Masters Running

Sunday 9/14 Harvest Moon run (Read 369 times)

CNY runner, you will be glad you didn't run the Rochester Marathon this year, temps well into the 80's with high humidity. Glad I didn't foolishly try to take on the half today either. I am shooting for next year. For me just an easy 6 in the heat, but another day I ran so I am counting it as a good one. Ohyeah and the Bills are now 2-0!
      You are so right Craneium. I just got off the phone with my in-laws and they watched some of the race (they are in Pittsford near Lock 32). My MIL said people looked pretty fried. I am glad you opted not to run the half. It's steamy out there and here in MA it's gotten warmer and warmer----at 85 right now and the low tonight only 75. I have done the Firecracker 5 miler in Perinton Park in the past That's a fun one. Nonoruns....1000k in this stressful year for you is way cool. I think you are amazing. You guys crack me up. I am no bad a$$ and really just compete with myself, BUT if someone assumes that I am out of shape when I have been working so hard----That's another story and why I was ticked at my former neighbor. He lives just a few miles away now, but is rarely aware of anyone else. Anyway.....my most competitive moves are in the grocery store with Super Granny. Yikes! I took her grocery shopping this afternoon and people were trying to mow her down with their carts. People don't look where they are going---just barge down the aisles and no "Excuse me" or anything. I stuck my elbows out and did some blocking and tackling while she loaded up the cart. Dark Horse---I liked your post. Every mile is a good mile Karin
        Tammy, congrats on the 10K PR. nono, good job on the 1000K. Tramps, nice job in your 5K. Nice long runs for wildchild, breger, lame, WRFB, CNY, PDR, maine, lynden, and Holly. This morning it was in the low to mid 70s, overcast, misty, and humid. I got in 3.63 miles (as per DickyG's suggestion, the .63 evened out the .27 on Thursday's run). It took me 35:39 for a 9:46 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          Sorry Nonoruns....my bad...you know how us guys always over estimate stuff! 1000K is quite an accomplishment....CNY is right you are amazing.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Henrun

(posted by Marj) We ran a local 5K race today, Brian Honan 2 miles from the house. As reported by others, the rains poured, but fortunately for us they stopped at 11:55 and the race started at noon and stayed dry and humid. Many politicos including Kerry and Menino (Boston mayor) to send us off - an election year with Kerry being challenged in a primary in 2 weeks. Bottom line - I did well 29.20 good for a first in age group with slow walker only other entrant in my age group. prize: new pair of new balance shoes and dinner certificate. Henrun ran well, but didn't place because of 8 minute runner competitors. But I can't run in NB, so he gets my award.

Renee the dog

Sorry Nonoruns....my bad...you know how us guys always over estimate stuff!
              You are killing me! (need smiley with laughter and tears together) I would just say you are reading my mind for 2009. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Maniac 505

No run for me today, but I met up with a certain barefoot runner for the local bike club annual Salmon Spawning Cycle. The start/finish line is about 2 blocks from my condo. 5 different distances are offered to make it a family friendly event, 4, 8, 14 miles, and for the more adventurous, 33 and 55 mile loops We started on the 55 mile/1700' of climbing loop the first of the two food stops was ab about mile 30, the first 20 miles showed some good sites, rolling hills, and a dicey section of gravel. at about mile 20, Jon decided to take a short cut to the fish ladder (the second of the food stops), I continued on the remainder of the course, over much of the Seattle Marathon course. The course was marked with stencils of Salmon on the road with directional arrows. Mostly easy to follow, but at about mile 40 we were directed to turn into a park for a water stop, It turned out that the park was being used as a staging area for the three day walk for the cure, OOPS/ At the locks I again ran into a certain barefoot runner, hanging out with the fish This is just one of the 21 rungs in the ladder where the fish move from salt water to fresh From the fish ladder, it was a about 10 miles back to the finish, but I decided I hadn't seen enough hills, since I ride and run this area regularly I deviated from the course, followed a long downhill for over a mile, then a long steep climb back to the course, probably made for an total of about 2000' of climbing. Fun day, and a fairly good workout. Dave

Maniac 505

No run for me today, but I met up with a certain barefoot runner for the local bike club annual Salmon Spawning Cycle. The start/finish line is about 2 blocks from my condo. 5 different distances are offered to make it a family friendly event, 4, 8, 14 miles, and for the more adventurous, 33 and 55 mile loops We started on the 55 mile/1700' of climbing loop the first of the two food stops was ab about mile 30, the first 20 miles showed some good sites, rolling hills, and a dicey section of gravel. at about mile 20, Jon decided to take a short cut to the fish ladder (the second of the food stops), I continued on the remainder of the course, over much of the Seattle Marathon course. The course was marked with stencils of Salmon on the road with directional arrows. Mostly easy to follow, but at about mile 40 we were directed to turn into a park for a water stop, It turned out that the park was being used as a staging area for the three day walk for the cure, OOPS/ At the locks I again ran into a certain barefoot runner, hanging out with the fish This is just one of the 21 rungs in the ladder where the fish move from salt water to fresh From the fish ladder, it was a about 10 miles back to the finish, but I decided I hadn't seen enough hills, since I ride and run this area regularly I deviated from the course, followed a long downhill for over a mile, then a long steep climb back to the course, probably made for an total of about 2000' of climbing. Fun day, and a fairly good workout. Dave
                  evanflein

I get to follow a double-divechief post! Nice ride, Dave, and fun to keep meeting up with Tet. Holly, it does seem like you're ramping up a bit fast... I was surprised to see that 18 on the 40/40 thread as your goal today, and just thought "ooooh boy, hope she's careful!" Glad you made it through, even with the tough finish. Nonoruns, good for you on the 1000k milestone! The year's not over...keep going! Now you can just see how far you can make it, with the 1000 mile goal next year. You have had a tough year. Nice long runs for a lot of you. Ok, Denise, pass for you today! I ran the last 10.3 miles of the Equinox course today. Took me 1:23:45 for an avg 8:08 pace. Couldn't believe how many sub-8 miles I had today. I know I won't cover it that fast next week, but it was a real confidence booster today. I was able to find all the muddy spots, and slick places with the rain we've had and all the leaves that are down. The trail is actually in better shape than I thought it would be, so that's good. Now my foot is in a bucket of ice water... all those downhill miles on pavement were kind of hard on it. This week will be for resting and icing, so hopefully I'll be in good shape for next Saturday.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good run, Erika! Wow, it helps when you guys post things like sticking your feet in ice water - sometimes I feel discouraged, like my body doesn't hold up as well as it should. But if I'm not alone, I'll keep hanging in there! I am relieved that the ice and rolling have made my left arch feel much better today. I think I'll go for a short run tomorrow to see how it feels. I want to be in top shape for the HM next Sunday (gulp).

King of PhotoShop

Great post Dave, but between us, if Tet keeps up his antics I am going to find a way to feed him to the fishes. And he knows what I mean! Spareribs
                          We're having a heat wave....a tropical heat wave......... Feels like it anyway. Lou - I feel your pain. It was in the 70's here this morning, and raining pretty steadily. My heart rate was in the 170's before I reached the 2 mile point. Fortunately, I was only scheduled for 12.5 miles. Average pace was 10:21 with 167 average HR. The last couple of miles were squishy as the trail was water-covered. nonoruns - 1000 K is excellent!!! Mary - way to go with the 20 miler! Yeah!!! I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow so DH and I can visit the Big E - I'm ready for cream puffs and Vermont apple pie with cheddar cheese - Yum! Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

King of PhotoShop

Here is the RR a good friend of mine posted on my lake club's website regarding the Lewis and Clark Marathon. I thought you would find this interesting: "The race started late leaving thousands of runners exposed to the severe winds and pouring rain for a long time. Finally the race started though I still don't know how people at the very front knew it was okay to start. For the first 1/2 mile we ran past car after car filled with runners who never made it to the starting line. I never fully grasped what the traffic jam was from although the parking lot was flooded. We drove through 3 or 4' feet of water and stepped out of the car into about 6" of water. The wind gusts were incredibly strong -up to 60 MPH (Ray claims to have almost been blown into the Missouri River) and the constant rain hitting your face hurt (imagine glass being flung at your face) yet the camaraderie on the course was great. Runners were in good spirits and chatting more than usual. Much to my surprise the aid stations were well manned and there were even more than a few spectators out cheering. Then the unthinkable happened; runners started running towards us yelling the race is over- you're coming to the finish. The race was canceled. At or near mile 10 (all the mile markers after six had blown over) the course was blocked and everyone was forced to stop running. We heard the rest of the course was flooded. I obviously don't know all that the RD did but canceling the race just didn't seem like the right thing to do. It was a terribly disappointing experience. Then while we cleaned up and showered the weather cleared up and we were back at DFW by 2:00 PM." Spareribs
                              I ran the, " Halfway to St Patrick's Day " 4 mile race in Merrimac Ma. Although it was raining the temp wasin the 70s. Lately my calves have been bothering me so thats my excuse for running my slow 37:50. Mile 1 was 9:12 and the last was 9:08 . But I did feel good after the race and needed to drink mucho water. The raceresults weren't posted before I left so maybe they will be up on CR later.
                                wow Erika!! that was a speedy run!! so i'll take the pass for the long run, BUT i did get out for a run --- whoooohoooooo!! my 14 yr old needed to do an easy 40 minute run over the weekend and he still hadn't gone out yet so we went together --- put in 4 miles - could tell he was holding back for dear old mom and when we turned back down our street for the last 1/2 mile i told him to go on ahead --- sooooooooooo cool!! today was a great day!! life is good!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

denise