Masters Running

Training week ending December 16-17, 2023 (Read 8 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 9mi (1:22) tm
      Tue 7mi (0:59) tm
      Wed 7.3mi (1:32)
      Thu 8.3mi (1:51)
      Fri 6.8mi (1:10)
      Sat 10.8mi (1:56)
      Sun 9.3mi (1:23) tm

Total: 58.5 miles

great weather for most of the week, 40s and 50s and sunshine. only 3 treadmill runs

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - looks like you're ramping up the miles again.  Nice weather, indeed.  Are you running Boston this spring?

My big news is I ran a "5k" trail race on Saturday with a small field (19 runners) and I actually won.  I'd never won a race before, so I was quite thrilled.  Race report is here.  (I don't always write reports for 5k races, but this one was special for me.)

I hit another milestone this week, topping 350 hours of running for the year, thanks in no small part to the marathon training.  That's 9 hours more than my previous annual mark and I still have two weeks to go.  I don't anticipate hitting that figure next year or any time soon.  31 miles for the week.

Date Workout Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
        12/11/2023   Easy  5.0 mi    53:47 10:51  43
        12/12/2023  8 x 600m/400m Repeats  9.2 mi 1:30:19   9:53  32
        12/14/2023  4 miles @ HMP Pace  7.2 mi 1:08:42   9:32  30
        12/15/2023   Easy  5.1 mi    52:06 10:20  50
        12/16/2023   Easy  1.1 mi    11:19 10:47  48
        12/16/2023

Winter Trail - Lewis Morris Park

Race  3.6 mi    36:28 10:15  48
        5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Quickadder

Week 1 of the RA Miles game final and I'm trying to do my part.

Monday - 5.5 miles (9:51 pace)

Tuesday - 5.6 miles (9:41)

Wednesday - 6.3 miles (9:38)

Thursday - 5.3 miles (9:42)

Friday - 4.3 miles (9:42)

Saturday - 9.0 miles (9:53)

Sunday - 4.0 miles (9:44)

Total 40 miles (200%)

I'd increased my target for the year from 730 miles to 1043 miles mid-year and passed the new target on Sunday.

My DD has indicated that she will give me an entry to next year's Zydeco Marathon (March 10th) as my Christmas present and DW has given me permission to run it, so my 9 weeks of higher mileage for the RA game playoffs will transition into marathon training!

Certainly the pace element of my current 5-month streak will need to be sacrificed at some point as I'm looking at a target marathon pace of around 10:20 per mile that is inconsistent with my current sub-10.

It looks as though the 2024 game will start with 6 teams - not sure yet if it will survive the year. I see I'm on the same team as Alexander R.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Contraband 5 miler 5/4/24 

TammyinGP

And I'm on the same team as Fred for next year! The game sure has dwindled. I agree, Paul, that we may not see another year of this year although it appears they are taking some of the suggestions to hopefully make some structural changes next year. I think a huge obstacle to others joining is the year long commitment. Granted many team are out by the beginning of Dec BUT if you are not it can be difficult to not only maintain but increase your momentum.  And since they've expanded the admin team, maybe that will breathe some new life and enthusiasm into the game. But overall, general participation in RA is comparatively small compared to years past and you can only garner so much participation from a smaller RA forum. 

Last week was another "hardly running" week for me.  Just kind of coasting through the rest of the year with running, or not running, as much as I want. Next year, and particularly the first half of the year will be on the higher end of mileage for me.

Tues: 6 miles

Wed: 5.3 miles

Fri: 4.6 miles

total: 15.9

Tammy

pfriese

Hey all,

Fred, nice win on your trail 5k.

Quickadder, congrats on hitting your year goal and good running in the finals.

Tammy, I think we have the same hardly running issue. I'm still having trouble with slacking. I'll blame the short days & holidays. Hopefully I'll be back on track in the new year. I'm sure "the game" will inspire to at least get on the treadmill when I can't run outside.

Here's what I had last week.

M - 6.2 easy miles

T - rest

W - 9 miles with intervals, 1.5 mile warm up, 12x400m with 400m recovery, 1.5 mile cool down

Th - 6.3 easy miles

F - rest

Sa - rest

Su - 10.1 easy miles

Total - 31.5 miles

Busy week with family. Hopefully, I can get in a few quality runs.

Paul

Alexander R

Fred, congratulations on the 1st overall !! Moments like this make all this training and racing really worth it. And, yes, 350 total hours for the year basically means nearly a full hour of daily running, every single day. I think these two big milestones very nicely complement each other, one is impossible without the other one. Yes, I signed up for next year Boston, I got a BQ at this year's Boston and that was enough to get in.

Quickadder, congratulations on reaching the target for the year! And congratulations on the 200% week! Interesting about your planned marathon training. Usually, most runners train at paces that are much slower than the goal marathon pace. Like, 1-2 or even 3 minutes per mile slower. The fact that you are consistently running faster might indicate that you could target a somewhat faster pace in the marathon, but that is entirely your call of course and it would depend on how your long runs would go. And yes! Looks like we are going to be on the same team in 2024, looking forward to it !

Tammy, three runs is three runs and it makes a lot of sense to cut back a bit after such a long effort. I think historically RA originated on the Runner's World website, when it had a calendar and a forum  and many other nice tools for runners and the participation was huge. So when Runner's World decided to shut it all down many people migrated to RA, because it's  the same code and it was possible to migrate your entire log (which is what I did). So the initial boost from bringing in all that crowd was great, but yes it feels like RA has not been growing after that, not bringing in enough new people. It does come up in the top 5 when I search for "running log" on Google, so it cannot be entirely unknown, but maybe people expect it to have like a phone app or something.

Paul, I would not call a 50k week with a longer run and intervals "slacking", but your standards are high, so it might be a relatively easier week for you. And, yes, the short days are definitely not helping, but they are going to be getting longer now