Masters Running

new weekly newbies (Read 481 times)

Foam roller link http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Foam-Roller-Core-Yoga-Exercise-Balance-Rehab-36x6-W_W0QQitemZ350030852704QQihZ022QQcategoryZ1521QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Bob, DD and I did the MNF. We dont have a plan for this year yet but she likes the MNF since she can place in it. Will keep you advised. I think I am a half step above tinkerer. What would you call that. My degree is in computer science but my present job pays better but some day I will make the switch. I'll take some of that cinnamon swirl coffee cake too! I remember punch cards but I'm ancient. Saw a physical therapist yesterday who specializes in feet. She examined my feet, walk and legs really well. Turns out I have week glutes and abs. So I have a list of exercises to add to my already too long workout. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I got mine at Dick's (for about $25) it came with a DVD that I haven't watched yet. but just a couple of rollings took care of a knot that I had in my hammy for ages.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks Bob (is that a cootie bug?), Laurie, and Kevin, for the info. Theresa, if you're out there, WTG on your monthly pr! Jem
        btb1490

jemmama- I never commented on the leftover food comment of yours. It's amazing how wasteful we are sometimes. How nice that you are able to rescue those bagels from their fate in the dumpster. Good luck finding that Noakes book. From what I understand, it's out of print and crazy expensive. I've never read it myself, but hear nothing but good things about it. Somewhere else on these forums, I've seen threads related to that book and where to find it. And yes that is a cootie bug! Remember those? Did you get your foam roller yet, and more importantly... start using it? That, and your new shoes, should help. Laurie- my apologies if it sounded like I was trivializing your computer skills by saying that you tinker with them. Even though I'm in IT, I don't use all the technical lingo that goes with it. There was a bug in one of our programs at work that I fixed once, and the CFO wanted to know what the problem was, so I told him the programs was boogered up and I fixed it. He wanted a more technical explanation, so I started giving it to him as I watched his eyes glaze over. Finally he stopped me and said ok, it was boogered up. If you are one step above tinkerer, I would call that being smarter than 99.9% of people out there when it comes to computers. There is a nice triathlon out in Montauk Point, maybe you guys should think about that one some day. I'm glad your PT found some issues, that means you will get yourself fixed! Now make sure you do your exercises! stumpy- I saw in the daily your shins are giving you grief again. How are your shoes? Where is everyone else?
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks Bob (is that a cootie bug?), Laurie, and Kevin, for the info. Theresa, if you're out there, WTG on your monthly pr! Jem
            Thanks, Jem! I'm hoping to have a PR every month for awhile! I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't get sick - I've been very lucky this winter. The weather is still discouraging - it literally snows/sleets/rains every other day or so. I'm getting tired of the treadmill! I did manage 4. 1 miles outside on Tuesday. We had another storm last night (snow/sleet/freezing rain/ice, according to the weatherman), and now the roads are in HORRIBLE shape. Come on, spring!!!!
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Bob--my shoes have only about 250 miles on them. Of course with my high mileage, I've been using them since august. Blush I was about to buy the same thing again (GTS7's) on line, because the GTS8s are now out, but because of the pain in the shins, I think I need to find time to make it to the running store and maybe try something else. or at least confirm that they may just be worn out. i really like the way they feel so I hope I can get them again. Kevin

btb1490

Kevin - this is probably the best article I've seen on shin splints. It's long, but worth reading, and worth FOLLOWING! http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm Getting in the right shoe certainly will help a lot. Also, another common cause is overstriding. Try shortening up your stride out there. At first it will feel like you are taking baby steps, but stick with it, you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!
                  Kevin, I'm sure you know this, but they say that the padding in the shoes can get "stale" and wear out with age, even without lots of miles on them. Maybe this is happening to you? I just got the Brooks 8's. I was open to trying something else, but in the end they felt best. I've only run 8 miles in them so far. They feel like the 6's. I never had 7's, just 2 pairs of 6's. My feet don't feel the nirvana some runners seem to feel when they put on their new shoes. With me it's more the absense of what felt bad in all the other shoes, and just comfort. Cootie bugs - oh yes, I remember them from my own childhood, and I also have some in the basement (I think) that I got for my older kids when they were little. Haven't seen those little guys, or even thought of them, in a long time. FYI, Good news - Amazon has the Noakes book for $19.77, new. I'm probably going to order it today, just need to find out if one of the kids needs something, and get the total up to $25 for the super-saver shipping. I'd rather buy a book than pay shipping. Smile Foam rollers: do you think I could use a pool noodle? I have one that's the same diameter, and I've tried it following the directions you sent, Bob. My calves feel better, but I've been resting a lot (took an extra day yesterday), and haven't run yet. I plan to run today, 3 or 4 miles. I'll use the noodle (go ahead, laugh) and warm up first. I hate warming up. I tell myself that I run so slow I don't really need to. Pretty sure I'm wrong. Blush Theresa, you are on a roll. It feels so great to be getting better and running a little more every month! Hi to all. Gotta go do something constructive. Jem
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jem--this isn't constructive? I'm crushed Wink I also wondered about the pool noodles, but I haven't seen one thats as large in diameter as the roller (about 6-7"). but they are a lot cheaper than the regular rollers. Thanks for the link, Bob--I actually found that myself last night and have it saved. now all I have to do is follow it Smile that, and get my shoes and feet checked out this weekend. Good morning to everyone else. it seems to have been a quiet week here. Hope people are just too busy and not staying away to injury or other lack of running. Kevin

Teresadfp

One day at a time

DS15 and I found a good road to run on. He ran an easy 8 miles in 58:30, and I also ran 8 miles (a distance PR for me!), but in 1:30:07. It's so amazing to see your child blow by you like you're standing still! He certainly makes it look easy. He just found out that his high school team's 4x800 relay time at the New England Indoor Track meet last week (8:18.85) broke a school record! He and another boy on the team are sophomores, and a third is a junior, so next year should be even better. What good kids they are. OK, I have to go take a shower and come down off of cloud nine! Big grin Big grin Big grin
                      btb1490

Regarding the foam rollers, they use a much higher density foam than the pool noodles do, and are therefore more effective ( they don't compress as you roll over them). A pool noodle is better than nothing though. The link I put up for a foam roller charged $12.95 I believe. It's worth the investment in my opinion.
                          Yeah the real foam rollers are best. Pool noodles are too skinny and too flimsy. Mine was worth every penny I spent. Theresa, its also cool that he will run with you. Picked up a new pair of Mizuno light stability shoes today on my PTists recommendation. They work fine for the gym. Going to put them to the test on the road this weekend. Time to retire the Nike Free and get on to a real running shoe. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

lswife

Bad news about my new running shoes (Asics) - they make my left foot hurt so much that I had to cut short my last session. I ran Tuesday, some pain, but I made it; my left foot was too sore the rest of the day and on Wednesday to do much, let alone run. Thursday I ran again, but after 1.5 miles had to quit, limping badly. The pain is the size of a half-dollar on the outer side of my left heel, under the ankle but more on the side of my heel. I can't seem to find any info about it; don't think it's PF. The shoe store stands behind its shoes, so I'm returning them Monday. I'm thinking my foot pain will be better then, and more could be tried on. What could I have done differently? My husband thought if I had run there on the store's TM, but the pain really didn't begin until about 10 minutes into the run. If my original Brooks style is still made, I'm thinking of sticking with them.
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

not much else you could do that I can think of. But that's one of the main reasons to patronize a good running store with the proper return policy. try returning a pair of run in shoes to Sports Authority Shocked good luck with the next fitting. teresa--great long run Big grin your son does what's called a PBJ special. (8 miles in an hour) something I dream about. yours is none too shabby either, since I haven't been over 7. Kevin

Teresadfp

One day at a time

not much else you could do that I can think of. But that's one of the main reasons to patronize a good running store with the proper return policy. try returning a pair of run in shoes to Sports Authority Shocked good luck with the next fitting. teresa--great long run Big grin your son does what's called a PBJ special. (8 miles in an hour) something I dream about. yours is none too shabby either, since I haven't been over 7. Kevin
                                Kevin, I'll have to tell my son that term! The scary thing is that most of that run was "easy" for him, except for a 1.25-mile tempo segement.