Masters Running

Tuesday, Feb. 10, Runs, songs and stories (Read 566 times)

I wouldn't normally run and post today since I ran yesterday but I needed to adjust my schedule. My daughter got a couple of tickets to the MSU/UofM basketball game tonight and I will be going with her. Since I will be up later than usual, spend the night at her apartment, and hurry home tomorrow for an early eye appointment, I don't see a run as likely tomorrow. bike, it's great to read about you having several runs that felt good. We all understand the excitement of getting out there after being off for awhile. Nice long run, Peter, and good job on the speedwork, Holly. This morning, it was about 40° and there was some wind. I got in 5 miles in about 48 minutes for a 9:37 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
      Me, me me me - I ran in shorts today! Actually, it was in the mid 50s and felt warm to me even in short sleeves and shorts. It is going to take some acclimating when the weather warms up again. I wish that I could post as greta a PBJ Special as Tramps - wowza! - but mine was a mere 1:00:30 and not embedded in the middle of a longer run. I did run the first three as warm up and then did some fartlek bits for the next three miles, then two miles cool down. I think the fartlek miles were in the 7:10 range with about half of them at a faster pace and half recovery. I am having a hard time figuring out the right pace on these though - I think I'm running too fast, at least for the shorter fartlek bits (like 2 mins). I probably need to get out to the track and run some 800s to get a feel for the right tempo pace. EGH, I'm very sorry to hear that you've had to pull out of your marathon and half marathon for the spring. I would definitely get an MRI to rule out a stress fracture. That could very well be why it is not improving. If so, you will need a good 8 weeks off it to heal it up. On the bright side, it's good you are getting back into lifting. Tim, great to hear that you are feeling so good. I am sure that your big base, plus all that pool running (remember that?) helped to keep your aerobic system fit. Peter, great to see you back out running and solidly on the mend from the flu. Econo, I am sorry to hear that you are down and out with the flu. I woudn't attempt 21 miles until you are sure you are better. When is your spring marathon? Mary, you do seem to have been somewhat overdressed today! We had that south wind this morning but no snow to cool it down. It was quite warm by the time I finished my run. As much as I want it to warm up, I am not looking forward to hot summer running. Have a great day everyone,

Once a runner . . .

Good morning all Singing, running, lifting...and even some running! I walked 4 miles morning with snow and ice melting all around me. I am all packed now and ready to head to the airport for a trip to Dayton. See you soon Holly! Thanks for all the nice words the other day folks! Healing vibes to all who need them. CNYrunner
        dg.

good morning, Karl, Smile. I've been thinking about some double days but wasn't sure. I'm sold! Wink Sue, thanks. It will be ok, but it sure will be nice to run & have it not hurt! I'm glad your tempo run went well. I bet it did feel good. Speaking of injuries... I'm going to see http://www.bodyspecs.net/About/AboutSkip.html today at 5:30 for a free injury evaluation. I several people have told me he's really good. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say. A cut back week for me too, even though my weekly mileage doesn't equal 1 SRL LR. Roll eyes I don't know if my reasons are as valid as those mentioned yesterday, but looking at my log I"ve had a steady increase for a few weeks, so it seemed like it was time. This is just about the place I always crash. Well, I'm already sort of crashed but am heading in the other directon.. maybe this will help! So, just 4 miles today at a 9:30 pace. I think. my polar has officially lost it. my first mile was 17;**, the second was 18 or 19. I forget. After I noticed it I watched the lap clock to get some kind of idea what I was doing. I think 9:30 is close enough. Oh,, my hr for my w/u walk... I think average was 171, 207 max. Then I di d 22 min. on the bike, & 23 min. of lower body weight machines. I think I'm tired. When I got on the bike I started to try & put my seat belt on. Embarrassed. happy Tuesday!

"older but not dead yet"

Ran 7 miles starting slow and then getting slower. Booked my flight to San Francisco in Mar. for the Kaiser 12K! Smile Since the title mentions stories, I thought of Dr. George Sheehan, the famous runner/writer/cardiologist who lived in Red Bank, NJ. I had the good fortune of doing quite a few races with him here in NYC when he was in his prime vis a vis writing for Runner's World. Matter of fact, when I look at Spareribs' pic, he reminds me of George. I was in my 30's racing at 6 min. pace and George was right there all the time! He was in his late 50's I think? And always ahead of us racing at 5:40ish pace was George Hirsch, publisher of the then popular Runner magazine. He too was an older guy. Both had light-boned frames and could fly. George had an interesting habit of saying "Oh, my God!" when he was out-breathing. People who didn't know always thought hhe was in trouble bnut this was really his racing mantra. Once, a young kid came up behind me, asking if that old man was in trouble. The older veteran guys around me just laughed and told the kid to go ahead and ask him if he needs helps. As soon as the kid caught up to him, George found another gear and blew him away!!! Big grin Alex (BTW, deadlifts are great for runners! )
            Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

King of PhotoShop

Shorts here today also (not the white sport coat I mentioned earlier), as it is mid-60's and kind of humid. 4.5 easy miles followed by flexibility workout at the Y. EGH, sorry to hear that, but sounds like the right call. You will be back. Spareribs
              TammyinGP

Ribs, Once you told me long ago To the prom with me you'd go Now you've changed your mind it seems Someone else will hold my dreams A white sports coat and a pink carnation I'm in a blue blue mood. I'm all dressed up for the dance I'm all alone in romance {sigh} heading to the gym at lunch time . . . a few lonely miles on the TM for me. Tim, so so glad to hear that your running comeback has been successful for you. Still need to be cautious and not overzealous, but certainly sounds like you are on a solid road to recovery.

Tammy

Lou - it's always nice to see wildlife on runs I spooked three turkeys once, scared the heck out of me when the flew off yes! Turkeys can fly...they make a racket when they do too!!!
                  I don't know -- I saw that episode of WKRP in Cincinnati and I'm pretty sure turkeys can't fly. Hey it was on TV so it has to be true, right? Tongue

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Slo

I don't know -- I saw that episode of WKRP in Cincinnati and I'm pretty sure turkeys can't fly. Hey it was on TV so it has to be true, right? Tongue
                    Not knowing if your serious or not but: Domesticated turkeys raised for your dinner table don't fly because they've gotten to big. Wild Turkeys do fly and they make one helluva racket taking off. They're usually nested in trees above your head. Less Nessman out.
                    TammyinGP

if WKRP says they don't fly, then it must be true. It came from the black box afterall. . . but in my world, which keep in mind is not the reality TV world, so it must all be make believe, wild turkeys fly, especially when being chased by my two dogs. It's actually quite humorous. Except the one time the two dogs barricaded the wild turkey in front of our door, the turkey tried to fly away but didn't have enough clearance prior to take off and went face first into the brick retaining wall, was momentarily paralyzed, or shocked, and then made another attempt at escape . . . this time successful. But again, that little episode did not take place on the black box, therefore was not reality, and was all a part of the virtual pretend world I live in. Tongue

Tammy

xor

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. I got chased by wild turkeys at a race in January (the Nookachamps half marathon here in WA, which I simply call "Nooky").

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

no, it's pigs that fly Smile Peter.. think of those weeks as "Stepback" weeks not "Setback" weeks ... ahhh much better Smile WTG Tramps on the PBJ!! Yea Tim! Mary... 45 degreees... shorts and teeee for meeee Cool 4 miles at 9:38 pace with Tory (AHR 138) then 6 mi at 8:11 pace (AHR 150) Overall 10 miles in 1:27:30 (8:45 pace, AHR 144).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
                            One of the funniest moments on any tv show of any era. I laugh just thinking about it. MTA: I did see a wild turkey fly. On Thanksgiving day no less. It flew from the roof of a neighboring house about 30 feet in the air to a nearby tree. Wouldn't have believed it unless I'd seen it. More like a flying leap but 30 feet is 30 feet.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Oh, the humanity I agree--one the funniest moments that sticks with me, Actually, wild turkeys are very good fliers, upwards of 50MPH. And Ben Franklin wanted the turkey as the national bird, instead of the eagle, which he considered a scavenger. Studying wildlife biology gets you a whole new set of useless, but fascinating knowledge. Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

EGH3 having to pull out of the races is a drag, boy do I know! But, as with nearly all running injuries the good news is that it will heal and you will be back. From the spring through the fall we have packs of wild turkeys around our house. They can "fly" but it is incredibly comical! Generally, they need a good running start to get airborne. The running to get up to takeoff speed is quite comical too! After you see their antics over time you soon realize these critters are the ultimate bird brains. If they have an IQ over 3 I would be stunned. biketm good to see all that enthusiasm in your running reports.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/