Masters Running

Thursday, Nov. 13 Runs and Rests (Read 563 times)

Mariposai

I know Erika is tired because of all the hugs she got from Tet... Cool Holly, how great that your childhood friend lives in Seattle...maybe you can meet up with her in June...but remember I am still going to be your taxidriver Speaking of June, I got an invitation to be a speaker at a national convention during that week...I said NOOO Yes. I am so glad I had already made up my mind that I would be there. Joining the non-running club for the day...twocats are you still there? Butterfly hugs to Aamos and her DH. What is the recovery plan for the day? I sure miss VISTA around here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

DickyG

In this brutal season of cutbacks, the office holiday party is getting downsized, too. From American Express to MTV, employers are canceling Christmas celebrations because of the gloomy economy. At some other workplaces, last year's catered affair is this season's potluck dinner. Allison Haines, a marketing rep with Teletronics, Inc. was actually excited about the prospect of having a covered dish holiday party. "They hated my prune casserole at the church picnic," Haines stated. "But I figured if I added some soy sauce and oregano, them office bozos won't know they're eatin' leftovers." Amy: You guys are so upbeat! ...and thank heavens you guys didn't name the new device "A-Rod"...aeorta, get it? OK...that was a stretch... TomS: 12 miles in rotten weather...you just continue to amaze.. Leslie: Gas is sub-$2 all over the place now...I happen to live in southern Virginia. It's always higher in California...one reason is the extra stuff they put in the mix (for cleaner air, I think)...another might be an extra tax. I know that gas is always higher in NC than VA because they have an extra tax. For our area, a good rule of thumb is to take the spot (wholesale) price & add 40-60 cents to get retail. I think the spot price is now about $1.25. Francesca: I don't like to run in the rain...my hair frizzes. Carolyn: Discussion of the U.S. auto crisis would take thousands of pages and cost millions of lives. We started falling behind in the mid-70's during the first Arab oil embargo when the Japanese began importing fuel-efficient cars and we took the attitude "we don't need to re-tool...this shall pass."....and it didn't. And while fuel prices have come down the past few months...this too shall pass. Tramps: It might not be too late...you can get a waterproof plastic holder for your I-Pod, complete with earpod connection, etc. Try Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart...all the usual suspects. I have one but I never use it.
      Et tu, Brewte?
      OK...I'm going back to sleep. NoNo: What a great run...and no leaves to slip on. Maine: Yesterday's workout was disgustingly good...great to hear that Joel is back in the game. Holly: Great interval gut-wrencher this morning! Did a decent 4.1 miles this morning...in the rain...36:24 (8:53). DickyG
      dg.

morning! Peter, hope you're feeling better soon. aww, how could anybody pick on Tramps? Evil grin Holly, nice intervals! Jeanne, I'm so happy about your son. TomS, your running's been doing so well! upping your mileage? speaking of local guys, where's Doug? hi B'Nellie! Smile thanks for the picture Mary. How are you feeling overall? I remember you were having a hard time with a few of your runs.. think maybe you did too much too soon after Detroit? I have no experience so I don't know! just was wondering. There was an article in a recent Runner's World about post marathon re-entry, assorted aspects. iMaybe you just need to take extra good care of yourself for a while. or maybe not! Use your mojo as you see fit. Smile. thanks for the well wishes yesterday! I did go to the gym this morning, but it was a lackluster performance. lots of sleep for a couple of days, & then couldn't last night. I got up about 10 till 4, did a few things, went back into the bedroom for something & my OCD almost got trumped by FDC. (fluffy down comforter)( be nice, i'm still not well! Wink ) a 10 minute walk, 3.16 mile run, 9:39 pace, max was 7:45. hr a little high. 20 on the elliptical, 2 sets on the weight machines, stability ball reverse crunches side planks & russian twists. stretched. gazed longingly at the whirlpool, & yawned all the way home. but I'm happy I went. MTA, Amy, what great news about Daniel. hi quickyG. how's my little buddy billy bob?
          I am back from my trip. I have another on Monday. Oh well. Still no running so I remain a full fledged member of the club! Got that biketm and evanflein just in case the two of you thought I had stopped slacking off. Like biketm last night I had a brief thought along the lines of maybe I can start up again while I was walking around looking for a place to pick up a soda. Then I did one of those mini-speed ups you do when you are in a cross walk and there are cars gunning for you. My hamstring let me know in no uncertain terms it was not ready to go yet. So, today I did some stuff in the gym and will spend the rest catching up with work. I hope to post later. I read yesterday's daily and it was good to see all the back and forth about various random items. Good runs and non runs all! P.S. Those of you just taking a day off do not qualify for the non-run club. Sorry. If you are off of your own free will you are in the running club but just happen to have a day off. You first need to injure yourself so that non-running becomes non-voluntary. Everybody got that! These membership requirements are important! Your non-run club Dictator! Evil grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

. P.S. Those of you just taking a day off do not qualify for the non-run club. Sorry. If you are off of your own free will you are in the running club but just happen to have a day off. You first need to injure yourself so that non-running becomes non-voluntary. Everybody got that! These membership requirements are important! Your non-run club Dictator! Evil grin
            welcome back Twocat. I was just wondering during my ... this morning who was the boss. so, see, I'm injured. at least 3 places. hammies started again this morning too.... Therefore, since what I'm doing could hardly qualify as running as anyone would agree that could see me, I think I qualify. i'm in? Have you a favorite bribe? I've used Guinness before with success.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

geez twocat - you don't have to be so mean about it - I'm very sensitve you know .... Tongue

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

Rest day for me. Does that mean I join the non-run club?
                pssst...Tramps....there's really not a group called "the non-run club". Don't fall for it. I'm on to these guys, so just stick with me and we won't get lost together, k? I ran 4 last night on the TM at the gym. Wearing my old Foundation 7's - no foot pain afterwards and feet felt remarkably better this a.m. too. I think the Foundation 8's are what has been causing me the foot problem. Dang shoes. Maybe I should just be a barefoot runner Wink . The test will be when I wear my 7's on Saturday's HM and see how my feet feel compared to how they felt last Saturday after 9 miles wearing my 8's. Have a good day all!

Tammy

Last training run with my 5th grade 5k clubbers today. The race is on Saturday and it should be interesting. There is one girl who tells me she does not like running. She is not a strong runner, yet she shows up every day. She tries hard and actually had her mom follow her in the car for 3 1 mile runs in her neighborhood on Tuesday when we didn't have school. I can't wait to see how they react to the race, it should be fun. On another personal note, for those who saw last week I posted about volleyball. Alas, my team lost that night, so I am at 199 career wins and holding for the moment. As a Cubs fan I have to say: wait 'til next year!
                  Mariposai

I am back from my trip. P.S. Those of you just taking a day off do not qualify for the non-run club. Sorry. If you are off of your own free will you are in the running club but just happen to have a day off. You first need to injure yourself so that non-running becomes non-voluntary. Everybody got that! These membership requirements are important! Your non-run club Dictator! Evil grin
                    i feel so hurt and rejected Cry Cry ( Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I think that was a record number of non-runs posted at the beginning of the daily run thread. Day 9, no runs. Does that earn me bronze level in the non-running club?? I know it is a Personal Best for me for the number of consecutive non-running days since I began running almost 3 years ago. Guess I have been very lucky until now. It would be nice to cross-train though. All I can do is walk slowly around the house, lie down, get up, repeat. Maybe I will try a walk around the block today. Sitting for more than 5 minutes at a time is not good. On the bright side, and don't ask me how this is possible, I haven't put on any weight. In fact I lost a pound or two. All of it muscle it would appear. For 9 days I've just been lying in bed, eating ice cream, halloween candy, potato chips and brownies. I really don't get it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke - lying in bed is hard work! BTW, have you been in to see a doctor yet? If you're still in that much pain after 9 days, SOMETHING IS WRONG. Please, get in for a checkup and x-rays. Mary - B'Nellie is gorgeous. The color of her fur is really different - looks like she had highlights!

Marathon Maniac #957

There is one girl who tells me she does not like running. She is not a strong runner, yet she shows up every day. She tries hard and actually had her mom follow her in the car for 3 1 mile runs in her neighborhood on Tuesday when we didn't have school.
                          Bless her heart! Do tell us about how it went for her afterward.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

don't worry posie, we had to create a special "crutch" division so those who need the help of injuries in their nonrunning wouldn't have to compete with real nonrunners doing it all on our own. Big grin Big grin No matter what, nonrunning when you really want to run, e.g. divechief's 180 days of more on the eliptical, is a very special accomplishment that boards like this make it very hard for voluntary nonrunners rarely achieve anymore. For the record, official nonrunners anonymous membership requires 30 days of either regular or "crutch" nonrunning but, like the 50-states marathon club. trial membership is available upon accumulating ten days of nonrunning as long but must be coupled with regular posting of the progress for all to see. Thus, we welcome the snow goddess with her tenth day of tapering last night and hope that enke will be able to hold off another day to get to ten too. nonrun on fellow taperers.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

My appointment is tomorrow. After 7 days of much pain, it finally eased up yesterday and I am feeling much better. I think it is just a particularily bad low back muscle strain. But of course I want to see the doctor to rule out any disc involvement.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I haven't put on any weight. In fact I lost a pound or two. ....For 9 days I've just been lying in bed, eating ice cream, halloween candy, potato chips and brownies. I really don't get it.
                                Grrrrr..... Angry Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."