Masters Running

August 14th Runs - Brighter Days Are Ahead! (Read 512 times)

Maine, your friend Joel makes a great point. If you are going to take a day off before a race, take the day off two days out, which means Thursday for a Saturday race, and run easy tomorrow. Also, if you keep a log, it would be good to note how you feel on race day, as this is one of those things that affect different racers in different ways. Good on you to look in on him.
    Thanks for confirming the advice Joel gave me Ribs, and I will in fact keep a note of how I feel come Saturday. He is more than just a good friend and I really miss ahving him along on some of my runs, especially those speed workouts. It's nice to see you progressing so well, take care and I am still looking forward to racing you some day even if we have to do it virtually! Wink
      Not much time to post right now but I hope to be back later. Today it was my turn to botch up the distance calculation. I was supposed to take my friends along a new 6+ mile route that I had mapped out. One wrong turn later and it ended up as 8+. Roll eyes Apologies to my running friends. But, hey it was good for them to get in a little extra distance . . . right? Well at least I hope they feel that way! SueT48 thanks for asking about my DW and this weekend's race. I probably will not know for sure until the morning of the race. We are going out tomorrow to a comedy club in NYC to celebrate her BFF's BD which is actually tomorrow and my DW's which is Saturday. It is sort of an annual joint BD celebration we hold. But that also means we are likely to get home late. So, all I can hope is her desire to set a new race distance PR wins out over a combination of fear of doing that and fatigue from the the night before. General comment about running the days prior to a race: I have seen various views on this and have come to suspect it is some combination of personal preference and superstition. Maybe somebody has a study they can cite saying otherwise. I am happy to change my mind here since I have no real evidence for my current views other than having not seen anything to the contrary. But, assuming there is no, limited, or conflicting evidence it seems like you should do what you think best. In my case I almost never run the day prior to a race. I just feel like it helps me get to the start with as much in reserve as possible. Who knows maybe I would do better if I did run a couple of miles. But for now I am going with my no running the day before a race policy.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

:]
        I thought it was a fancy lifesaver Embarrassed mainerunnah--and the Red Sox won last night! grins, A Jlynne--I love your avatar! If y'all are needing a break from the non-sport Olympics, and saving gas/$ by eating lunch in, the Rapid City Little League team plays (ESPN coverage) Friday at noon, eastern time. We're having an apple pie sale tonight to raise money for them.
        Masters 2000 miles
        DickyG

First of all, thanks to all who provided the abbreviation keys...and, for those that asked, I put on old shoes yesterday because the weather was threatening and I thought it would rain. Anyway, I'm so bad now that I could run in spiked heels and probably not know any difference. TwoCat: 21 miles yesterday...man, that's lights out (sorry, couldn't help myself). Evanflein: Awesome run yesterday. If it's any consolation, when #2 son was playing soccer, he was thrown out of 4 games in one season...all for fighting...I was so proud. Teresa: Mucho congrats on your med report! Deez: Great news on YOUR med results...what a huge relief! Larry:
          Just a comment on the Olympic attire. I think it should go back to the original Olympic uniform: Naked.
          Hmmm...well, maybe not the Russian women shotputters.... Roy:
          Oh DickyG, the trail shoes I use have just gone past the 700 mark, I must get down to my running shop in Portsmouth (the original Portsmouth) :
          Only 700? A mere pittance... Maine: Best to Joel for a speedy recovery...he is my idol, you know. Tim: Huge repeat effort! Were you wearing your new shoes? Holly: 6 miles after that long layoff is just awesome! Perch: Where did you run, Pikes Peak? Great run... Ribs: Holly answered the "GA" question..."general aerobic" (although I sort of liked my own answer "home of the Braves")....thanks. Played singles tennis last night for the first time since I injured my groin. Played lousy & lost but relatively pain free...sometimes on my second serve where I really reach behind me in a (usually feeble) effort to hit a high spinner. No running today..golf this afternoon...rasslin' on Spike tonight. DickyG
            Hello all! Sometimes a flight delay can work out okay in the end. I had a frustrating day yesterday trying to fly home after two client days in Marietta, Ohio and Vienna, WV. I was able to get re-routed (I am unfailingly polite to all who control tickets) and had a three hour wait in the Charlotte airport. How is that good? I finished my paper that's due on Monday and found time to run long today and even read some of the threads on RA. Tempo day yesterday 10.2 miles with 3x20 at hard pace with 5 mins. rest and 19.92 today with Iron J. It felt slow owing to a 1 AM arrival home and puffy feet, but we ran out 10 miles at 1:25 and came in 10 miles at 1:25---2:50 total--- 8:34ish pace. cool. Deez4boys/Denise!!!! I am so thrilled at your news. Relief! Teresa, you just rock and congratulations. That's what it's all about. Perch has become a real estate mogul apparently. Don't forget his cottage in Western, MA Holly! Actually I have had the pleasure of running with Holly and getting cookies in person. Tongue So what if my family never got to taste her mince-meat enhanced oatmeal cookies. Yeesh, a girl has to eat something on the plane! I was thinking of asking Spareribs if he wanted some walking company from the Northeast this weekend, but it appears I'll have to wait in line behind his harem. It's great actually that you have such fans and super speedy ones to boot. Tell sprkle to post more---she rocks! I am prattling on here in this found time wndow and need to get my desk in shape. The kiddo is at hockey camp and Mr. CNYrunner is doing research at the library. Need to make hay while the sun shines and all is quiet on the Western front. Karin/CNYrunner
            Dave59

I agree 100% with Tramps view on what is a sport. Someone at NBC must have a friend or relative that dives because they are covering the synchronized stuff to death. I am more a plodder than a racer, so I usually take a couple days off before a race that is 10 miles or more. All the more energy stored up to make it to the finish. Anything 10k or under I take the day off before a race. (I don't ever run anything between a 10k and 10 miles so I have no days off standard for that. Cool ) But I really only "race" for 2 purposes: 1 - A break from running all by myself. 2 - I run harder in a race than a training run and I like to push myself once and a while (just not very often Big grin ) I guess I'm not a very competitive person by nature and whatever desire I did have I burned up in high school cross country and track. I set my personal best 5k back in 1976 (or 1975?) in an away meet against a school called Kenmore West and I choose to accept that as my life's athletic high point! Roll eyes

Computer trouble last night & today, so I'm using DD's. Cross Country 1.9 mile race last night 14:41, 56 seconds faster than 2 weeks ago, so not too bad. Hamstring loosens up much easier now but starts talkin' to me at a 8 minute pace, so kept things under control & didn't push it too hard. 6.2 miles GA this morning 1 hr. 20 seconds. If I have to travel to a race I prefer to run some on travel day if schedule permits, whether it's 2 days before or the day before. Otherwise I usually don't run the day before a race. Dicky golf, tennis, softball & running , wow, I hope to be like you when I retire. Big grin I define the previously mentioned olympic sports as sports but not athletic events. Twocat you are running tough Cool

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

mainerunnah--and the Red Sox won last night!
                  Amos I couldn't agree more! Big grin
                    Hmm... cookies...chocolate chip for me Holly!! I had a carpy run. Got up and out the door by 6:30am but it still felt warm and sweaty at that hour. Sluggish run, I guess my legs are still tired from last Saturday. 5.6 miles @ > 11:00 pace. So I am scraping my plans for a 10K race this weekend. On a sad note, a 32 year old woman with 4 young children (ages 8 to infant) that I knew from my neighbourhood took her own life last week after struggling with severe post-partum depression. I interacted with her a bit a few years ago when we were both part of the same co-op preschool (our oldests went to it, and we did some shared babysitting there). It is just so incredibily sad and a huge loss for that family.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Twocat - in my book it's always good to err on the plus side. I'd rather find out that I've run extra mileage as opposed to being short on mileage. Happy Birthday wishes for your DW! 12 miles on the stationary bike for my lunch hour today. I'm going on a biking tour in Vermont with some friends from Michigan weekend after next. I haven't been on a bike ride since we moved here over a year ago. This could be interesting.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

DickyG

A quick post before I leave the office & head out to the golf course regarding Tramps' rant about Olympic events... I happen to agree with most of his points and have long sneered events such as riding horsies, bow & arrows, & gun shooting. If you want to shoot guns and/or bow & arrows, let the contestants shoot at each other. While I'm certain this will be an unpopular opinion, Tramps' points regarding gymnastics also applies to ice skating in the Winter Games, as well as snowboarding (which is still ultra cool but relies on judges). I might actually enjoy gymnastics, ice skating, etc. if someone (get to work, Tramps) devised a system to add defense to these sports. And frankly, boxing is going the same route with the (relatively) new scoring system. Right after they allow Olympic darts, can horseshoes be far behind? DickyG P.S. As of right now, NBC's ratings are excellent, mainly due to Phelps. When the swimming is over, the next big venue is track, widely regarded as the most important venue in the summer games. Unfortunately, there is no personality known to the general public like Phelps...we don't have well-known stars this year such as Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Frank Shorter, or Flo-Jo. Probably the best known stars would be Ussain Bolt,Tyson Gay, and Jeremy Wariner...and frankly I doubt if many in the general public even know who these guys are. The NBC folks are nervous...and so are the organizers. Less than 50% of available hotel space has been booked and even though the organizers claim that all tickets have been sold, any TV camera angle will show that thousands of these "ticket buyers" come to the events disguised as empty seats. I'm sure the NBC execs are praying hard for a U.S. basketball gold.
                        DickyG

A quick post before I leave the office & head out to the golf course regarding Tramps' rant about Olympic events... I happen to agree with most of his points and have long sneered events such as riding horsies, bow & arrows, & gun shooting. If you want to shoot guns and/or bow & arrows, let the contestants shoot at each other. While I'm certain this will be an unpopular opinion, Tramps' points regarding gymnastics also applies to ice skating in the Winter Games, as well as snowboarding (which is still ultra cool but relies on judges). I might actually enjoy gymnastics, ice skating, etc. if someone (get to work, Tramps) devised a system to add defense to these events. And frankly, boxing is going the same route with the (relatively) new scoring system. Right after they allow Olympic darts, can horseshoes be far behind? DickyG P.S. As of right now, NBC's ratings are excellent, mainly due to Phelps. When the swimming is over, the next big venue is track, widely regarded as the most important venue in the summer games. Unfortunately, there is no personality known to the general public like Phelps...we don't have well-known stars this year such as Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Frank Shorter, or Flo-Jo. Probably the best known stars would be Ussain Bolt,Tyson Gay, and Jeremy Wariner...and frankly I doubt if many in the general public even know who these guys are. The NBS folks are nervous...and so are the organizers. Less than 50% of available hotel space has been booked and even though the organizers claim that all tickets have been sold, any TV camera angle will show that thousands of these "ticket buyers" come to the events disguised as empty seats. I'm sure the NBC execs are praying hard for a U.S. basketball gold.
                          Dave59

The NBS folks are nervous...and so are the organizers. Less than 50% of available hotel space has been booked and even though the organizers claim that all tickets have been sold, any TV camera angle will show that thousands of these "ticket buyers" come to the events disguised as empty seats. I'm sure the NBC execs are praying hard for a U.S. basketball gold.
                            Does it matter how many people watch or attend at this point? I saw a recent story that said NBC passed the $1 billion mark in ad sales for the Olympics. (I think they paid $800 million for the rights.) So they have the profit in the pocket already whether we watch or not. (I also have read that they gave discounts on other advertising to people who advertised in the Olympics so it's hard to tell what the overall impact of all this will be to their bottom line.)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

... Unfortunately, there is no personality known to the general public like Phelps...we don't have well-known stars this year such as Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Frank Shorter, or Flo-Jo. Probably the best known stars would be Ussain Bolt,Tyson Gay, and Jeremy Wariner...and frankly I doubt if many in the general public even know who these guys are.
                              I'm surprised they don't "hype up" Ryan Hall. He could surprise everyone if he puts pedal to the medal And the men's marathon is the final Olympic event!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai

Blessed rest day...not even carmen the bike came to work with me today...call me lazy posie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard