Masters Running

Weds 7/30...thinking about Mr Ribs, and runs and such (Read 458 times)

Holly--I had a groin injury that had me sidelined for a long time and I think I was a very crabby girl. Angry You are in comparison ever so much sunnier and upbeat. I'm so impressed with your attitude, and your cross training! Keep it up, be patient, and you'll be out there. I was hurt in the fall, and it just killed me, all those perfect for running days that I had to watch everyone else skimming along.....I can still feel how grouchy I was, ouch! {modified to add--and this was in 2003!} Ribs, all the best, you know we will be awaiting the updates. D's doc did the same thing with the phone updates, which was wonderful--I didn't have to pace the waiting room but could be out and about doing things. Good getting it done now--you will be jogging before October. Do we need a Boomer Reunion to look forward to? (To which we can look forward?) Twocat -- I know, I'll walk around Staten Island holding your article up (and I'll be wearing something with Red Sox insignia, of course, as well) so we'll be sure to find each other. Karen, you are amazing, I agree. 3.2 miles for me this morning in 30:20--ran a loop that goes uphill for about .6, then down for .5 or so, 3 times. I started using the heartrate monitor, so I now appreciate all of you who post that number as well, thanks! Mine average 134 and max was 164. Gadgetgirl here. Blush grins, A
    Masters 2000 miles
    TammyinGP

no run for me today. Working all day, then taking our son and going to the Tower of Power concert this evening. Our son has been invited as the band's special guest to attend soundcheck and be backstage before and after the show, so will be a fun evening. He even made up his own playlist for the band last night. . . in case they've been too busy to come up with one I guess. Wink

Tammy

I Can Go The Distance

Recovery day for me; 4 very slow and easy miles. Tim, my Garmin did come yesterday and I had no problem setting it up. I have it programed to do auto laps and auto pause. I used it at the track this morning and it was great to not have to worry about counting the laps. Tomorrow I will run out on the street and see how accurate my 6 mile course is. That is also the course I will use for my wave runs (two loops). I have also downloaded Sports Tracks. It is very cool. Much better than GTC software! Ribs: My thoughts and prayers will of course be with you and your wife tomorrow. When do Tim and I need to sign over those checks. Smile Aamos: What am I going to do about those Angels. I am already getting grief about how they have beat up on the Sox, I can't imagine what will it be like if they go all the way and win the World Series. Shocked Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

I decided to do some speedwork last night. I didn't know if I was recovered enough from the relay, but apparently I was. I drove to a high school track and found the first few gates locked. But I was determined. I walked the perimeter and eventually found a gate with a chain and lock. The chain was just loose enough that I could squeeze through. After talking to some relayers on the weekend about speedwork, I decided to try 8 x 1/2 mile reps with a 4 minute walk in between since I was aiming for about an 8:00 min/mile pace. (So roughly equal run and rest times) I've done this before, but only on a treadmill and it was awhile ago. I HAVE NEVER RUN ON A TRACK BEFORE. It was AMAZING, the rubberized surface, the LACK OF UNDULATION OR LOOSE WOOD CHIPS. 2 mile w/u @ 10:45 pace time (pace) 3:58 (7:57) 3:54 (7:49) 3:54 (7:48) 3:47 (7:36) 3:50 (7:41) 3:42 (7:24) 3:44 (7:30) 3:15 (6:31) I thought this was my last rep, so I went all out, hyperventilating, drooling... (0.52 mile) 3:45 (7:14) The 8th rep was my last rep, but my Garmin started beeping again, so I thought I miss-counted and did another rep. Got 9 for the price of 8. Sorry for using the Garmin on a track Ribs, I just didn't want to push buttons or have to keep count. I will use my watch next time. By the way, I am SHOCKED at that 8th rep. I skipped the c/d jog because it was a) dark, b) raining. I got home and when I was putting my daughter to bed she asked me "Why are we called human beans?" Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke! Big grin Too funny and sweet too. Congrats on some great relay racing---to Maraposai as well. I have relay envy! Lamerunner, I am just in Northampton, MA. Maybe we can connect at a race in the area in the future or something. Good luck with the training. I looked at the marathon there, but the timing doesn't work. I don't know that I can do this kind of mileage for much longer either. The window is still open, so I am going for it. Karin/CNYrunner
            lamerunner

Hi Tramps. I love the Whites. My husband grew up in Conway; we have access to a family lake place so we are in the area often. Kids ski race in the winter too. The 2:56 is ancient history.
                Aamos: What am I going to do about those Angels. I am already getting grief about how they have beat up on the Sox, I can't imagine what will it be like if they go all the way and win the World Series. Shocked Have a great day everyone. Bruce
                Ah yes, the Angels, yet another in the litany of reasons why life in California is so danged tough on y'all. {The script calls for the [Devil] Rays and the Angels to skewer each other, leaving the Sox standing amidst the wreckage, or didn't you read that far yet?} I went out to play with my heartmonitor in the heat (it's over 90 and the humidity is around 50%). 5.82 at 8:52 pace and heartrate averaging 149. AND I saw an albino squirrel earlier today when walking Frank (he saw it too, I swear it was real). I never saw an all white squirrel before, so I'm just guessing it's albino, no? grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

AND I saw an albino squirrel earlier today when walking Frank (he saw it too, I swear it was real). I never saw an all white squirrel before, so I'm just guessing it's albino, no?
                  Yes, that would be an albino squirrel. There's one that lives somewhere on the street where my babysitter lives, and I see it occasionally in the morning when I drop off DD before work. Thanks for the kind words earlier. Since you are actually one of my heros, it means a lot. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Roch, you and others would be interested to know that at Baylor they handle the waiting room issue a bit differently. They get the mobile phone number of the principal family member and call from the OR every 45 minutes to update on the procedure. This means that family members don't have to fear going to the rest room or cafeteria and worrying they will miss something. What a simple but caring idea.
                    In this era of lousy to non-existant customer care (or service), this family notification system is a shining example of what service should be all about. The folks at the Baylor hospital should be warmly congratulated...this is just wonderful. DickyG

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good luck dear nemesis old bones. We're cheering for you and will be checking for the timely updates more than looking for any race results was. I won't have any excuse except just being slow but count on me for some of your walking miles too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

When middle DS was 6, he had his tonsils out. About a week later, he started bleeding badly from his throat - scared us to death. You know it's serious when you get to the ER and they take you in right away! They were great about phoning me during the surgery to stop the bleeding. This is when we discovered that he, his brother, and sister all have Factor XI Deficiency, a rare bleeding disorder. It turns out the worst thing these kids could go through was a tonsillectomy! My 10k race is Saturday. Don't know how the ankle will do. I ran 4.1 miles on the treadmill this afternoon (couldn't take 80 degrees outside!), in 44:56. My ankle feels strained, but not painful, if that makes sense. I've got ice on it right now. I'm thinking I will run just a mile or so on Friday, and then go with the flow for the race.
                          Ribs - Be thinking about you and your wife tomorrow and checking in for the latest news. The best is yet to come. 3 easy miles with a few pickups. 400 meter pool swim.
                            My 10k race is Saturday. Don't know how the ankle will do. I'm thinking I will run just a mile or so on Friday, and then go with the flow for the race.
                            Teresa you must be running the Beach to Beacon on Saturday, correct? I'll be there as well and hoping for a course and 10K PR (41:02 or better)! I hope your ankle feels better and you have a great race, either way you'll have fun since this is just a great event. Big grin Today I did 6.01 miles at a fairly comfortably easy pace - 49:28 (8:14) it was 86 and not humid at all when I went out. I would rather have that than 70's and high humidity on Saturday morning but it isn't looking very promising right now. Sad Oh well we'll just have to go with the flow since we can't control the weather. Hey Ribs I'll be checking in tomorrow as much as I can to see how you are doing, take care may God bless and hold you in his arms...if he dares! Wink
                            Jlynne

Happy Wednesday Boomers. Haven't posted in quite a while - on the DL just like Holly. But, today is my 56th birthday so after two weeks of taking it easy, popping glucosamine chondroitin and drinking whey protein shakes, massages, acupuncture, etc. I decided to give it a go...couldn't even get four miles before the pain was so bad I had to stop and walk. So - for all of you running out there complaining about slow times, doing speed workouts, etc., put in a couple of miles for me. I'd give anything to be doing what you're doing. Cry Jeanne
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, mainerunnah! I hope you get your PR. My time last year was 1:19, so I should be able to beat that, even if I have to walk some! You're right, it's such a fun race that it's worth doing, no matter what.