Masters Running

Thumpin' Thursday, 5.17.12 (Read 435 times)

coastwalker

Lots of good posts yesterday with good runs, health updates, life updates, and even some good eating!

Mike - thanks for and congratulations on the great news about Eric. It is terrific that his life and your relationship with him seem to be making a change for the better.

I also always enjoy Avenger Doggie's posts! (No, I didn't get to roll in the mud yesterday - didn't even think of it - my loss...)

5.24 racewalking miles at 4:05 this morning: 54F, clear skies, and somewhat serious winds from the west. The roads were dry, so today's workout didn't suck like yesterday's Wink. I dialed back a bit at the beginning, and then ramped up my speed as I went along, getting nice negative splits. There was just a sliver of the moon high in the sky, covered by a bit of gauzy haze. With a clear sky, it was light enough that I could see colors, rather than just shades of light and dark - for some of us, that's a treat!

Heading out for my annual physical early this morning. I hope it is routine and boring.

Enjoy your day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Way to get out there, Jay.

Yes, my dogs (Sophie and Lucy) love the Avenger Doggie posts.  Especially the part about that special ice cream between two cookies.  And they agree that those flying bugs smell nothing like butter.  They don't understand the stick at the end of the race though.

Erika - great job on the run - you even did my namesake.  Wishful thinking that I can ever get near one again.

OM - the marathon on October 21 is a good date...hmm.

This morning - the gym was closed because of "water issues."  Sounds suspicious, but the dunkin donuts in the same plaza was also closed.  So I went to the backup gym (only about 5 minutes away).  One hour of eliptical, then 600 meter walk, 600 meter run, 600 meter walk.  Repeat 1 x.  NO PAIN.  Crossing my fingers now.

Have a great day all.

I decided to bail on Bayshore this year.  Not in shape for it and the bike crash this week sealed the decision.  I don't know what it is about training in the winter/spring, which should be the best training time of the year down here.  I seem to have issues every year and Bayshore suffers because of it.

Bayshore must be a jinx.  Maybe I'll not sign up next year.  Black eye

True story:  We're going up to Michigan this weekend to open up our place for the season.  So I called my Satellite TV company yesterday to get the service started back up.  But I couldn't recall the Zip Code.  So I keyed in the address, city, and state into Google and clicked on the 1st result link.  And what does it say?

We have UFO's!

It says that someone was at my place on October 22, 2011 filming a Movie Short and they happened to take some pictures of strange unexplained lights in the sky.  They posted the story and the pictures on a UFO sighting website.  That's weird enough.  But what's really weird is that no one was supposed to be up there then.  No renters that week.  What the heck is up with that?

Remember me if we get taken by Little Green Men.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Interesting Bill...Hows the road rash by the way?

5 easy miles paced miles. Cool temps but increased humidity.

Busy day on books for me. I have a Bid release scheduled at 1:30 that I have to get drawing sets printed for and it's my Friday of a 4 day weekend. So everything that goes along with taking a few days off needs to get done too.

An absolutely gorgeous commute in today. I wore cargo shorts and a long sleeve T. The air temp was just cool enough to make the eyes water a bit. Hardly a breeze...sunny, the aroma's just hung in the air. I could smell the fresh baked donuts for blocks. Somebody was doing laundry...I love that smell and I swear...A car passed me and I could smell her coffee...mmm. Maybe it was coming from a house too.

Later all, happy running.

Marathon Maniac #957

You can't do that - we're already planning the meet-up at your place!  Given the UFOs, I'll be bringing my night-lens.... Big grin

Jay - here's to routine and uneventful physicals.

PBJ - No Pain - YaY!

Erika - Rockin' Run yesterday!

Slo - I love mornings like that!

8 easy-paced miles for me today in 49 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bill...Hows the road rash by the way?

Road Rash sux.  Not to give TMI, but my right hand is seriously swollen and someday it may quit oozing.  Eventually I hope to be able to sleep on my right side again.

Lesson learned:  Don't Crash.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP

We have UFO's!

It says that someone was at my place on October 22, 2011 filming a Movie Short and they happened to take some pictures of strange unexplained lights in the sky.  They posted the story and the pictures on a UFO sighting website.  That's weird enough.  But what's really weird is that no one was supposed to be up there then.  No renters that week.  What the heck is up with that?

Bill

Sorry to hear about Bayshore Bill. 

I did have a delivery in Cross Village that day and was experimenting with the delivery truck and a short cut back to Traverse City. It involved corn mash, nitro, a microwave and a 90 mile extension cord. I'm sure it's just coincidental though.

SteveP

Henrun

(((Bhyll))) Have you checked that hand out? Might need an X-ray.
                  lamerunner

Good morning. Great run yesterday Erika, and great choice of shirt! the halibut tacos sound good too. Running to a glacier sounds fun.

Mike, glad to hear the news about Eric; it is always rewarding to see our kids make their way, especially after some bumps in the road.

I made to the Y this morning though not as early as I should have. 75 thrilling minutes on the elliptical, 11.7 miles,  then some of my PT exercises.  A friend of mine showed up and got on a bike nearby so at least I had someone to talk to.  Made the time pass faster. I may try to swim later, but DS has a track meet so we shall see. Have to do some work too... 

Not sure what to make of Byll's UFO.

Leslie, I envy the fresh salmon and crab!

SteveP

Road Rash sux.  .

Lesson learned:  Don't Crash.

Bill

I thought of that while riding my bike.
                      - Albert Einstein 

SteveP

Dave59

Working as hard as I can so I make it to Green Bay this weekend.  I did run 2.2 miles.  I got a new bank card and to activate it I was supposed to make an ATM transaction, so I ran to the nearest machine, took out some money and ran home.  If I can get money out, doesn't that mean the card is already active?

I ran all the junk going on by a few friends and they said to go run the race.   So I guess I will.  Some of the things at work are settling down and stuff at home is too so I won't feel so bad.  Cindy is sick and in no shape to watch the grandkid alone on Saturday when my daughter has some school stuff to do, but now the school stuff was moved to Friday and now I won't feel guilty if I take off.  (My granddaughter was going to be with the other grandparents this weekend but then those plans changed so she'll be home.)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

{{{Byll}}} that road rash sounds nasty!!  Sad

I too love the Avenger Doggie posts.  I skip over the ice cream sections when reading to our dogs.  Wink

4 miles for Brinkely and I this morning.   Dang, it is cold outside!  41° so I got out the lightweight gloves and jacket .....still wore my shorts though!

Last night DH and I took the front top off my new Jeep and went into town for dinner before going to DD's softball game.   While waiting for a table we struck up a conversation with another couple and found out that they used to live in Alaska for 9 years.    When our table was ready we invited them to join us and I think we have some new friends.   It was a very enjoyable evening.

This morning I drove into work with the top down and the on heat full blast.....  Oh what fun......

Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Awesome Mary!

I haven't taken the top off of mine yet but it's time!

Dave59...Keeping my fingers crossed that you can leave for the weekend and be worry free!

Dove

The Dovenator

Morning! 3 beautiful miles for me in the sunny part of our state. Both mariposai and skip were in my town this week and I'm stuck at a business conference 4 hours away. How frustrating!

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Bill, look at the bright side.  If you get taken up into the mother ship, they can fix your road rash right up.  Sorry about Bayshore.

Dove, I bet Skip is frustrated to not be able to see you.

The doc said I could drink beer again and even recommended one.  I like him.  He's got the best bedside manner of any surgeon I've met.  I drank one last night while we watched the Thunder game on TV.  In case you haven't tried it yet, I recommened the seasonal Sam Adams Summer Ale.  I slept in late as a result but still got my long walk in, 4.2 miles just like yesterday but 7 minutes slower because I was stiff, probably from sleeping in.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me