Masters Running

Charlevoix (MI) Marathon - Sat, June 27, 2015 (Read 61 times)

SteveP

If I were to show up for Charlevoix, either as a spectator or running one of the short distances, I'd probably bring my old pop up camper.  Steve, I see where Young State Park is near Boyne City.  How long would it take to drive from there to Charlevoix?

TomS

It would take bout 1/2 an hour. Maybe 20 min.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Airbnb has a couple of nice options, depending on how many people we get.  There is a classic home that is $900 for three nights, but it has 4 bedrooms, 6 beds, sleeps 9 guests.

Or a cottage "steps to beach" that has two bedrooms, 4 beds, sleeps 6 guests, for $535 for three nights.  (6/25/15 to 6/28/15)

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Charlevoix--MI--United-States?checkin=06%2F25%2F2015&checkout=06%2F28%2F2015&guests=4&sw_lat=45.25398776598568&sw_lng=-85.31118449402265&ne_lat=45.34617324239257&ne_lng=-85.18621501160078&zoom=13&search_by_map=true

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Ha...Looks like a blast.

A part of Michigan I haven't seen before.

On the 30th of June I will be enterintg a new AG...I took a quick glance at last years results. The 50-55 AG looks to be tougher than the the 45-49. Could be a the last Hooray as a 40 something.

evanflein

Holly, the place I'm looking at is bigger, same price, and closer to the start/finish. I sent another e-mail again to ask about it.

Doug, what's the best airport to fly into and then what's involved in getting up there? That's an important part of my planning.

Ha...Looks like a blast.

A part of Michigan I haven't seen before.

On the 30th of June I will be enterintg a new AG...I took a quick glance at last years results. The 50-55 AG looks to be tougher than the the 45-49. Could be a the last Hooray as a 40 something.

Is that a definite maybe then, Slo?

Doug, what's the best airport to fly into and then what's involved in getting up there? That's an important part of my planning.

I forgot how far you have to travel to get there! The closest airport is Traverse City, which is 50 miles to the south. Being only an hour away, someone could probably pick you up and drop you off.

A better bet for more flight options (and cheaper fares) might be Grand Rapids. The only issue is that it's 177 miles away (3 hours) and would involve renting a car.

Any other Michiganders that can offer some advice? Of course, I've never flown anywhere in the state except to and from Detroit Metro!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

That is a definite maybe Rock.

SteveP

At this point I plan on taking time off. If anyone is dropping in Traverse City, they can count on taxi service. The truck is a redneck - Batmobile crossover.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

I would love to come for the RA meetup, but I have zero interest in doing this race, so I'm afraid I'm out.  I tried to find something appealing about the race, but it's eluding me.  If anyone wants to try to convince me otherwise, I'm listening!

I will give you my best stick. Dad says he does not know any place in Charley Boy to have ice cream. I think he pretends sometimes.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, the place I'm looking at is bigger, same price, and closer to the start/finish. I sent another e-mail again to ask about it.

You could fly into Dayton and then ride with me?      Only 7 hours driving.....

So, it looks like these folks have other arrangements for lodging:

SteveP and DW

Roch and DW

TomS and DW

And these are in for the house rental:

Holly

Erika

Amy

And these are possibles for the house rental:

Jlynne

Perch

Slohand

Have I missed anyone?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

My friend Tara said she wants to come, too, and Renee and Carissa are maybes....

Jlynne

If I register for the half, DH and I will treat it as a vacation and will probably stay in a hotel or bed and breakfast. Would love to spend a lot of time with my RA friends though.

C-R

Let me see what DW thinks. We will just be returning from Florida and DIsney earlier in the month so she may be very tempted to have some time without the kids to relax. Well except me running that marathon thing.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

I'm 99.9% in. Not sure what distance yet and not sure if anyone will be traveling with me.

Holly, when do you need to know about accommondations?

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, when do you need to know about accommondations?

Right now we're trying to get a head count of who wants to stay in the rental.  So far we've got:

Holly

Tara

Erika/DH

Amy/DH

Erika and I were debating over these two houses:

The Classic Home 2 Blocks from Lake, on Nichols Ave, 1-2 blocks from the Start/Finish

4 bedrooms, 6 beds, sleeps 9

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Charlevoix--MI--United-States?checkin=06%2F25%2F2015&checkout=06%2F28%2F2015&guests=4&sw_lat=45.25398776598568&sw_lng=-85.31118449402265&ne_lat=45.34617324239257&ne_lng=-85.18621501160078&zoom=13&search_by_map=true 

Or this one, also pretty close to the Start/Finish:

http://www.vrbo.com/467810?utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email&utm_term=20141102&utm_content=hascpropid_text_o_lprop&utm_campaign=VRBO_replied

5 bedrooms, 6 beds, sleeps 9

Of course, we could always squeeze in a couple extra with sleeping bags, if necessary.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Steve/DW

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova