Masters Running

TGIF 4/3 Runs, Rests and Respect (Read 514 times)

I've thought a lot about TomD and Donna since reading yesterday's sad news. Hang in there, Tom, we're all with you at this terrible time. hopeful, congrats to your husband on his 6 month anniversary of quitting smoking. SLO, that's a nice looking family and yard. bike, I would have liked to have seen the look on your doctor's face when you told him about your pain free running. Nice long runs for evan, bike (with speedwork), mariposai (with speedwork), PBJ, and Tall (with speedwork). Good job on the speedwork for hopeful. This morning it was in the low 40s with some rain and wind. When I heard the forecast last night, I was expecting heavy rain and strong winds. I sure didn't want to do the TM but knew it was a possibility. It turns out the rain was light and the wind moderate so I went out and got in about 8 miles. I messed up my watch but had a pace of about 10:15 for the 5.75 miles I recorded. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
      Bizarrely, I’m another lb down this morning, which makes a total of 3 lbs lost during taper. How does THAT happen? ...... our candy bowl is getting kind of low…. Wink
      Hmmm is there a correlation? Speaking of correlations and research (nice segue, eh?) I have been looking at research on children's activity levels and the influence of parental role models. Looking at the picture of Holly's DD and how she wants to run with her, and Mary's DD skateboarding to work research has shown that the mother has the greatest influence (not a big surprise but worth noting) on their children's activity. So to all the moms on this site way to go! Your are giving your children a most imprtant gift. Thought I would share that information. Tim- be thankful that it wasn't a Saint Bernard looking dog you met last night.
      dg.

Mary, that's so great! Congratulations to your DH...nice you're being so supportive, too. Very funny about your DD. Holly, way to taper. yes, that's the picture! Big grin Lou, I'd noticed you were missing... Harriet too. Glad to know you're spending your time well. goooo, Nono!!! Slo_hand... congratulations to you too! Hope your shin is ok. Thanks, that picture is just right right now. Toms, nice run. How is your mom? Better post this & get back to work. going back & forth, I forget what I've already typed. A nice vegetative state this morning... bed by 9:30, but was awake by 11 because of thunder & rain. Poor Sadie, she's not a big fan. She'd get up & pace, flop down & crawl under the bed (wood floors), & for the duration of the long rain, panted loudly. Must have gone back to sleep, woke at 3. drifted off, but up at 3:45. Again on the gym track, 5 miles with 9:10 average pace, 6:51 was the max. 168 ahr, 185 max. I did 3 800 meter things at 8:27, 8:16 & 8:16, long rests between (2 min. + a little) at 9:17. Also, 2 200 meter things (baby steps) at 7:44 & 7:58. This is actually a little faster than I felt like I was going, probably better calibrate my Polar to make sure. then just 1 set of lower body weight machines. Had to hurry, I had a 9:00 doc appt. in a town a bit away. The doc appt. went well! He said some of the S/I issues seemed better, & with a couple of adjustments (he's a DO) he was able to loosen my stuck sacrum, which I think has been stuck for 12 years. Really. They've been working on it at PT, & I've had to do this weird thing with a tennis ball that hurts... but it's been stubborn. Now I'm walking around & it feels like things are doing what they oughta. A little afraid to breathe so I don't mess it up again.
          WRFB.......Whatchamakin ? I'm in the mood for a good Oatmeal Stout.
          First let me congratulate you, Mary's DH and everyone else who has kicked the habit. At 16 I'd been smoking for three years (what the heck was a 13 year old smoking for ??), and I tried and tried and tried -- it was very hard for me. I can't imagine how hard it would be for someone who had been smoking for decades. I'm making a beer which is about as far from Oatmeal Stout that you can get -- a Czech Pilsner -- same style as Pilsner Urquell.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Holly - that picture of your daughter is priceless! Shades, cowboy boots - looks like she's got an "attitude." Wonder who she takes after Big grin Slo-Hand - what an awesome yard. Everyone looks so relaxed and happy - another great photo. Tim - you must just have that nice person look to dogs. Hope you got the stains out of your running shoes! Mary - quitting smoking is tough work. Like Holly, I quit when I got pregnant with DS#1 and it's been almost 33 years. Hope the two of you have a nice evening out. Will there be pizza and beer??? Rest day for me, so I took a 3 hour shift at one of our homeless shelters this morning. They will stay open until the end of the month, then the shelter guests will be on their own. There are so many sad souls. I'm not sure where they will all end up. The unemployment rate here is 11% and most businesses are laying off instead of hiring. There are so many young people. I always say a prayer of thanks that my kids are employed and doing okay. Tomorrow I'm planning on running with the training group for the CellCom half marathon. We're 7 weeks out. I did 10 + last Saturday and the schedule calls for 10 again tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces but this training group has turned into a race by itself. There's been 150 - 200 people at all of the training runs so far, and with good weather predicted for tomorrow, I suspect there will be that many or more. Should be fun, though. Hey Nono - hurry back! ETA - WRFB, do you deliver? That Pilsner sounds pretty darn good.

King of PhotoShop

5 @ 9:09, which is easy pace for me, followed by flex and core session at the Y. Holly, what is BQ pace? And what is your pace plan for this upcoming race? Mariposai, you are on tired legs today. I will be relieved just as you will when this week is over. A tough one indeed. Spareribs
              TammyinGP

Tim, the dog was just marking his territory Wink I remember that pic Holly! Cute! You'll do great on your race. You usually underestimate your ability . . . let's see. . . who BQ'd at her first marathon?? Tongue Yesterday the day got away from me. Sat in on opening statements of a murder trial, so that alone took up my entire morning. then I actually had work to do, so skipped my lunch hour. But I only had 3 on schedule to do anyways, so will do that today. My long run this wknd is just 7 miles. Guess I won't make tselbs honor roll Sad . . . Sunday is supposed to be 70 and sunny, so I'd like to get in a bike ride, but it'd also be a great day to get spring yard clean up done, maybe get a flowers in the plantars for color, etc.

Tammy

Holly, that is going to be a great Blackmail picture when your DD is about, say, 16 or so. Make sure you have a (digital) copy safe somewhere 'cause she might want to burn it. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Slo.. that looks like a Normal Rockweel painting.. very nice! Congrats to Mary's DH. I smoked in grad school and quit when DD1 was born exactly 24 years ago yesterday. I went to the cardiologist yesterday about my A-Fib incident. Luckily she is not only a cardiologist but also an excercise physiologist and former triathlete. After tests she said I was a "picture of health" and took me off coumadine and on an asprin a day. She's going to do an echo cardiogram next thursday but expects to see a healthy heart and said there is no reason that I cant run Boston (aside fom my leg injury Smile ) In fact she said NOT RUNNING BOSTON IS NOT AN OPTION! She thinks genetic or stress related cause (ok so I'm unemployed for the first time in 23 years, what's to stress??). Actually the night it happened I remember having a bit of a panic attack while sleeping. I though Boston was 2 weeks away when it was really 3 weeks and I worried I might not have enough healing time. Today 2 mile walk with the dogs with some nerve pain in the upper leg there but lessthan yesterday. Then 60 min elliptical and 30 min spinning which felt great after.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Congrats to all the former smokers out there. It's a vile addiction and so hard to beat. My DH smoked for years but quit the year before we started seeing each other. I remember him smoking in high school... Holly, I love that picture. Sometimes my DS2 will dress up in funny stuff like that. Well, not so much now (he's 14 and just too cool), but a few years ago I remember I'd come home and see the most funny things. He'll still put on his snowboarding helmet and goggles to play his PS3... Speaking of DS2, he's home sick today. Bad cold. I made him go to school yesterday because they usually get over whatever morning crud they have. He got worse and worse. Then there was a bomb threat (posted on the internet, someone saw it and called the police, the high school was immediately in "lock down") and he was trapped in his Algebra class (least favorite class) for 4 hours. Poor kid. He was pretty mad at me yesterday. He sounds awful this morning so I let him sleep. And bad mom... my first thought is, "I'd better not get it!!"

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, what is BQ pace? And what is your pace plan for this upcoming race?
                        BQ pace is about 8:48. My race strategy is pretty simple. I'll do a short warm-up, less than a half-mile, just enough to get my legs moving a little, and do a gentle stretch. Then, when the race starts, I'll head out at a pace of 8:45 and try to hold it until the wheels fall off....The wind is forecast at 9-15mph – not too bad, but on those country roads there's nothing to slow it down coming across the fields. But the forecast looks to be mostly dry (so far), and for that I am grateful. Jlynne - what a fun training group! Tammy – it was my 2nd, actually, but thanks for the vote of confidence. Smile Breger – good idea...I do have it saved in digital... Perch – great news! {{{Erika’s DS}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Tammy – it was my 2nd, actually, but thanks for the vote of confidence. Smile
                          but wasn't it only your 2nd because you found out AFTER your first marathon that the course measured short due to some last minute re-routing? I was thinking it was the next 'accurately' measured marathon that you qualified for, right?

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, yes, you're right about that - my first marathon was measured more than a mile and a half short, due to last-minute rerouting to avoid floodwaters. So I did BQ at my first "full distance" marathon, when you look at it that way. But what happened to the next 3 marathons? Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BQ pace is about 8:48. My race strategy is pretty simple. I'll do a short warm-up, less than a half-mile, just enough to get my legs moving a little, and do a gentle stretch. Then, when the race starts, I'll head out at a pace of 8:45 and try to hold it until the wheels fall off
                              Holly, I know you're not supposed to say this to dancers, skiiers or runners, but break a leg!!! Good luck and I hope you get your BQ! We'll be anxiously waiting your RR.
                              evanflein

But what happened to the next 3 marathons? Roll eyes
                                Well, as I recall (this is fun), you ran those next marathons as more of training runs with the exception of Boston, which was just sort of unfortunate all around. And I believe your BQ time is actually 4:00:59 now, so you've got a little breathing room there. (not that you'll need it! Big grin )