Masters Running

Running Away (Read 65 times)

Today was a terrible day. One full of disappointment and of clear glimpses of my failures but I carried on. At home after work I stripped down from the manacles of my everyday life and put on my old friends; running shoes, shirt and shorts and my well worn mini iPod.

I headed up the street as the rain pelted down around me.  I felt alive as the tune from my ipod beat my eardrums to a pulp. My legs felt strong,  I felt strong. I pulverized my negativity. I could hear it scream for mercy as my strides got longer and my smile grew broader. Life was good again. No more running away! I was running back to where I started again. People in their cars must have been wondering if I was somewhat wrong in the head as I ran faster and launched my arms in the air so happy to feel so alive. The lightning lit up the sky as I hammered home, rejuvenated.

May you all feel so lucky. God bless running..

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Awesome post!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

Smile

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Great post.

I run mainly for my mental health also.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

wildchild

Carolyn

I had one of those awesome runs today too - one where I felt really alive and happy!  But my day was good to start with, and it wasn't raining, it was 55 and sunny.  It's extra special to have a great run when you've had a bad day.  Thanks for an inspiring post, Tall!  Running is such a gift.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great post, Tall.

TomS

coastwalker

Hi Tall,

Great description of what sounds like a necessary and rejuvenating run. And good for you for finding a way to work your way out of a terrible day.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Tall,

Running is super as it has that ability to change our attitude and put everything into a better focus.  Many a day after work, I've gone out for a run to change my mental attitude

May running continue to do that for you and everyone,

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sorry for whatever made it such a terrible day, but grateful that you had such a cathartic run.  Best wishes going forward that that feeling continues.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey Tall,

Don't get down on yourself - you raised a couple of awesome kids (not kids anymore, are they?)

Glad you had an endorph-run.  Those are the best.

I'll be getting up to Renfrew later this summer - perhaps a get together?

Take care.

PBJ

#artbydmcbride

Damn, I miss running without pain in my leg.  <envious>

Runners run

Great run Tall!  Thanks for sharing!!

((Ilene))

I can't wait to run next -- walked for an hour  Monday, walked a mile to work yesterday then pouring rain so no walk back to the garage.  Planned on getting up for a 5am run before work but wimped out with the thunderstorms and lightening Roll eyes  Will get in a run either after my 12 hour shift today or more likely tomorrow morning!!

Happy Wednesday friends!!

denise

Tall!  I needed this.  Actually, I haven't read any posts on RA for about 2 weeks now.  Life is too busy right now.  After tonight's orchestra concert is over I am looking forward to "running away".

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Thank you everyone it was an amazing run. Today my day was better! Lol

Recent Best times: None recently

Mariposai

T People in their cars must have been wondering if I was somewhat wrong in the head as I ran faster and launched my arms in the air so happy to feel so alive. The lightning lit up the sky as I hammered home, rejuvenated.

I got rejuvenated just reading this post!

Welcome back!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard