Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.30.14 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone. Good bye, June.

Great photos of gorgeous kids, Mike. Nice job on a tough run yesterday. Mornings come at just about the right time for me...

Congrats on your longest 'comeback' run so far, Ribs.

Nice weekend tri, Deeze, with biking on Saturday and run/swim yesterday.

Congrats on joining the Sunday hill crew, Stumpy.

I'm glad you had a Claire visit, TomW - sounds like a good time.

Sorry about the crud, Enke. I hope it passes soon. Good luck and have fun with the Doors.

Why didn't I get the "eating and reading" memo that Dave and LaT got???

I hope the missing eggs show up, Holly. And I hope you'll let the boss know about the extra weekend hours that you put in to keep up with the work load, and that you won't keep doing that if you don't get paid for it. Meanwhile, nice new ride!

Nice hillypalooza for you too, Wildchild. And thanks for the prime chart. Looks like I'll miss again this month.

Mariposai, you and EP ALWAYS have fun days! You set a good example of how to live right.

Nice 'accidental' ice cream stop, Steve. The concert sounds like fun, even if not as promoted. Good luck with the car repairs.

Sounds like a great run/swim, Mustang Sally!

It's always good to know what went right and what didn't go so well on a run, Evanflein. I'm sorry you're run wasn't better, but am glad there were lessons learned.

You can be 'prime too, Tet!

After my 5K yesterday, I put the racks on the car, and DW and I went kayaking in a tidal inlet at mid-day. We timed it as the tide was changing, so we had the tide with us in both directions and got to just drift and relax a bit. After we got home and washed down and put away the boats, we spent the rest of the afternoon doing yard work. I finally finished one mulch pile, and will start on the other one this afternoon. Thankfully, we had dinner plans with neighbors last night, so we had an excuse to stop working before we completely exhausted ourselves. The  'boing' that I felt in my thigh in yesterday's race is not bad, but is still there, so it is a good thing today is an SRD.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Aamos joined the hillypalooza gang too! I guess I didn't get that memo either...

So close to 'prime,' Deeze!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good Monday gang. what a great weekend we all had.

Mustang Sally what is the name of your favorite park? I started and ended my day at a lake too, but I did not swim.

I already have a prime number as my total for the month, so I am taking a much needed TOTAL day off.

Here is to a short week at work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

After that "long" run yesterday and the race Saturday my legs were dead today, so just put in 3.5 miles at the park.  Tomorrow will be better.

Today in the Dallas Morning News I wrote about positive attitude and how dangerous it is to let negativity get in the way of achieving goals.  It's insidious and I see it all the time. I've been guilty of it myself often enough.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/06/henry-ford-believes-youll-set-a-new-pr-and-win.html/

Spareribs

Dave59

Good article Ribs.  I was reading something yesterday about brain patterns actually be changed by changing your thinking.

I understand your taking off from writing, that can't be easy, but what's with ignoring Facebook too?  That is a brainless activity that takes about 3 minutes a day.  (It's how I know what my daughters are up to.)

Well, I was out for 4 humid miles this morning.  Feels good to sweat like a Houstoner again.  I'll be running a 10k on the Fourth.  I've been to this race 10 times.  Twice each on the 5k and 20k, and 6 times for the 10k.  In 2010 I needed foot surgery for compartment syndrome after running the 20k.  I was developing a blister and spent the last 4 miles trying to avoid landing on the bad spot.  I would not recommend that to anyone else.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya and Good Afternoon, east coasters, at least......

Well, good times in the Big Apple, that's all I'll say.  (I thought last night's comment was ok as it involved running, stoopid running, but running.)

Speaking of, Erika, I wouldn't say what you did was stoopid.  I really appreciate you posting, as I know I always learn most from the things I do that,  in retrospect, seem stoopid to me.  That was an excellent run the day before, the 7:57 pace one.   Maybe some of the problem, along with the heat, was some residual  "something" (a little tired?  less focus?) stemming from that effort.

Oh yes, I loved the "accidental" ice cream stop too, Jay & Steve.

Today on my morning run, I heard this from our local NPR announcer on my radio: ""it's 80 degrees at 6:40."  OK, that's it; I MUST get myself out there at Jay 0'Clock.  8.7 miles at 9:13 pace.  Once I heard "80," I was not going to hit any speed goals, that's how my donkey brain works!

Yes, Mari, to a short week!

Ribs, let me know about August 15th.  It's a Friday and I should be hanging out in the Dallas airport from mid am to a little after lunch.  So neat if we could get together, albeit briefly!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Thanks, Aamos. I just wish I had better internal pacing to slow down on those days when I know I'm heading out already tired. Part of my problem with yesterday's run was going too damn fast. But I also got pretty dehydrated and maybe suffering some heat effects. When DH met me at about 11 miles (brought me cold Nuun... yes I'm so spoiled!), he commented that it looked like I'd stopped sweating. Uh oh. Paid close attention and took some breaks after that. I was plenty sweaty by the time he picked me up.

Ribs, thanks for that. I do a lot of arguing and cajoling with myself on some of these runs. Not sure who wins.

Tetsujin, no, the record for June rainfall here was I think in 1949, but we might pass that this year. We've got another deluge forecast for this evening into tomorrow morning. The forecast for the 4th of July weekend though looks nice. You're thinking of August 1967 when we had the big flood. Not sure if that was even a record month though, just too much too soon all at once. By the way, the Corps of Engineers built our flood control project, and the gates have been lowered a couple times this month to divert water away from town. It goes into the big reservoir area out past North Pole, where we run the half marathon later in the summer. A few years ago it was so wet they moved the course to roads and we did three laps of a 5k loop, then an out and back to get 13.1. What a boring course! Normally we run through the low part and up and down off the dykes. I wonder what this year will be like?

No prime for me. I'd have to just run 3.3 today, and I plan on closer to five. At least I've got my 200 for June already!

Oh ya - I WILL be running 0.2 miles of my walk from the Brigham to the Fenway after work to get that prime number!!  Almost forgot!!

oh and I signed up for the Philly Marathon last night - price goes up tomorrow so who else is on board?

denise

It's supposed to go up to 93F tomorrow.....really??

Went out for 4.3 miles this morning, about 58F, cool humidity.  Nice.  Only felt yucky the first two miles as my lungs are not 100%, but then things felt fine later.

Enjoy the last day of June!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jay, nice 5K race.  Mike, there sure are a lot of good looking kids in those pictures.  TomW, always good to hear about a Claire visit.

Nice long runs for Tramps, Mike, deez, wild, and evan.

This morning, it was in the low 70s, there was a light wind, and it was pretty humid.  I managed 5 miles at an 11:00 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Quick follow up to Dave and Aamos:  people are different when it comes to FB. Some check in every now and then; others lurk.  I'm an obsessive user.  I thought it was important to get away from it for a bit. I find myself doing some task or other, and then in a lull checking in on FB. It's a needless waste of time I could devote to other things.  One thing I miss is seeing how my running friends are doing, so I don't need to post all the time, but I do like to learn about what's new with others.

Aamos, I am holding August 15th, mid-day time frame and would love to see you.  The Saint works part-time in a yarn store in Dallas and always works Fridays, so I doubt she'll join us, but I'm happy to buzz over there and keep you company.  As EK can tell you, I'm ten minutes away.

Thank you for the comments on the blog.  That woman I mentioned who ran the 1:14 half  two weeks ago in Duluth to qualify for the Olympic Trials is a wonderful lady.  She and I chatted on Saturday at the race and I asked her about her workout routine.  Every Sunday she runs 18 miles at 6:40 pace.  Gives me the shivers.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Most excellent article and reminder, ohh wiseone.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good afternoon everyone. I have certainly missed a lot and don’t know if I will catch up to speed or not.  What I do know is that I need to figure out my totals for the month to see what prime number I can aim for today. MikeE, your grandkids are adorable! I did see that Hopeful Mary is back, hiya!

We got home from vacation late Saturday afternoon.  I had to drive one of the boats up and back so had to stay awake. Yesterday we got stuff put away then spent two hours floating on the lake in the ski boat.  There were 25 of us from two families at the resort Up North. With 10 little ones to keep an eye one there was not much sleeping at the beach, or in the boat.

My attempt at an open water lake swim was a disaster.  First off, I forgot my goggles so bought some cheap ones at Wal-Mart. A niece who is a swimmer said she’d go with me. I really didn’t expect the cold water to suck the life out of me like that!  Could.not.breathe! Seeing all the weeds at the bottom of the lake creeped me out, yuck! We did two loops out and around the floating trampoline, quite a bit of it was backstroke. It might have been close to ¼ mile but I’m not sure.

We had mostly sunny days with a couple coolish, cloudy days. MrStarr surprised me and brought his bike after all so we went to town to ride the Heartland Trail a couple of times. He did three miles with me one day then let me ride 12 miles by myself and picked me up at the next town with the car.   I ran a couple of times, but just a 4 mile route.  I did pretty good not eating the snacks and cookies we brought. Lemon bars are my weakness and I had a few of those and 1 monster cookie. Still, am down 2 pounds for the week, that’s a first for me for a vacation week.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Greetings everyone!

No running today, giving the legs off..Ran 5 the past few days in heat and humidity..

Met Marj after work for a run along the river - it was a wonderful run and the company was even better

Starr - I have been swimming Walden Pond for decades - there are some years, when the first time in, sounds exactly like what you just described. The next time will be much better!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

mrrun

Met Marj after work for a run along the river - it was a wonderful run and the company was even better

Met LaT +++++++++