Masters Running

9th April, Boomer runs, The sun is on its way. (Read 582 times)

Dave59

Because of the "blank" topic thread, I discovered you can click on the date and time of the last post and it takes you right to the last post. Before that, I always clicked on the topic and had to find my way to the latest posts. My questions is, am I the last person here to figure that out? It sure makes it easier knowing that.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Having done 2 painful and slow marathons I have to agree with the people who say it is nuts to do them. Roll eyes Wink
      Oh Great!
      C'mon, wild child - sign up for the half. What's the worse that could happen?! Wink If Mary can run a whole marathon, I think we can manage a half. The folks here are so encouraging, they'll help us both on the bad training days, and cheer us on for the good ones.Jeanne
      C'mon girls - I'm waiting for you two to join me!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Special day hearing fom Jules and evanflein so early! IRC 52F, 4 Magical Healing Miles in 38:43 (9:40, AHR 138). Tory woke up sore or something, reallly lethargic and doesn't want to move much. But he did eat breakfast (he always eats lying down anyway). Will keep an eye on him today. His back legs shake when he stands and he was fine last night So I had to run this one solo. Decided to run by feel and "talk" (whisper quiet) while running which is new to me. It turned out that the pace and heart rate were right on where I needed to be for a recovery run without looking at the Garmin! Have great runs Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai

This is going to be a great day. For me is a day of rest from running, but a day filled with activities at home and at work. Tonight I teach my last medical interpreting class at a nearby town then I have a phone date with our lovely "snow queen". Tongue. Last night I had a not-so easy yoga class, which helped to loosen up the tight calf and hip. JJJ, au naturale sounds so freeing...I am jelous. I love taper time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Because of the "blank" topic thread, I discovered you can click on the date and time of the last post and it takes you right to the last post. Before that, I always clicked on the topic and had to find my way to the latest posts. My questions is, am I the last person here to figure that out? It sure makes it easier knowing that.
            That was the secret goal of the "Blank Thread" congratulations! Actually, that blank thread was a hoot. I started a daily only to find one started already and have no clue how to delete a thread so I just blanked everything... except "XX" in the body. Then the unexpected fun started. What a fun group this is Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

btb1490

Happy Wednesday, Boomers! from yesterday... JJJ- so were you the hunter, or the buffalo yesterday? PDR- A 10 mile race is not something you just bounce right back from. Don't rush it PLEASE. And don't be surprised if you are sluggish most of the week. But don't worry, you're fine. Just make sure you recover from this, you don't want the tiredness to linger into next week. Enjoy the much deserved rest! halllar- Jack LaLanne is 93 years old. Amazing! Craneium- well done yesterday, not only with all the running and biking you did, but also with your continued inspiration of the kids! munch- good to hear you got out and did some walking and had some great company along with you! wildchild- now that we know you are thinking of doing a half marathon, you won't be able to get away with not doing one! Your runs have been more than adequate to do that... why are you skeered? More snow for you? I'm glad you got to enjoy the warm weather while it lasted. TomS- sorry about your run and your hip yesterday. Do you do any foam rollering for your ITB and other muscles? That may help. Hope an easy day or two gets you back into action. vista- good to hear you didn't melt from your rainy run the other day. Your brother started "traditional" therapy this week, right? I hope he sticks with it, and with your support, I'm sure he will. Accepting limitations is tough mentally, as we often realize with our own running. Twocat- thanks for the well wishes! My GP said the procedure is done in the office and takes probably 2-3 hours total. In my case though, the proximity to the tendon could make it tricky, especially if whatever it is has attached itself to it. He referred me to who he thought was the top surgeon in the area, knowing that this guy would know exactly how to deal with this. We'll see in a few weeks. Thanks again. Jeanne- oh good, we can harass.... uh I mean inspire.... you along with wildchild to do a half. You both are probably ready right now to do one. Regarding Jack LaLanne being enhanced... in the infomercial, he just stood there motionless and his lips never moved, yet words were coming from somewhere, and I guess he developed a British accent over the years somehow.... so maybe he was enhanced a little. Tammy- I read your blog. Thanks for the update. You have enough in the training bank to do well in your marathon. I know it may not seem like it, but you will definitely get to that finish line! Please make sure you find those soft surfaces to run on, there must be some trails in the parks somewhere? Regarding bone health, I've read studies about the importance of extra calcium for people who exercise, because a lot more calcium is lost through SWEAT than most people realize. You've been a trooper about this, stay patient and stick to the program! Best of luck to you! charleygross- congrats to your daughter's team in the lacrosse match. Give those calves of yours a good massage, ok? SteveP- nothing wrong with ODing on good things! You deserve it. deez4boyz- so you were an exercise junkie even back when you were 3 years old! Glad you are feeling a bit better. Those proprioceptive exercises are killers, aren't they? I'm glad you are doing them, please stick with it. So if your boys are eating all the ice cream... than leaves only you as the one who usually eats it then! Busted! dave- nice avatar! biketm- why do you feel you need to choose between cycling and running? Why not both, especially if you love them? The two usually coexist nicely. Great workout yesterday btw! nonoruns- glad to hear your foot issues are clearing up! yay! Very cool that you get to run with your babysitter! Good job getting the run in, no matter what the hour was. I like your new profile picture! Smile Tall- you date some fast women! mainerunnah- you are putting in some impressive miles! PJH- take the day off... your body will thank you on April 21st. today... jules- good to have you starting us off. Thanks! Careful ramping up your running again! evanflein- what are YOU doing on page 1? Smile I hope you had a good run this AM, and that getting home is not as bad as you fear. Good luck. Ahh, I see you posted again! I guess the wakeup call worked! Smile CNY- I would've been flat out on my back after that workout that you did. Well done! Those creatures with the glowing eyes are probably typing away on their forum about the glowing eyes they saw high in the sky this morning! Wink breger- isn't it great to say that doing a 7 mile run is considered "saving energy"? hopeful4ever- can we now call you "marathon Mary"? Or perhaps "Marython"? Perhaps this morning a wind gust blew you into another dimension? Your mom sounds sweet! Holly- you're flirting with disaster with those shoes! But I think they deserve a special place somewhere, being the pair that got you to the starting line in Boston! Smile A lot of tough, memorable miles in those babies. Jeanne- crunchies? Smile Tallrunner- have fun at the game tonight, and be nice to that achillies. SueT- congrats to Jesse with her new digs! How is the obedience training going? JJJ- what's wrong with being chased by hunters and spears? Adds excitement to the run. perch- you used that built in Garmin that JJJ was talking about. Mariposai- I'm glad the yoga helped! runningindc- how are the feet doing? We need an update please. Not much to report. Went to the gym before work and did more of the usual. 5 minutes warmup on the elliptical, followed by the proprioceptive exercises. Then I did 1/2 an hour on the exercise bike just to mix things up, followed by 1 hour on the elliptical, using a program that increased both in intensity and elevation as time progressed. Ended with stretching. A much needed haircut later, then lacrosse this evening, the two highlights of the day. There was an article in the local paper about a young girl who got her hearing back in her deaf right ear after having a cochlear implant recently. I just got around to reading it, and was shocked to find that the girl is the top lacrosse player on our team. All these years, I never knew her condition, it certainly never showed. She also has had the lead part in the school plays the past two years, and is an awesome singer. Fromthe article... "She's a beautiful, vibrant young girl, and doesn't look or sound as if she has any trouble hearing, but she said she looks forward to being able to hear out of her right ear. She plays the flute and lacrosse and competes in Irish dance. She said she has to be on a certain side to take her music lessons or hear the music in dance class, and it's sometimes hard to hear others on the lacrosse field." Amazing child. Continued good health to all who have it, and speedy recoveries to those who are ailing. Smile Make it a great day everyone!
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm in Austin, Texas now! My running parnter and I did 4 miles this morning in my parents' neighborhood. MUCH hillier than we're used to. Plus it was 69 degrees and humid. That's about 40 degrees warmer than our last run. Whew! It was hard, but I made it OK. It's a great feeling to be able to do something now that I couldn't when I was a kid. Off to San Antonio now! We're staying on the Riverwalk tonight. Teresa
                  perchcreek you cannot figure out how to delete a thread or a reply because it cannot be done by lowly users like us. There was a discussion about this on the front page forums a while back. Basically, the folks that run this place like to have a record of sorts just in case. In case of what I am not all that sure.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

Happy Birthday Henrun - enjoy the sun and the Charles - only one more year to a new age group! Big grin
                    btb1490

Like the "Duel in the Sun" thread that Aamos posted the other day, here is the woman's version of it from this year's Paris Marathon. Who says the top runners make it look easy! Stick it out to the finish, it's worth it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDezzngY-Os

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy Wednesday, Boomers! biketm- why do you feel you need to choose between cycling and running? Why not both, especially if you love them? The two usually coexist nicely. Great workout yesterday btw!
                        Bob, I don't think I made myself very clear....brain probably wasn't functioning last night Smile I want to run 6 days a week and be competitive this season, vs racing triathlons like I have done (with the exception of a 1/2 IM this July). With my type A personality, I am afraid of my love of VERY high intensity cycling that will make my running too hard to keep up with and stay fresh. In the past, I would cycle around 350 to 400 miles a week, and only run maybe 20 or 25 miles, and that would get me through any tri's that I did....along with swimming a couple of sessions a week. So I guess that explains my dilemma...but I will figure it all out soon. Thanks Bob for all you do, for all of us Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I'm home sick Dead Intestinal & stomach problems from both ends and very weak feeling. So I'll miss my Wednesday group run and dinner, Angry I look forward my Wednesday evenings with the gang. BTB good luck with that surgery, I had a cyst removed from my back several years ago and all went well, I'm sure yours will be fine. I think an advantage runners have over others is that our activity helps discover problems sooner while they are hopefully minor. Teresa my DD (20) is a Texas fan and wants to visit Austin really bad. DW and I would like to see San Antonio, so we might have to make that trip too some day. Boomers Rule! In my new avatar I'm the old guy Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Like the "Duel in the Sun" thread that Aamos posted the other day, here is the woman's version of it from this year's Paris Marathon. Who says the top runners make it look easy! Stick it out to the finish, it's worth it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDezzngY-Os
                            I just deleted what I wrote so as not to spoil this in case folks don't know the end. Thanks--this is a great piece of film. Of course, it is just feeding my bizarreness--opening day at Fenway, the Sox get their rings, early weather reports starting to come in for Hopkinton/Boston--I just get a little edgy (call me Tweak) Eek! Too much pressure! nervous titters, A
                            Masters 2000 miles
                              great runs today boomers!! can't wait to see you all rock Boston!! went for a sports massage - she definitely could feel muscle inflammation and probably SI inflammation altho she respectfully said she can't diagnose bone/joint injuries -- she's is so good - the only therapist i like to go to now!! so time to ice and rest it as much as i can today before i head into a 12 hour night shift - plan to see the chiro tom. and friday probably too..........hope this doesn't last too long -- the weather is warming up and i want to be outside running!! any word if Spirit of the Marathon is going to come out on DVD? i missed it both times and really hope to see it someday!!

denise

Day 2 of the RH 500. Another beautiful day so another bicycle commute day today. The woman that I team teach with has decided that she would like to run too (whew) so we will be alternating runs with the classes for the rest of the week. I ran with the 4th graders this morning and got in a little over 4 miles. One of the kids asked me as I was running if I was feeling ok because my face was all red. I assured her that was normal for me and ran a couple of laps with her to prove I was ok. Gotta love what the kids observe and say. Two more 30 minute runs scheduled for me in the afternoon.