Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 8.16.14 (Read 39 times)

King of PhotoShop

Jay, Newburgh (note the h at the end) is 5 miles north of where I grew up in Cornwall, and if you have any time, go a bit farther south and visit West Point, home of the United States Military Academy, some of the most beautiful sites in the Hudson River Valley.  My son Hudson got his name from that area. Have fun.

The Saint and I raced a 5K this morning in Ft. Worth, paying way too much but it was for a great cause.  Hot day, breeze, fairly flat course along the Trinity River.  She has never broken 30 minutes for the 5K and as you know the story already, she is in superb shape from running with me every day since my surgery.

So I finish in 26:35 (2nd AG, which is important as you will see later) and I go get us two waters and go back out on the course to cheer or run her in, and when I don't see her I get really nervous and go back to the finish where she is sitting in the shade drinking water.  28:52 for her and first in AG.  She finished while I was fooling around getting water. I am so proud of her!

Of course all the way home we're joking about her first and my second, and listening to my playlist on my iPod through AUX connection, and "Don't Stop Believin'" plays and we just loved it.  Lesson:  Do the work and put in the miles, run with someone a tad faster than you, and you will improve.  I told her today this is just the beginning of some great running I hope to see from her in the fall.

But enough about me. Nice run with your son Mike E.

Tet, Dave and TW are today's suppliers of comedy. They'll be here all week.  Spareribs

Deez - congrats!  Pretty speedy!

The goading by Tet is amusing, keep it up!

SR - wow, I'm so proud of your wife too, that is great improvement.

Mike, yup, 4 hours is 4 hours.  It really does not go by faster, the faster you run, in fact, it goes by slower, the faster you run.

I did 10.4 miles with the running club.  "With" meaning they all took off faster than me, and turned around sooner, and I got lost on the way back - twice.  Gave me an extra 0.3 miles, so all good.  And I wanted to mention, that like some other people here, I often push an 8 or 9 mile run to 10 miles JUST so I can get a shout-out from Tom.  We are all co-inspirational, aren't we?

Big date tonight, and a hike tomorrow with Mr. C.  Hope it goes well.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Scroll to the bottom of this page.  Happy to see the Saint get some ink:

http://www.clinesrunningcorner.com/

Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Boy, for two people who are getting divorced, you sure do look happy together....

Ribs! The Saint! Deez! MikeE! All of you!

Sweet racing and also some media darling exposure too. Awesome!

Missed you all a lot, but only so much cyber time I could muster this summer. I was on FB a bunch and that's because that's where family and my team go, but I'll try and do better from this point forward. So....jumping back in I am.

A summer of milestones and new chapters ....! On the work front, business has been wonderfully good and a colleague and I bought the company from the founding principals of the consulting firm I’ve worked for 10 years. I’ve learned so much and becoming a business owner is exciting and intense. The other milestone started playing out yesterday as Mr. CNYrunner and the Kiddo pulled out of the driveway in the morning for the three-day drive to Missouri.  I’ll fly there tomorrow and we’ll reunite to move Kiddo into his dorm for freshman year at Mizzou.

A new beginning and an exciting chapter for all of us….and yes, I am weepy---joy and also missing him already.

Today’s run was all about continued preparation for the next milestone of turning 50 years-old and running 50 miles. I ran 31.37 miles in 4:29 and felt pretty strong throughout. My teammates joined in at times and provided great laughs, company, and made it all better.  The course was 10 loops of a three mile packed dirt and gravel trail that encircles a local reservoir---great terrain, gentle rollers, great views of Mt. Tom and the reservoir.  Turtles were sunning themselves along the bank at one spot, herons and cranes flew by at times, a few deer crashed through the woods. A good long run became a moving chatter and laughter fest. I've been on the road a lot for work and tend not to sleep well in hotels, so I've been logging lots of miles in the wee hours across the country. Looking forward to the "fun" in VT!

Happy date night Enke.

Always grateful and see you all soon and often.

wildchild

Carolyn

Sweet run with Ryan, Mike!  Yeah, you might have mentioned how much you like running with him...

Karin - yowza!   31+ miles in 4:29???   And you'll be in my AG, too, at Vermont...  Oh, well, you're the birthday girl, so I don't mind that you'll beat me by hours!  Hey - congrats on buying the company - good luck with that!  And hugs to you as you send Will off to college.  I wish you all the best with this next big chapter for all of you.

I ran 30 miles today, in 7:11.   Not even fast enough to stay under a 14mm pace, which is about what I'll need to make the 12 hour cutoff at VT.   But on the plus side, VT is much lower elevation and not as technical, from what I hear - mostly runnable dirt single track and dirt roads.  And VT has hills and we have mountains. I've never had to worry about beating the cutoffs at any other race, and I really hope I can make the cutoff at VT.   Anyway, here's the elevation profile for my run today - 3 laps on the Mule Deer Trail in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

For some reason, I feel slightly inadequate coming and reporting 4 miles this morning.  Of course it's not too difficult to figure with CNY and WC, for a variety of reasons.  Excellent runs, ladies.

good luck with Mr. C, Enke.  And nice 10+ for you, too.  (in case Tom2 misses you)   I'm stocking up on mentions, because I have 2 this week.

I would ask what the Saint's opinion of the headline is, but I don't want Ribs to fell picked on.  But nice racing for both of you.

anyway, 4 miles this morning.  It seemed to feel harder than the 5K on Thursday.  Of course, there was a lot less company.  Tommorrw i'm hoping for 12.  Tonight I went to look for new shoes.  I spent a while contemplating some Kinvarnas and newtons, but ended deciding to continue with the Pureflow line (#3).  But ended up without any as they didn't have the color I was thinking about.  I hope they find them, since it seems like it could be a pretty silly reason to pass up new shoes.

I can't believe I'm letting some old guy I never met talk me into running a half marathon.   Good luck tonight, Dave, whatever you decide to run.  Peer pressure can be a double edged sword at times.

Holly--I heard about submarine races when I was younger--does DH have ulterior motives?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Proving once again that my initials (DA) stand for dumb a$$, I switched to the half.  45 minutes until kickoff (or is it puck drop? )

Dave59

Holly--I heard about submarine races when I was younger--does DH have ulterior motives?

Holly is going to submarine races? I wonder if Cindy would fall for that? ??

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Proving once again that my initials (DA) stand for Daring Adventurer, I switched to the half.  45 minutes until kickoff (or is it puck drop? )

YAY DAVE!\!!

YOU ARE THE ONE!!!!!!
                      YOU'RE ON THE WAY!!!!!!!!

Good luck dave, especially if you can pull a face plant
                      or something and draw some blood in your nocturnal
                      navigating to show the trail-goddesses
                      we have someone on the guy side
                      as fearless as they are.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thought I'd posted here this morning, but apparently not (not an unusual occurrence to not remember stuff like that either!). Anyway, I ran 8 this morning on the usual rail-trail with the usual buddy. Another day of IRC, but that will come to an end soon as it heats up back closer to normal. Besides, next Saturday is the Crim and that means it will be the hottest, muggiest day of the summer!

Nice to see you back here, Karin. You sure haven't lost anything since your last visit! Maybe a distance runoff between you and wildchild?

Looking forward to a down day tomorrow and then back to the regular running schedule on Monday.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

Dave's doing the half?!!!!  Is he crazy?  It's dark out!  He's sleepy!  He could fall!  Why in the world would he ever think of doing a half marathon at this time of night?!

Wow, Karin...that was a great run, today....you seem a little more ready than I am.

wild--nice run for you, too.  I'm sure you'll be fine with the cutoffs....if they have a profile elevation like that...I'll just stay in the car.

Dave59

Humid night. Fingers wrinkled. 2:08:43. Exceeded expectations. Stayed awake the whole race. Glad I switched. Thanks Tet.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ah well, another ho-hum night in RA-land.

GOOD JOB DAVE!

most excellent.

ps karinny - are the runnin' rusie's joining the VT 50 too?

Hope they bring you out here to the PNW sometime, especially

since we expect to start seeing wildchild every once-in-a-while

to visit her UW DD too.

pps erika - what's the elevation there?

have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

(((((Abby)))))

Nice crib Roch. I've spent many a happy day on Harsen's Island.

If the sand dunes along Lake, MI had feelings, Tet. They'd miss your feet beating them down.

Mr Clooney did a pretty fair Batman. So nothing but great tidings.

All this talk about falling down made me realize that Enke has not been posting about crashes as of late. Very cool.

DD#2 and her boyfriend....SO.....room mate....soul mate...baby daddy...what ever the hippy kids are calling it these days, (Is "former fiance" the right term? They were engaged until she got pregnant, then they decided to slow things down.) asked DW and I to dog set Honey and Achilles (his husky). They had an all day birthing class. DD#2 treated DW to a mani-pedi. Seriously, how much does sandpaper and nail polish cost? I could have done that and saved 1/2 a car payment.

Oh yeah...running. Tag and I did quick errands while it was still pouring rain. When it started letting up, we picked up the other two dogs and looked for new trails with much success. The temps were cooler, we had buckets of rain and were running near the Manistee River. I wasn't concerned about keeping the Honey and Achilles hydrated. We wound back and forth and found several nice spots for fishing or a picnic. We hit a number of dead ends and found a few swimming holes. We did multiple critter fartleks and just had a good old time. With the humidity as high as it was and the cooler temps, my glasses fogged up every time we went too slow. Sweet.  I was very happy with 8 miles as I have a trail race next Saturday. Too bad it's dog free as there is no doubt Honey has a half mari in her.

SteveP