Masters Running

Sunday 9/14 Harvest Moon run (Read 369 times)

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Mary. I am back and did a different version of my new running program. 1.2 miles walking, then alternated jogging and walking quarters for 2 miles. So I got in 4 quarters of easy jogging for one mile and a total distance today of 3.2. Today I timed the jogging quarters in the event anyone wants to know how slowly I do them. Average was 2:16 each. I figure I am so slow right now I could run with Karin and she would be able to keep up with me (hee hee). Yeah, DickyG is taking the day off. I interpret that to mean 36 holes of golf, six sets of tennis and a softball game tonight, but of course no running. Dicky, did you see the 60's show last night? They couldn't sing as well as the groups from the 50's! Must be the drugs. Was neat to see the Troggs. I knew Chip Taylor years ago when he was good friends with my best friend's older brother in Cornwall, NY. Although he was not the lead singer of the Troggs, he wrote "Wild Thing" among other songs. One of his hits, sung by Merrilee Rush was "Angel in the Morning." Remember that? Other tidbits: he is Jon Voight's brother, and uncle of Angelina Jolie. Lou, you are in great shape, and a bad weather day is a good day to shorten that long run. Once you know you have done the maximum work, bail. How about this? I live in Dallas and not a Cowboy fan. J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets! So we get the Pats today and we're favored! I don't see this at all, but at least it's on TV so I have my afternoon planned. Spareribs
    dg.

hi everybody. Mary, you should be geeked! You were awesome. what an accomplishment. (&... it just took Ribs calling you lazy? Wink ) I liked both pictures. as usual, no time to catch up. I'm going to see this http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-disappearing-number-ovn-0913sep13,0,4862512.story this afternoon, & still haven't even showered after my run. actually, I just want to go to sleep. Or, at least, take ice to sit on Smile. wtg everybody today. & yesterday. Erika, thanks for your comments recently. I've been thinking about them. I so much don't want to get injured again, & am at that impatient point.... another thing I'm not sure how to figure in is the weight machines that the massage guy suggests... 3 X a week. Last week was my first full week of doing them. I know it's different movements than running... but it is using the same muscles! I guess I'll just keep thinking about that, but since I'm overdue for a cutback week (i keep forgetting) I'll do that & see if I'm less tired. started cutting back today, & it's a good thing because this is absolutely all i had in me. 6.3 miles, 9:51 pace. 6:54 was the max pace. ahr 165, max 179. stopped several times for just a few seconds to catch my breath. I think it was 73F, & at least 100% humidity. prolly more. Wink. Tramps, nice job on your 5K in that weather! I was sort of little bit in a 5K too. My cool down walk ended up being right in the path of one.. Roll eyes Ribs, I hope your cough goes away. I agree with Mary.
        Big win last night for the Red Sox in game two of their doubleheader with the Jays. It didn't look good for a while but they pulled it out with pluck and a little luck. They really needed that win, and now they can afford to lose today's game against Halliday. With all the players Toronto has, especially the pitching, you wonder how they could be in fourth place. We haven't got a TV so I watch baseball on my laptop, which has been to Kosovo and back. Some remarkable runs already this morning. Before I even got out of bed, lamerunner did 22 miles--imagine if lamerunner were healthy? 20.7 from the indefatigable CNY, and 20.3 from PDR at 11:00 pace which I find amazing, because it actually hurts my legs to go much slower than 9:00. No running for me today: I've already had a big week with 21 miles. I may just tap-dance on the runway till I get tired. Dark Horse, the Juan Agosto of Latin teachers
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
          I had a 20 mile long run scheduled for today so one of my running buddies (Brian who happened to be quoted on page 89 of the new Runner's World this month). Anyway we decided to hed out at 5:30 and put in a 12 mile run - started out fairly easy building up to marathon pace. We met our regular group afterwards and I aimed for a nice easy run of 8 miles at about 1 mile over marathon pace. Sunday - 12.02 miles - 1:32:39 (7:42) mp run - Avg HR 136 Max HR 149 - 62 and light rain 8:32 - 119 / 128 8:01 - 129 / 135 7:50 - 131 / 136 7:48 - 136 / 139 7:38 - 136 / 139 7:40 - 140 / 145 7:29 - 138 / 143 7:34 - 140 / 143 7:32 - 141 / 145 7:37 - 141 / 144 7:32 - 143 / 147 7:17 - 145 / 148 :05 - 148 / 148 8.08 miles - slow and easy mp + 1 min - 1:09:41 (8:37) - Avg HR 131 Max HR 146 - 65 and heavier rain. 9:01 - 8:48 - 8:41 - 8:23 - 8:43 - 8:23 - 8:24 - 8:35 - :38 This one tired me out to say the least but I feel good...now comes the taper! Big grin
          DickyG

NoNo: Congrats! Although you probably meant to say "1000 miles", not "1000K" Sunday long runs: Lamerunner, Lou (even though you cut it a bit short), Karin, PDR, Maine...way to go, everyone! Ribs:
            Today I timed the jogging quarters in the event anyone wants to know how slowly I do them. Average was 2:16 each.
            Well, that's a 9:04 mile...pretty good if you ask me. The local PBS station is running that 60's show in about 1 1/2 hours...I'vegot the DVR set but since I'll be alternating between the Cup race & the Saints game, I'll watch it later. Tramps: I think sub 24 in this miserable weather (we're having the same thing) is great...nice going. dg: Nice run in the soup...I think we're all having the same weather! It's about 12:30 here...temps are already up to 87...and it's "only" 84 in Miami. DickyG
              Went out this morning trying to run 11...that was a little ambitious...10 miles were plenty
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Karin – you rock! I can’t believe someone would think that YOU of all people would have trouble keeping up. Big grin Mary – WAY TO GO on your first 20-miler!! Tammy – nice 10K! Bill – I saw that harvest moon this morning on my run, and for nearly an hour there was a strange huge halo around it that took up half the sky. Erika – pretty nice that your DS can keep a cool head in such a situation. Nono – happy 1000! Lamerunner – nice you got that strong feeling back. This was the warmest morning I’ve run in this summer, 76 degrees and extremely humid at 3:45 am (yup, I said 3:45). I headed out early, hoping that I could complete 20-miles before church, but planning on quitting early if my whispering groin injury started barking. I didn’t make 20, though. I was feeling pretty good at 15 miles, but at 18 miles I reached a point when the desire to walk was almost overwhelming, and although I made a few desultory attempts to keep running, I finally turned off the Garmin and took a short-cut home, walking. 18.25 miles total (ave pace 11:03). In spite of what I thought was adequate hydrating, I was 3 lbs lighter at the end of the run, and my face was raw in places from constantly wiping sweat off with a cloth. Roll eyes I am ramping up my LRs faster than I have done in the past, on much lower weekly mileage, and I really feel my endurance lacking. I sort of crashed the last 1.5 miles. But this week felt better than last week (up until about 17 miles), and next week is a cut back week, due to the HM on Saturday (not racing it, just running it). Mostly I’m just grateful I was able to get out there and run this distance at all, regardless of how slow. Btw – I made it above 40 miles this week for the first time in 12 weeks. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I thought this was a race report for the "Harvest Moon Run" when I clicked on it. Roll eyes Rest day for me anyway.

so just yesterdayi read "i've never regretted going for a run, but i have regretted skipping one" quoted by Chris Beck in Runners World so what did i stupidly do today .......skipped my run because it was raining and i'm not really training for any long runs .............grrrrr now i'm regretting it ..........altho some good did come from it - first, i went back to sleep quite soundly so i must have needed it, second my 14 yr old actually dragged himself out of bed and went to church with me - so i took him out to breakfast/lunch afterward........that was so important to me ......... next i have to meet witth my brothers and sister to plan my mother's 70th b-day and then the Patriots will be playing -- i don't know -- might just chalk it up to a washout and plan a long run tomorrow morning altho it will be alone instead of with my running group like today would have been -- oh welll!! mary - congrats on your 20 miler in the rain - nice job!! karin - guess YOU showed him!! holly - hope your injury heals up soon - glad you can still put in those miles!! bob- great run!! i read your friend's quote in Runners World -- the one i quoted above was on pg 88 nonoruns -- 1000 miles - that's great!! wtg!! dg - nice run - sounds like a lot of us have rainy/humid weather nice long runs out there -- great job everyone!! (except me Sad)) oh -- and someone yesterday mentioned sore arches --- i like rolling my feet on an iced water bottle - i keep a 1liter bottle of frozen water in my freezer -- helps with sore feet and plantar faschitis - can even use it to roll up and down your legs after a long run -- easier to tolerate than an ice bath

denise

Some awesome runners today - lamerunner with 22 and then Karin out with a speedy 20! Karin, I'd offer to run with you sometime if I thought you could keep up with me. Big grin We're also in the tropical-like heat, humidity and rain again today. I'm going to run down by the river tomorrow morning and am anxious to see how full it's going to be. Definitely close to flooding in a few places. No running for me today, just a session on the eliptical and weight machines at the rec center. But the good news is that I have almost no ill effects from yesterday's 5K that I finished at my old race pace. So does this mean I'm finally past the injury that's been plaguing me all year? I'll know more after a longish run tomorrow...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Wanted 16 today, got 0. It must be my turn for an injury, because I can barely walk today. I have a sore spot on my foot, midsection, outer region. I can walk slowly and lightly, or faster if only on the ball/front of the foot. I slowly limped into the gym and did 30 min on the bike and 30 min on the stairmill. Hardly broke a sweat and HR peaked at maybe 120, once. Mostly at 109. Cry I think I will try some swimming this week. I've got no idea how long this will last, but hopefully I'll be running again in a week. Pretty sure running in old shoes two days in a row was the culprit. I had an epiphany today: Even bad runs are good runs. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hello my friends, 3 easy miles for me this beautiful fall like morning. wldchld....after my last run, I iced and massaged my blah blah. It's feeling much better today...thanks for asking! Big grin Enke....snarky? Love it! Just the threat of a reprimand has got me on to good behavior. And what's this about us guys over estimating? I resemble that remark! Hey, that's what we do. hopeful.....very nice 20 miler....congrats on that! Tammy....congrats on that nice 10K nono...1000 miles...WTG! I was shooting for that mark, but will fall woefully short. Ribs....wildthing, you make everything groovy! "Because I'm still in love with you I want to see you dance again Because I'm still in love with you On this harvest moon" ---Neil Young
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Denise, thanks for the suggestion about rolling my foot on the frozen water bottle. I will try that! I like how it combines the rolling and ice into one activity.
                              I should probably let sleeping runners lie, but ever since bcmorant bugged out of here on Thursday, I have been bothered by what happened. Someone quoted a humorous bumper sticker: "The End of an Error Jan. 20, 2009" and said, "Cracked me up!" This struck me as a perfectly innocent and harmless post, but bcmorant reacted: "How someone could put up a post like this on 9/11 of all days is beyond me. ... I sorry, but I am leaving this forum." I am the first to admit that I post way too many inappropriate things, so maybe I am not the best judge, but I saw nothing inappropriate about quoting this humorous bumper sticker. Nor am I being partisan: I can enjoy political humor directed at any target. Moreover, I am baffled as to why someone would think 9/11 is a date on which nobody is supposed to criticize George W. Bush, even humorously. Evidently 9/11 arouses strong emotional reactions in some people, and as we all know, emotions are irrational. However, when we know a topic arouses strong emotions, it is precisely then that we must try all the harder to step back, take a deep breath, and look rationally at things. When we give in to our emotions and act irrationally, we can get into trouble--whether we are dealing with our kids, our co-workers, or U.S. foreign policy. I think it's too bad bcmorant left, and I hope he gets over whatever it was that bothered him, and comes back. We all have bad days--I know I do--and it's important to be able to forgive others, and to forgive ourselves. Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Renee the dog

For the record: 1000K -- 621 miles...that's all -- Wink Some of you must have forgotten all my winter/spring whining about my son's teething! (how you all put up with it almost as much as I did!!!) Seriously, when I signed up for the 1000K, I figured in the usual amount of injuries, my husband's travel schedule, and my horrible sleeping life with the kids. What I didn't figure in was my Mom's stroke, the move, my Dad's death, and HOLY CARP, I'm still done in Sept.! Apparently, I'm better with some hurdles. 1000mi will be my goal for 2009. Big grin Big grin Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!