Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 12.23.14 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm just chicken in this morning to say how happy I am to see Amy back on the forum! Now I can check you off the "worried about" list.

It's great to see Marj having fun on the beach down south. Henry was probably at a near-by bar, listening to some smooth jazz...

Lots of good baking going on too! Oh, and some running as well..  Speaking of that, sorry about the wash-out, Tet, but you handled it with your usual even-keeled grace.

DW and I were talking about upcoming conferences we have to exhibit at next year, and I realized that our big one, over Memorial Day weekend, will be in Seattle. We usually have precious-little free time, but there might be enough to sneak in a mini-meetup, if anyone's willing.

Last night, DW and I made dinner for our hosts. DW cooked a very tasty pork roast, and I made these roasted veggies in a wok:

We had a nice wine with dinner, and some locally-made gluten-free chocolate-chip mint cookies for dessert. Then we sat by the fire and let 3-month old Reagan entertain us, which she does so well! Our hosts decided they will come to NH for New Year's, joining another family of 4 who will be arriving at our place next Tuesday. It'll be a blast! But first, we have to get through Christmas. So today is another travel day for us, heading down to Long Island, NY. It should be an easy trip, except we have to skirt around NYC and all its traffic. Ribs, if you remember the roads, I think I'll take the NY Thruway to the Tappan Zee Bridge, and then go across White Plains to the Hutch, and take that down to either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone bridges.

No workout today: The combination of spitting, freezing rain, and local roads with no shoulders where people drive faster than I'd like made it easy to decide to try (but fail) to get some extra sleep.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

5.1 miles this morning.  33° and rain.  Only one other guy showed up for this morning's run.  It is where you separate the men from the boys (or the cats).

The Argyle Sweater is just killing me the last couple days:

http://assets.amuniversal.com/6622a0f067a90132b61b005056a9545d

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Jay - that looks lovely!

Dave - 

Tammy - those sound yummy!

6.2 miles for me this morning in an unexpected 48 degrees!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

43 degs for us Holly...Tough to beat!

6.8 cruise control miles.

All else is quiet...some last minute shopping to do, Holiday spirits to pick up...maybe a nap!

C-R

Morning everyone.

Thats a nice looking spread Jay. Makes me glad its lunch time here.

Nice Dave.

Glad to see Amy back. Yay.

Ran a nice 8 this morning with one of our masters race team guys along the canal. Very humid here and the mist was hanging in the water. Very serene.

Time to stack some firewood and start in the new floor in the exercise room.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

it's been downright balmy here in the low 60's and quite humid!  but by Christmas we should be back in our normal 40s.

got our new heatpump installed yesterday. wow, what a difference. hope the power bill reflects a huge difference also.

david is on break now and got in a good run yesterday. 5 in the a.m. and 5 more about 4 hrs later. he's trying so hard to get to 1000 miles this year but i told him he'd be foolish to try and push it because he still has about 50 miles to go and i don't want him setting himself up for an overuse injury and deal with that.

after today, i'm off work until Monday. tonight is all about baking and getting the appetizers prepped for tomorrow. But tomorrow, family/friends don't come over til 3:00 so still have plenty of time tomorrow also.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

DW and I were talking about upcoming conferences we have to exhibit at next year, and I realized that our big one, over Memorial Day weekend, will be in Seattle. We usually have precious-little free time, but there might be enough to sneak in a mini-meetup, if anyone's willing.

Yay, Jay, . . .nice chicken, or Yay, Yay as you’ll hear if there’s any chance for someone <<<(thatwouldbeme):>>> to take you down to the docks and the fleets of Scandinavians getting ready to sail north for the summer fishing.
                Are you coming out for the Monster-Truck Festival?

I bet those veggies would taste good wtih some king and dungeness crab, rich-and-omega oily king salmon, juicy halibut, plus some other special local delicacies you’d probably like too.   No matter what, find time on Sunday for Ivar's Acres of Clams all-you-can-eat smorgasbord of more-kinds-of-seafood-you-ever-knew-there-were.

The local mecca of almost 24/7 running at Green Lake is only two miles away from the Convention Center and long has awaited a race-walk clinic.  Do you have a national RW association with RW’ers out here to help organize?  I’d be happy to help do the honors but my gang won’t get much benefit from any advice on RW shoes. Smile

ps - I hope to be doing a lot of walking over the Memorial weekend if it works out. <<<(Pigtails100-mile)>>>.

pps dave - we might have some runs out here you might like.

we were most definitely Pavlovian in this weekend's rainy and cold Pigtails Marathon

to the point it didn't even seem strange that my fingers wouldn't move any more.

5.1 miles this morning.  33° and rain.  Only one other guy showed up for this morning's run.  It is where you separate the men from the boys (or the cats).

ppps tammy - tell david to savor each and every of his 950 miles in 2014 and look forward to breaking 1,000 miles next year instead of this year.  good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

The boss just emailed everyone to tell us we can have tomorrow and Friday off - Yippee!!  I was already taking a vacation day Friday, but now I don't have to use my vacation time, and now have tomorrow off too!

Hmmmm....I wonder if this is a substitute for a Christmas bonus......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Aamos, good to hear from you and that you did a 10K.

Last night, the weather people were forecasting rain, cold, wind, and icy roads for this morning.  I had resigned myself to the TM.  However, the temp went up to the mid 30s, the rain ended overnight, and, except for a couple rare spots, the roads weren't icy.  There was a little wind but not a lot.  I got in 8 miles (outside like I prefer) at an 11:44 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Well, the news isn't what we hoped for but I guess the surgeon was worried it would be worse.  It looks like lymphoma - won't have final path results for about a week but that is what the initial path reports indicate.

Thank you for keeping Nicholas in your prayers and thoughts.

denise

Oh gosh Denise----so, so sorry and of course hopeful that the surgeon's thinking means a swift path to remission and recovery. Sending you lots of love. You are relentlessly and wonderfully positive and supportive for all of us here. We will certainly return this energy and faith for you and your family.

deez4boyz my very best wishes to your DS for a complete remission.

Holy S. very nice!

I have started cooking a few items for Christmas dinner.  in running news, I will likely be making friends with my TM tomorrow.  It is supposed to just pour here!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Denise--Nicholas will definitely be in my prayers.  Please keep us updated.

Mariposai

Well, the news isn't what we hoped for but I guess the surgeon was worried it would be worse.  It looks like lymphoma - won't have final path results for about a week but that is what the initial path reports indicate.

Thank you for keeping Nicholas in your prayers and thoughts.

I am so sorry to read this. Be strong my dear sistah.

Tamster, enjoy the baking!.

Enkie, how are you?

Marj, my shero, once again stole my heart with her picture.

Dave59, good for you for showing up tonight.

Jay, pass on that veggie tray.

Holly, enjoy your gift of 5 day weekend, even if it comes without the end of the year bonus!

Speaking of gifted hours, I was gifted today with an hour of running at Jay O clock. I took a route that I do not normally take, sans my running partner I felt a little bit afraid. 6 miles total for the day.

My days have been Topsy turby since last Saturday when I spent over 3 hours talking back home with my sisters, doctors and nurses about my father's health. My papa is very, very ill and I am flying to Paraguay this Saturday on an emergency trip to be there with my family and see my papa. This is an emergency trip as I said, think big dollars ticket price, but my papa gave me his hours of sweat for years to educate me and provided for me graciously through my whole life and now it is my time to give back. My papa is my idol, papa Pilo is a magnificent man and  every penny spent on that ticket is worth it (bye, bye running budget for next year, welcome warm last hugs from papa).  My Facebook friends, I am keeping this off that page for HIPPA reasons, my father wants it that way.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve a-la Paraguayan style at my house, you all are welcome.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Holly, I'd be sure to get what sort of "leave" you're supposed to use in writing. Did he send an e-mail or memo? If so, keep it. Nice to have the extra time off!

Best wishes to you, Nancy, and your family as you go to be with your father. Enjoy the time with your sisters and family.

Nice looking veggies there, Jay. That's the sort of side dish I can appreciate!

Tammy, are you ready for David-as-Coach? Sounds like it could be challenge! Enjoy, I'm really envious that he's taken such an interest in your running.

This week was supposed to be a pretty quiet week to spend catching up on things and cleaning up my office a bit. Ha! It's been really busy with last minute contracting issues, employee problems, followup on requests from my boss, and so on. Seems like it never ends. I really do want to make headway on my office though, it's really such a cluttered mess. I'm dealing with files and documents from me and two predeccesors and it's taken me three years to get as far as I have (which, if you'd seen the starting point, is impressive if I say so myself....), but I have so much more to go before my office looks like I want it to.

5.4 miles tonight in a couple inches of fresh dry fluffy snow and 2°F temps.