Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 3.12.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Twocat, I can do your idea of a 50K. 

Those are great photos, Mike!

David is going to do great at his 1st meet, Tammy.

I could'a stayed in bed and slept this morning, but I got up at the usual time, got dressed, and headed out for a workout. Despite the fact that the temp was supposedly in the upper 30s, and that I had my headlamp on, I hit a patch of ice that I never saw, hyper-extended my leg, and just barely managed to stay upright. I really didn't need more of that, so I turned around, went back home, and got out my laptop to get some work done instead. Total distance: about 30 yards. So it goes.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good Morning Coastwalker and all the good people of RA masters to come!

Good thinking on not slipping or falling more! yikes....Same thing here, but I went out a bit later at 5:45 a.m. and there was enough bare pavement to make it work. 8.8 miles with Ultra-Amy (just named to the US trail team that will compete at the world championships in France this July)---headlamps, good chatter, and no falls on the ice.

Lots of good runs and workouts here as well as surgery recovery, birthdays, and everything else. Hope the hand continues to heal Twocat. Hugs to all who need them and shout-outs and props to many others.I am far behind, but always with y'all in spirit.

Happy Thursday all!

Good morning Jay, Karin and all to follow. Gotta watch out for that black ice Jay, it's a killer to runners in the dark! Nice early run for you Karin, and always nice to see your posts.

Your granddaughters are beautiful Mike! Thanks for sharing your pictures. And you are freaky fast.

Twocat, I wish I was fast enough to join your relay. I did the Ragnar Miami to Key West relay a few years ago and had so much fun. I was the youngest person on a senior team - the oldest runner was 85 at the time. We didn't break any land/speed records but managed to get back to Key West before the cutoff time and had a riot in the process. You sure learn a lot about people living with them in a van for two straight days!

Ran with some of the girls from the Y this morning. First time out on the trail - woo hoo! It was still pitch black at Jay o'clock and the footing was dicey in some spots but it was 34°, no wind and there was a bright moon to help us see the path. After months of being cooped up inside on treadmills and tracks, it sure feels great to be outside again. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 60° here! I know winter isn't over, but this break in the weather has been much appreciated. Sorry Erika - wish is was warmer where you are.

Still getting settled in the house. Lots of boxes and still parking cars outside. DH turns 70 on the 16th and I'm looking for some ideas for gag gifts for him besides the usual Ben-Gay, Depends etc. Anyone got some thoughts?

Have a great Thursday everyone!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  back at work after a three day trip.  Now several weeks behind.

I took advantage of a doctor's appointment to get up at the normal time and still get a short run in.  3.25 miles just as the sun was coming up.  I could very easily see where I was going, and also that I would have been in real trouble at the normal time.  Boy, it is nice to be back outside.  it was tempting to think about shorts at 35F, but the 15-20 mph breeze made me glad I stuck with the tights.  The three days away were all melting days--over a foot of snow gone and the town was finally able to clear a lot of the sidewalks around the lake.

The doctor's appointment was for a full body scan at the dermatologist and I passed with flying colors (see--I'm listening, Robin)  I did have a few keriotosis (?) frozen off, but he said nothing to worry about.

Jay--hope there's no aftereffects from the ice waltz.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Good morning. Heat wave is gone, though it was mid-20s this morning, which is not bad, just very windy.  Yesterday we hit 55 or so, which felt nice and it is helpful in town to have the snow banks recede, but I would like the snow to stay a bit longer up north so I can hike and ski a bit more before mud season.

I ran about 6.5 this morning.  There was some ice here and there, but it was not bad.  Some sidewalk access is returning on the one road where you need it.  Yesterday, I ran about 8 then swam 3/4 mile after work.  Tomorrow morning may be cool enough to try to run on the rail trail again; I sort of figured earlier this week it was too soft.  Flailing about is no fun...

I am working the annual Sap run ski race at Wildcat this Saturday then driving with DS to Whiteface NY.  He qualified through USSA races for the Eastern U 16 Championships, so we will be there all next week.  Two days of Super G, one GS, one off day while the girls do GS, then slalom.  I will ski a little, work a little, watch him race and try not to be too nervous.   I don't know where he will stack up in the group.  Vermont has a big quota and several ski academies, and there are often pretty good NY skiers, plus his NH competitors and others from the Eastern US, so we shall see.  It might be a humbling week, but it should be fun and a good learning experience.

Good running, everyone! Spring is coming.

Jay, didn't you heed my warning in yesterday's post? I think that the situation is that the ground is still quite frozen, so once it gets dark, even if the air temp is above freezing, the pavement is cold enough to ice over.

Stumpy, you sound like me with having those keretosis thingies. What gets me is that every time the dermatologist goes "pffft" with that freezing spray, it's at least $50 a pop (and mine has a nurse with an iPad standing there keeping count).

Anyone else doing a Pi Day Run on Saturday? Hey, it's 3/14/15, and that won't happen again for 100 years (so it's probably our last chance). I'm signed up for a run put on by the local high school's math department -- 3.14 miles just to make it interesting.

I felt good today after yesterday's 6-miler, although my left hip is still a bit of a bother. Today I went to the campus rec center and swam 500 yards. I'm still catching up on things after being away two weeks, so didn't want to kill the entire morning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Jlynne join up!  The Rosie Ruiz Fan club does not care how fast or slow you are.  We will not win anything if you are faster than Mike E.  We will not lose anything if you are slower than . . . than . . . someone working behind the desk at <name your least favorite bureaucracy here>.  Our only care is that you come to have a good time, cheer on your teammates and care not a wit for how high up in the final rankings we place!  Sign up today!!!  Just send me a note here at RA or anywhere else and I can give you all of the details.

A note to everyone else:  Are you even thinking of signing up for the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club's fall race in New Hampshire?  Afraid to do so because you are <slow, only run X miles a week, etc.> then read the paragraph above this one!  Then join the team!!

Oh yes, running.  None for me today as I ran yesterday.  Sorry, nothing for me to report on that front.  Just an hour on the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Intervals last night. 1000's. i hate 1000's.  why did I ever do to david to deserve that? Because the HS was using the track, I couldn't use the track so ran on a long stretch of the road in front of the school. it does have a very slight incline to it, which meant my first one, going on a slight decline, wasn't so bad. 4:47 (target was 5:00). but then coming back, I had to go up and was way off my mark (5:18). yeah, i hated it. wanted to puke.  then the last one was slightly down again, another 4:47. better but I still hated it.  Then I had a couple 200s at :50.

I realized when I read Mari's response about David being given a Pre necklace that maybe it sounded like I implied it was one of Pre's personal necklaces. it wasn't. It was a necklace designed by Pre's sister, I think, and Pre's mom gave one to all the track runners at David's HS.  David's coach is a personal friend of the family, and even raced against Steve back in the day. In fact, in the movie Fire on the Track, David's coach is seen in some of the original footage at a track meet with Pre. So that's the reason that David has a "Pre necklace".

today is 8 miles.

super cute pics of Mike's grandkids. Those two lil ones sure look like they have grandpa's mischievous eye!

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

The Saint and I got in 8 at the park this morning, mid 50's temps and partly sunny.

On Saturday I'm doing a 5K with my oldest son whom you know as SpareTire.  He is the one who had the patellar tendon tear and will just about be able to jog the distance slowly. I am proud of his recovery and want to share this experience with him.  We'll have fun.  The race is our annual "Dash Down Greenville Avenue" in Dallas and is followed by a big St. Patrick's Day Parade and beer and stuff.  About 8,000 runners expected.  We won't finish in the money.

On Sunday I'll run at the Lake in the morning, then fly to Seattle, but if Tet is still in Japan, what's the point in even going there.

The Saint is mowing the lawn today, Hudson is fishing with a friend and I have very little work to do, taking it easy.  Spareribs

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Spareribs - you do remember how to take it easy, don't you?

Twocat - do you still need another runner for the rach the beach?  If so, I'll discuss it with Long Suffering over the weekend.

I am so freaking sick of the treadmill - I gotta get outside this weekend.  I think the snowbanks have finally receded enough...

Take care everyone.

PBJ we still need runners!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

Some good runs and wise non-runs reported.  Great pics Mike and Steve.  Heat wave also gone here, but ran 5 in mid 30's and hit icy section in the shade and saved by a parked truck that I grabbed onto.  I was much more careful for the last mile and a half.

jlynne - i only got 'real' gifts, so no suggestions for you

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Anyone else doing a Pi Day Run on Saturday? Hey, it's 3/14/15, and that won't happen again for 100 years (so it's probably our last chance). I'm signed up for a run put on by the local high school's math department -- 3.14 miles just to make it interesting.

Okay, you know this is the kind of thing I love! I'm running a Fat Ass group run on Saturday - the total is 100k but I was only planning on joining them for about half, so maybe I'll shoot for 31.4 miles!

I ran 11 miles today - our roads are finally starting to dry out nicely, just in time for more snow tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

Only our Carolyn could take the Pi Day 3.14 and "round up" to 31.4 .  Love that.  Also, very nice offers,  thanks!  I'll be in Michigan in June but November is in the planning stages.......and what fun.....and Moab is so gorgeous.......o, yea, wait, I totally s#*! at trail running.

Good news!  Vast numbers of geese flying north in V formations every day!

Kinda enjoying my strolls in the dark ams.  Can't go to Lakes Park now as it's too dark, but that'll change.

Y'all see that alligator on the Florida golf course?  Life is interesting here, for sure.

Boston bibs are out.  I'm 12071, so 2nd wave.

Heal up twocat; take care jay and everyone--that melty ice that refreezes can be dangerous.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

6 miles, tonight.  It was the coldest 62o I've ever felt...not sure why I was so cold.  Anyway...just 6 miles in 47:54.

Well...I guess since her brother and sister where posting pictures of their kids on Facebook, my oldest daughter felt like she had to post one, too.  You can't see their faces, but it's a cool picture...

Okay--gotta go--see ya!