Masters Running

Sunday 11/13, let's hear about the races (Read 596 times)

Maniac 505

Wonderful evening with the Posi clan, and a Greta run with the butterfly goddess yesterday, another planned for today. Lots of races going on this weekend. I can't wait to see the results
    Slo

Well it's about time someone started the daily !

Good morning Divechief...I can still say that. It's 5 mins to Noon.

21 miles for me this morning. A little painful. I started with a big hill and then went back for more later on. I thought about a third trip so I tested it out on a shorter hill and ended up breaking into a walk. I don't know if it's the trip up or the trip down that gets ya.

Gotta  pizza in the oven and DD that needs to be in 3 different places today. The Packers aren't on TV so that's makes running her around a little more bearable. (that sounds bad) Ya'll know what I mean.

3 weeks out from the Tecumseh trail marathon. The hay's in the barn as they say. I think I should treat this a "just for fun" run.

MTA: When it comes to frozen pizza; It's really tough to beat Tombstone.

Mariposai

Where is everybody? Here we are still munching on twocat soda bread, drinking coffee and trying to hydrate from last night's wine tasting party. The event was fun, I found a few new variety of wine made by local wineries that I like. It was great to have the chance to introduce Divechief to some of our friends. 

A total beautiful day here. I am looking forward to a short run in the afternoon with the Easy Pacer, Dievechief and PosieSons. Yeah, call me one lucky girl!

Still smiling big about Tramps great race yesterday. And Dove's phenomenal 100k finish!!!

I just checked Francesca's facebook posting. She finished  the  100 miler in 29:14:55!!!!! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hi Dave and Steve!

Where's the rest of the gang?

So I read through all of yesterday's posts and come up with Tramps "pretty good clip".....  more details please! ETA: He has a RR.. off to read it!

That route Rochrunner posted yesterday... I ran that (10 mile) for the first time today... he's more man than I am.. I had to stop twice going up and once at the top of that Dutton Hill! 

Roch and I went to a send-off the the Hanson's team of Olympic Trials qualifiers who are heading to Fla to continue training ("on more reliable surfaces") for Houston's Olymic qualifier in January.

Look who I got to meet and talk to!  I asked her about her favorite running routes and she mentioned the route with Dutton Hill...

(I feel so Tall)

Desi

Oh.. the shirt....  Yesterday I ran a 5 K race and a 10K race at the Ann Arbor turkey trot to earn the status of "Iron Turkey"!

I'm not an IronMan but I'm now an IronTurkey!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice run Slo.  Hey Divechief.

I went for a 10 miler this morning before church.  We have a lot of running around to do , today, and I wanted to make sure I got my run in.  I told my DW that really didn't like running in the morning and she said, "Why not?  You can just get it over with."  I said, "I happen to like to run--why would I want to do it when I enjoy it the least?"  She doesn't get it.  Poor lady.

Anyway--I did a nice and easy, mind wondering, 10.2 mile run in 47o--a little wind but not bad--in 1:18:30.  One of the things I was thinking about is how I am really going to concentrate on slowing down on my daily runs.  Looking back at my log I really have been pushing it.  I think you're supposed to run your dailies about 2 minutes slower than your 10k pace.  Well, it's been awhile since I've run a 10k at a 6 minute pace so even at that I should be running 8 minute miles.  Over the years, though--especially with only running every other day--I've just allowed myself to push it on every run.  And I have fun doing that.  But, maybe, if I slow it down--I could start running every day, again...hmmm....

Okay--sorry to bore you with my wondering thoughts.

Hey--how'd Dove do?

But you know--I have been running marathons for 17 years, now.  And for about 12 of those years, I have been running every other day and I've been running hard on those days.  I ran 20 of those marathons in 3:05 or less--so why would I change, now?  Oh--sorry--I guess I'm still thinking...

Well--yeah--but look at the last couple of years--how much time have I had to take off because of injuries?  I need to face the fact that I'm getting older and need to slow it down! 

Oh--crap--the DW's calling me up to eat.

Man--just when I was getiing somewhere...

Oh--hey Perch!  Nice picture.

New skirt in town

Love the Iron Turkey shirt!  And some great race results posted already this weekend.  Those ultramarathons just wipe me out to read about.

No racing here, just a nice, slo-mo 6 miler in the lovely, crisp, autumn weather.  It was perfect.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Love the Iron Turkey shirt!  And some great race results posted already this weekend.  Those ultramarathons just wipe me out to read about.

Me, too!

Tag and family had a great race day yesterday, too!  (I'm sorry, what were the rest of your names?)  Wink

Huge winds today, and I was feeling kind of low-mojo, so I ran pretty slow, walked more than I should have.

14 slow miles total.

Squats, dead lifts, and lunges this afternoon.

Windy and gray outside still, but I'm headed out to plant my tulips before the ground freezes.  I know after the bleakest part of the winter, their joyful first bright splashes of color will be worth it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I didn’t even know Francesca was doing a 100-miler.  Amazing! I did think about Dove’s 100K during yesterday’s race.  Inspiring. Glad to hear they both went well.  Hope we get details.

Slo—nice LR at a solid pace…and with hills  Well done.  You’ll do great at Tecumseh.

Perch—you’re hanging out with some fast women, there.  Nice.  And that is a great T-shirt.

MikeE—interesting thoughts about pacing, etc.  Seems like a worthy experiment to try adding days again.  Take it easy though.  (20 at sub 3:05? Wow.)

Does making waffles qualify as cross-training?  I woke up with a waffle craving and so made a pile of them this morning.  Yum.  We’ll have leftovers for a couple of days.  A little yard work to move around and loosen up, too.  Otherwise, a rest day. 

I’m surprised at Pfitz’s post-marathon plan.  Just 15 miles the first week. Really?  I think I’ll be doing more than that.  Not today though.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

I was up at 3:40 this morning and headed out for a quick 4-miles. I tried shortening my stride a bit, getting a little more leg lift and toe-push, and minimizing my knee hyper-extension. Did I pull it off? How do I know? But it did feel good, fluid and fast.

I was really pumped when I headed out at 5:30 to start the work for today's half marathon. The weather was going to be perfect (low 40s, sunny, and just a light breeze), and we were so ready for the race. Our race committee meets at least once a month for 10 months, and by the time we get to race day, it is extremely rare that there are any details that we didn't cover and prepare for. It is a pain in the butt to be reviewing this stuff again and again and again, but it sure is sweet when things go well on race day. And today, I think they did. The lead female runner and racewalker both set course records (1:21:41 and 1:49:28). We had 1,064 finishers. We raised about $75,000 for the local chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and gave $500 each to the 6 other non-profits that staffed the water stops. All the left-over bottled water and untouched food went to a local shelter. The race committee doesn't get a dime, and we wouldn't have it any other way. We'll have our wrap-up meeting in a couple of weeks, meet in January to start the process of selecting next year's beneficiary, and then start doing this all over again, except that we'll try to make the race better next year. Except for my early am workout, I didn't racewalk a step today, but this was still one of my best races.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I was really pumped when I headed out at 5:30 to start the work for today's half marathon. The weather was going to be perfect (low 40s, sunny, and just a light breeze), and we were so ready for the race. Our race committee meets at least once a month for 10 months, and by the time we get to race day, it is extremely rare that there are any details that we didn't cover and prepare for. It is a pain in the butt to be reviewing this stuff again and again and again, but it sure is sweet when things go well on race day. And today, I think they did. The lead female runner and racewalker both set course records (1:21:41 and 1:49:28). We had 1,064 finishers. We raised about $75,000 for the local chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and gave $500 each to the 6 other non-profits that staffed the water stops. All the left-over bottled water and untouched food went to a local shelter. The race committee doesn't get a dime, and we wouldn't have it any other way. We'll have our wrap-up meeting in a couple of weeks, meet in January to start the process of selecting next year's beneficiary, and then start doing this all over again, except that we'll try to make the race better next year. Except for my early am workout, I didn't racewalk a step today, but this was still one of my best races.

Excellent!  This is what races should be like.  Congratulations on another excellent day and thanks for your service to the sport.

Be safe. Be kind.

..yeah, Waffles could be CrossTraining.......

======

......a Waffle-less 30min RCNG trailrun,

our

visiting guests didn't wind up doing a thing except eating and drinking..............which might also count as crosstraining.....

they were

certainly good at it.

...................good running guys............Feel The Burn.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Good to hear Dove and Francesca survived their ultras at Javelina yesterday.  I'm so in awe! 

Jay - sounds like your group really knows how to put on a great race. Glad you had good weather and a good turnout, and raised lots of money for some good causes.  Nice!

7 mountain miles with my fuzzy running buddies today. 37° and a few light flurries, and not nearly as windy as yesterday.

I forgot to mention that on yesterday's windy trail run, there was a big tree down across the trail on my 2nd lap that wasn't there on the 1st.  Glad it didn't land on anyone. Wonder if it made a sound?  Joking

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps, great marathon.  Steve, it sounds like you and Tag had a fantastic race.  Tsunami, what a bummer that cold weather running has such an effect on you.  Is there any place you can run inside in the winter (indoor track or TM)?  Even if you can't run, please keep posting.  mari and Dive, I'm jealous of your runs together and fellowship with the posie clan.  perch, congrats on your "Iron Turkey" status.  Jay, you sure know how to put on a successful race.  I am in awe of the reports about Franc and Dove.

Nice long runs for heme, opie, pfriese, wild, holly, Slo, mari, Mike, and holly (another).

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was some wind.  I got in 5 miles in about 53:45 for a 10:45 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'd trade an IM shirt for that one.  Great Idea to make running even more fun than it is.

sounds like the boomers succeeded in all distances from 5K - 100 miles yesterday

Is Ann Arbor where you moved?

ps tsunami - I bet you can still run more than I do in the winter even though you're not running

)

Desi

Oh.. the shirt....  Yesterday I ran a 5 K race and a 10K race at the Ann Arbor

Turkey trot to earn the status of "Iron Turkey"! I'm not an IronMan but I'm now an IronTurkey!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Tag and family had a great race day yesterday, too!  (I'm sorry, what were the rest of your names?)  Wink

Cool

You are a very good guy Jay. I will help clean up treats that fall on the ground.

Wildchild, me and Dad sometimes see trees like that when we go run run run. I jump over them. Dad's just screwed.

Mom made pancakes today. When they ate some, we all went outside and Mom and Dad played Frisbee with a pancake and I really wanted it really bad. After a long time, Dad made a bad throw and I finally got it! Then he chased me all around the yard and field. It was forever before I got some. 

They went to church, then Dad crawled under the truck with tools so he could say lots of bad words and Mom wouldn't hear them. I crawled under too, but decided it was a good idea that I don't help this time.

Mom's mom and dad are coming over and Dad has a big big ham on the smoker! I hope he takes me run run run too!

Sniffing Butts, Tag