroke last month, I thought you might like an update. Finally got to spend some time with my brother and SIL on Friday night. She's getting around fairly well considering that she still has some loss of feeling and mobility on her right side and that her right leg is in a boot-type cast. She's working diligently to regain use of her right hand - she's right handed, worked (and hopes to work again) as a medical transcriptionist and is quite the artist. I think the best change is in her attitude - she got a phone call from a high school friend while I was there and was very straight with him about how she'd stopped managing her health, especially her diabetes, while my niece and her kids were living with them and that she's determined to stay back on track now. And I'm optimistic that she will. The really interesting part is that, in spite of the stress of the hospitalization and the difficulties of working through her limitations now, both she and my brother seem less stressed than before my niece and the kids moved out. In spite of still working full-time and now doing everything at home, my brother looks more relaxed that he has in months. Mom made dinner and took it to their house so that we could spend some time together - something I'm going to try to do once a week or so to give my brother a break and just hang out with them. Thanks again for your kind thoughts and prayers for my family. Smile eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, Sounds like she is doing well. Her attitude impresses me. A lot of people will learn from her. My fun run went really well yesterday. Lots of sunshine but cold temps and a little wind. We all survived though. The women were all happy with the food I made and bought. I didnt really go to extremes. Just made some homemade muffins with apples, carrots, coconut, raisins and walnuts in them. Made this Italian sausage and egg pie, bought muffins and bagels (which werent touched), made frozen hash browns and fresh fruit salad and these little yogurt and granola parfaits and some boiled eggs (werent touched). They are such great company. We decided to buy Race Against the Clock video and have little movie nights passing it around the club. We ran 3.7 miles. I survived and had just a little leg pain later in the day after I stiffened up. I found out that stretching, using the foam roller and heating pad works wonders. Today is my last PT appt. Kim has 2 more. How was everyones weekend? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

laurie--if that's not extremes, would you come make breakfast for me? Wink Sounds very tasty.

btb1490

Hi guys, sorry to be amiss here. I do read every day though! Laurie- Shoot, you did the MNF Tri? You're just a stones throw away from me. If you guys do it again, let me know ok? I'd love to come cheer you on. So you're a computer tinkerer too? I hope you find a way to turn it into something you can do full time, since you like it so much. Your running group sounds like a lot of fun! That was some spread you put out! What's not to be happy about? I'm glad you got your run in too! dg- you're daughter sounds awesome if she can outquote you with the Holy Grail! I bow to her. Regarding the orthotics, the changes my podiatrist made were too extreme. My feet HURT and by the 2nd day I had to undo the changes. I know there is a break in period, and when I first got the orthotics, they were uncomfortable, but after a couple of days, things were fine. This time it was just plain painful. The next step is to get them redone completely. Have you gone through all of this yourself? Let's see, programming languages... PASCAL? PL1? COBOL? RPG? I started out in college with punchcards. Remember those? lancesmom- another IT person! System admins can't know everything about everything. You have it right, know a little about most stuff, then delegate. Mainframes are making a comeback, aren't they? Let us know how you liked Holy Grail when you get it. Eliz- I do email. That was pretty funny! Your title should be AT... Academic Technology. Good tip to Stumpy for the ice pack. Good to know. Sorry you got sick, how are you feeling now? Thanks for the update on your SIL. I'll send her and your brother prayers. She has a rough road ahead, but it sounds like she's determined. Keep up your awesome support. So often after something like this happens, there is a ton of people helping out initially, then it dies off. Your brother and SIL I have no doubt appreciate all you do, even if its as simple as a phonecall or a visit to say hi, just to have someone to talk to and share their concerns with. jemmama- HI! Smile Keep those calves stretched and massaged. Do you own a foam roller? Or the stick? I wouldn't be surprised if everything you're feeling is related to each other. lswife- you're doing ok with your exercise. This time of year is tough. Come springtime, you'll WANT to get out and do stuff. If you are leary about running the roads, is there a track you can run on? At least you will be outdoors! Sounds like you have a very supportive husband. Your shoe shopping experience sounded great! That store sounds like a keeper. Good luck with the diabetes, I know several people who run marathons and manage it ok. stumpy- 39.5 rounds up to 40! I'm glad to hear you survived your frigid run, especially with Reynauds. Rindaroo- Hi, and thanks for the welcome! This is a nice little area of the world you guys have here. Good deal on the AM workouts, it's a great start to the day. Keep at it! It was a good weekend. Saturday was spent helping with a church fundraising spaghetti dinner. I made a cinnamon swirl coffee cake, and posted the recipe on the daily thread if you're interested. It's really easy. Was able to sneak out for an easy run in the afternoon. Sunday was a long run day. In the afternoon I took a nice hike with the dog. Walking after your hard workouts is a great way to stay loose. Chinese food for dinner, haven't done that in a while. Did a lot of cleaning and organizing, seems that is perpetual no matter how much you do. Have a great week everyone. Keep at it!
                              Sideshow, Smile yeah, I guess I need the foam roller? Anyone have a resource for that? Nice weekend for you. We help out at our church once a month with coffee and donuts. Once a month or so, we beg at our local bagel shop for their leftovers, and usually pick up dozens of free bagels for the coffee hour. I mean, like 100-200 bagels, that would have been thrown in the garbage otherwise. Someday I'd like to find a way to get leftover food like this to people who really need it. Deb, I was disappointed when I finally got to the library and the Noakes book was checked out. And my own library has declined to purchase it. Angry Maybe I'll have to break down and buy it. I'm, um, thrifty. But I did splurge for new shoes, and after taking 7 whole days off, I ran yesterday, 4 miles. Still some tightness in the right calf and mild AT symptoms. Sad Laurie, you made me hungry with that description. Happy to hear about your run! Eliz, good news about your SIL Big grin Roberta, you've got a great store, there. Mine is good, too. They videotape, and no one looks down on the older runner, from what I've seen. YIKES! I just checked the weather, says it's 64 degrees here, at 11:40 am! Be still my heart. I'm changing and getting out there. Hey to Mike, Kevin, Nancy, Linda, and the professor and Maryann. Have a great day, all. Jem
                              btb1490

Sideshow, Smile yeah, I guess I need the foam roller? Anyone have a resource for that?
                                I've had good luck ordering from this place. http://www.fmcmedicalrehab.com/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FMC&Product_Code=FR6X36 Also, here's a decent guide on the use of foam rollers: http://www.smiweb.org/massage/injuries.html Scroll down the page to find it. There are some other good articles there as well. Good luck.