Masters Running

Calling all Newbies 2/7/09 (Read 489 times)

dg.

Linda... thanks... I'm used to it. really. It does get in the way though, & if it really is what's causing me to keep pulling my hamstrings, wouldn't that be cool?! I was so glad to hear you got to exercise...I'm so sorry it bothered you!! ok... here. the way I'm bouncing off the walls, I'm obviously not using my patience. I'll send it to you.
      Deb, wow. Youre getting answers at least. We might have the same thing. Does it hurt to run? If so at what distance? Linda, should you be walking at all? I guess they dont cast those things. Kev, good luck on Thurs. Let us know how it goes. I took another week off running. Last PT session killed me. Yesterday was pain free. Today I am stiff and sore sitting on a heating pad as I write. I should have gotten off my butt last night and did some yoga and stretching but I was engrossed in a book and couldnt put it down. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Debbie - more patience is always good, lol... but actually I have found some other ways to relieve stress along the way. Otherwise, I'd just drive myself crazy! Laurie - well, uh, the doc said it would've healed a lot faster if I hadn't been on the foot at all. But, he said since its so far along he didn't think he needed to put me on crutches, and that I would know when I'd done too much. So, I think the foot was screaming at me to STOP after doing too much was all. So, I listened, I'm back to wearing the splint. Which really I think is what helped it heal. It seems to keep pressure off that part of the foot, and ligament from stretching too. It is feeling much better at this point than Saturday after one day of the splint.
        dg.

Kevin...good luck!!!!!!
          Rindaroo

Kevin - good luck with the procedure today!!!
            dg.

Laurie, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you before about the legs & injuries & so forth. What does your pt say? I can't imagine they haven't checked you for S/I problems.. but maybe not depending on your prescription. As far as mine go, yes, it does hurt to run, usually. The distance varies. There are a lot of different things going on so it's been a little hard to sort out. I'm really happy with the PT I started with Wednesday. She was specific about the S/I problems, & tied them to all, or at least most, of the other problems. Gave me a framework for running & other things so I know the spirit of the law & can apply it. Says I can run. yippee yippee. Carefully, not ramping up too fast, up to a 3 pain level. What do you think about who you're seeing? What methods are they using to treat you? Did they say heat is good? I hope this starts getting better for you soon. Linda, any magic methods that you want to share? Or you could email me. It's really frustrating you didn't know all of this before!! I know, it doesn't help to worry about it. i'm glad you're wearing the splint & that it's helping. sending major healing vibes your way. Kevin, be sure to let us know how you are!
                Hi, all. Hey, Teresa - didn't you walk/run a HM last year? What was that like for you? What were your running and walking intervals? I'm doing a 10M in early May and I know I'll be walking a lot and am starting to get anxious. Thanks! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, yes, I talked to Jeff Galloway at a lecture, and he told me to run 1 minute and walk 1 minute the entire way. Hurt my pride, but I'm glad I did it! My friend and I really RAN during the running portions. It was such fun! We got a timer off of Galloway's site that beeped. It was much easier than it sounds. We had NO problem starting the run or walk each time. Our pace was faster than if we'd run the entire way. He said it's important to start the run/walk from the very beginning of the race. The run/walk ratio depends on your pace, so that's why mine was 1:1. You can Google Galloway, go to his site, and figure out what your ratio should be. I highly recommend it! We felt great at the end of our very first HM. You'll do great!
                  Rindaroo

Debbie - to patience or relieving stress? actually I think they're related. For right now, I've been writing.. it seems to get all these thoughts out of my head, and into the right box. Then, its easier to be patient. make sense? I actually ended writing 50 pages of fiction, which actually turned out to be about me... but with fictional characters.. interesting how the mind works. So, I went to the asthma doctor yesterday & he was happy Smile & totally approved of me going off the meds. He asked me about running, and had to admit there wasn't much in the last year. He says wow you have been unlucky, haven't you? lol Then, he tells me, well you can bike, can't you?
                      Bumped into my old running partner today while meeting the club at the reservoir. She asked how my leg was healing and I updated her and said I was walking today. She said to me not to worry that not everyone was cut out to be a runner. This came from the most sensitive giving person I have ever known. I want to heal and run even more now. But for now I am going to climb under a rock and pretend she never said that. Will reply more tomorrow. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, my, Laurie, I'm sorry! The most senitive and caring person I know, upon hearing that my running was at a slow 13-minute pace after my injury, said, "Hmm, is that even running?" And he was serious! That took awhile to get over. Even sensitive people don't always say the wisest things! Hang in there!
                        Rindaroo

Yikes! Sorry both of you. They might be sensitive and giving about some things, but certainly weren't taking you're feelings into account I'd say. Hang in there! Luckily, running isn't really about what others think anyway, its a very personal activity. In my case, a journey. Look it took me almost 5 years to conquer the stupid asthma, but I've done it. Tons of people told me I shouldn't be running, but I'm glad I didn't listen. Now, just to get the rest of the body to cooperate. Hang in there!!
                            Thanks, Teresa. I checked Galloway's site back in the middle of the winter when I was totally burned out on running, getting slower, more tired, blah, blah, blah. I've been doing walk/run for probably two months now and am actually having fun running again. Did my first-ever 10-mile training run yesterday - ratio in miles 1 and 8-10 was 1:1; for the rest, I ran 1:15 and walked 1:0, 'cause that's what felt right. I'm seven weeks out from the 10-mile race, so I'm going to keep doing the run/walk and see what interval feels right on race day. Sorry about the unintended discouraging comments from the apparently sensitive people. Linda put it well - it's such an individual thing, we can each set our own goals and celebrate our own successes regardless of how that compares to others' expectations. Many, many folks would think my 10-miles-in-just-over-two-hours yesterday was pathetic, but it was a HUGE accomplishment for me. Hang in there! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Eliz--the good thing is that you won't find that around here, and the people that don't run can't know enough about it to matter. when I was running I may have run faster than your pace, but i still haven't gotten anywhere near 10 miles yet, so WTG. we're all proud of you. Smile yes, running is really a personal journey. There certainly are a lot of people around here that I would love to emulate and have their speed and miles, but I know that my comfort and/or ambition levels don't match theirs, so I know I'm not likely to be there. it's not even a matter of skill levels--I ran low 5 min/mile when I was in college, so I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to run low 7's/ high 6's now. Pretty good chance I never will. And it doesn't bother me (TOO much, anyway) So I am generally happy with my minor improvements and the fact that I'm enjoying myself and have made such a good connection with such a nice and supportive group of people. and speaking of nice and supportive people, thanks for all your good wishes. I am doing great. In fact, so well that I find it hard to believe that I'm supposed to be taking it easy for another 5 days. My heart rate has dropped back into the low 50s from well over 60 and the only real after effects are two stiff groins (i had 3 catheters on one side and 2 on the other) and a low level ache in the chest, both of which are decreasing steadily. I do have some rather spectacular bruising and interesting shaving patterns that will preclude my wearing a speedo for several months Wink The sacrifices one must make Wink I think I may be on the road sooner than I had hoped. If everything goes as well as the docs have said, I should be able to get rid of a few of the meds that I am taking with in a couple of months. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Deb, I might have asked this before but my memory is failing. What is SI? My PTist thinks I am not resting enough inbetween workouts and keep aggrivating it. I tend to agree as I dont know what rest is. I like my PTist's. I see three of them. They all three bring different treatments and perspective to it which I like. They do use heat nearly each time. So many methods but it boils down to stretching, strengthening, manipulating the joints and muscle. From what I gather you got answers on yours and a program for recovery that includes running. Cool. Are you swimming too? I probably asked that at one point too. Eliz, there you are! Yes you are running too. Everyone runs at their own pace. 10 miles?! Awesome. No one should think that is pathetic whatever your pace is. Jeez, I would be impressed with 10 miles of slow walking. YOure the man. Or should I say youre the ma'am? Or should I just shut up? hehehe. Theresa, I dont know about the run/walk. Dont you feel like you are a slave to the watch? I just want to set it and forget it. Get into my groove and just enjoy running without looking at the watch. Linda, I want to read it. Hey thats how JK Rowling got started out. You could be next. Such good news about the breathing. Kev, wow! Best news I have had all day. We will wait for speedo season then. Just post a pic when you can. lol. I ran 21 mins Friday. Hey thats a runner isnt it?! I know I have been plagued by hamstring injuries over the last two years but I did have a few successful strong years before it. A runner I will be! I might not ever be a strong runner but I will be a runner. Darn it all. Anyone heard from Mike? Maybe we should email him. Maybe he met a woman and thats where all his time is going. Laurie